Add A Jewish Style Deli on Royal

Jewish people make up less than 1 percent of the world's population. About 14 million worldwide, half of which live in the USA and Israel. Most people who cruise have no idea what a Jewish deli is. The best Pastrami comes from the plate and is expensive as are good locks. Look how they mess up Pizza!

Our Jewish Delis are dwindling in South Florida and we have a large Jewish population.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

People who aren't Jewish eat Jewish style food ... just like non Germans will eat German food, Asian food, Mexican, etc etc etc

The amount of Jewish people in the world doesn't necessarily equate to most cruisers not knowing what a Jewish deli is.

A lot of the Rabbi's are cross trained....hahaha.

The Moiles are complaining......lol

the Moil who did my son, was my father's colleague, a schochet*. He was "cross-trained" and did a good job, but talk about a nervous Jewish mother!:eek:

The gentleman considered it an honor to do my father's grandson and would not take a penny. Not only that, he asked to be allowed to have that honor. You don't say no to that kind of kovod (honor)

* a schochet is a Jewish ritual slaughterer. The training to be one is longer and more arduous than the training to become a rabbi.

They are ok if nothing else is available and you happen to be hanging out down in the Bowery. I'd drive 10 minutes to Russ & Daughters for some Sturgeon and Salmon instead.

Never heard of them and they might even be good, but I thought we were talking about knishes not fish

I would love to see a Jewish style deli like Katz's or the Carnegie Deli. It sure would be better than Izumi's.

Why are you making this either/or. I love good