Benefits to Purchasing Next Cruise While on Cruise?

I"ve read about several people purchasing or putting down payments on their next cruise while they're on a cruise. Are there benefits, OBC or savings to doing as such? I'm curious and want to be prepared with moola if so. Plus I read that you can pay money towards a cruise you haven't picked yet, like an open ended cruise date. Is there a benefit to this as well or a penalty to not knowing when you'll sail next?

Someone else will probably have more details. I know you buy a certificate for a future cruise (not know the date yet) and you will get 100 obc plus the 100.00 you put down for the certificate goes towards your cruise. Also if you find a TA that has obc, prepaid tips, etc you'll get that as well.

I booked a Greek Islands cruise for Oct 2014 when I was on the Allure.

RCCL changed the dates and itinerary. The new ones didn't work for

Me. So I rebooked a Transatlantic on the Adventure of the seas. Because

I booked on board and the cruise was a long one. I made $200 OBC. And

Because RCCL changed my plans, I made another $200 OBC. Not too bad

For a $100 deposit. :)

is it a voucher or code they give you? Or is it linked to your name in anyway?

I want to get on board and purchase a cruise for my mom/dad, but not sure of the feasibility of this (assuming I'm trying to get the perks for them).

Linked to your name. I purchased several years ago and just called earlier this week and it was linked to my name.

Dont know about applying to others if you are not going.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

You won't get any credit for booking for them. There used to be two friends and family certificates that were included with the "Next Cruise Certificate" but they no longer do that. A suggestion, only book a "next cruise" in one name only...that way you are just putting $100 deposit down AND put a TBA for ship and sail date, that way you can decide later when you want to cruise. When you get on the ship there is a Future Cruise person you can see or they usually have forms that you just fill out, put in a box near that area and then they will deliver paperwork to your room before you leave the ship.

Each NCC costs $100, it has a name on it and gives you an actual booking number. You will also receive a $100 OBC (per cabin, not per person) to use aboard when you convert the NCC to an actual cruise booking. The original $100 you paid for the NCC now becomes the deposit for one person. So if you are booking for a couple, you would need to add another $100 for the second person's deposit at the time you book. Then you would just pay the balance before the final payment date just like any other booking.

You can change cruises with no problem but your booking number always remains the same as the one on the cert.

Hope this helps!

Each NCC costs $100, it has a name on it and gives you an actual booking number. You will also receive a $100 OBC (per cabin, not per person) to use aboard when you convert the NCC to an actual cruise booking. The original $100 you paid for the NCC now becomes the deposit for one person. So if you are booking for a couple, you would need to add another $100 for the second person's deposit at the time you book. Then you would just pay the balance before the final payment date just like any other booking.

You can change cruises with no problem but your booking number always remains the same as the one on the cert.

Hope this helps!

If I am reading this right, I have the option of booking just in my name for $100 that includes $100 OBC, or the option of booking as a couple which includes a deposit of $200 but still only for $100 OBC...

jeez, royal really putting the pressure on couples to stay together!

Couple of caveats you need to be aware of if you purchase a NCC.

First, you need to choose either a travel agent (TA) or have RCCL to make your future reservation. If you choose RCCL, I believe you have 90 days to make a switch to a travel agent. If you choose the TA (default is the one who made your current reservation), you cannot change it. So, if you see a better deal with a different TA, you cannot use your NCC.

The NCC does not ever expire (unlike NCL, which I believes gives you three years to pick a cruise). Not sure what the other cruise lines do.

Yes, you can buy a NCC in the name of your spouse. But you can only use one NCC per cabin. Last cruise I was on, I was told we could use one for my wife and one for me (so I purchased two, one for me and one for my wife). When it came time to book our next cruise, we were told we could only use one NCC per cabin. Oh well, guess we will just have to take another cruise. :D

The NCC cannot be used with all promotions. We chose our NCC to be with our TA (CruCon) and many of their promotions cannot be combined with the NCC. Once again, not sure what other TAs do.

Just to add what has already been posted. OBC is dependent on length of cruise

$25 for sailings of 3-5 nights

$100 for sailings of 6-9 nights

$150 for sailings of 10-14 nights

$200 for sailings of 15+ nights

When you create a Decide Later Booking your initial Deposit is $100pp and, yes, you can put it in one name only. When you convert that Decide Later Booking into a specific booking, you would add an additional name for another $100 with no further money due until final payment.

However, if, when converting your Decide Later booking, you book a Grand Suite or higher cabin category then a full double deposit will be required.

$200pp for 3-5 nights

$500pp for 6-9 nights

$900pp for 10+ nights

You are allowed to create 3 Decide Later Bookings per person per cruise.

Interestingly, I got a NCC in March 2013... and just received an email that said "Thank you for taking advantage of our NextCruise program. Now is the best time to plan your next cruise. Remember, you received two NextCruise Certificates for family and friends to sail with you...."

I thought they had removed this part of the program prior to March?

There used to be two friends and family certificates that were included with the "Next Cruise Certificate" but they no longer do that.

Interestingly, I got a NCC in March 2013... and just received an email that said "Thank you for taking advantage of our NextCruise program. Now is the best time to plan your next cruise. Remember, you received two NextCruise Certificates for family and friends to sail with you...."

I thought they had removed this part of the program prior to March?

They did. Looks like Marketing didn't get the inter-office memo, or if they did, they didn't read it.:D

• 3 weeks later...

I think I already know the answer to this, but with our Royal Caribbean credit card points now applicable to all RCI ships, I thought I'd ask if that flexibility was expected to extend to NextCruise Open Booking certificates. Can I opt to book a Celebrity cruise using my NCC, or are they strictly good toward a cruise on a Royal Caribbean branded vessel?

I think I already know the answer to this, but with our Royal Caribbean credit card points now applicable to all RCI ships, I thought I'd ask if that flexibility was expected to extend to NextCruise Open Booking certificates. Can I opt to book a Celebrity cruise using my NCC, or are they strictly good toward a cruise on a Royal Caribbean branded vessel?

You would have to have a Celebrity Passage which is their equivalent to a NCC. With the CP you could then use your points.

Fyi you can purchase ncc onboard for others who are not on the cruise with you when you buy (a friend just purchased one each for me and my daughter when she was on board the oasis. I had given her all my address, phone, c&a, payment info, etc. to make the purchase for me.)

I'm sure it would be easy to purchase one for friends and family... Of course,I preferred when the friends and family received the same benefit ($obc depending on length of trip, $100 deposit) without having to purchase then a separate certificate in advance in their names... but there is more flexibility this way. On the old f&f system, they had to be sailing with you on the same cruise, and book within 30 days of your biking date...now they can book whatever cruise they want, whenever they want.

Also, you can purchase a celebrity passages onboard any rc ship and vice versa.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

You would have to have a Celebrity Passage which is their equivalent to a NCC. With the CP you could then use your points.

I assume they are NOT inter-changeable. In other words, I couldn't buy one and then opt to cruise the other line. I was hoping for the flexibility to choose an itinerary from EITHER Celebrity or RCL. Have never tried Celebrity, but would like to at some point.

Thanks!

Is anyone afraid of misplacing them? Or has anyone misplaced a booking certificate. I'm worried RCL might not be able to "locate" a booking after a year or so has passed. Any feedback ?

When creating a Decide Later booking it is linked to your C&A Number. If you misplace your confirmation invoice, you can call C&A and they can look up the booking number for you using your C&A number.

Is anyone afraid of misplacing them? Or has anyone misplaced a booking certificate. I'm worried RCL might not be able to "locate" a booking after a year or so has passed. Any feedback ?

Its been a while since I sailed RCCL and called them a few weeks ago and they had mine on file.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Archived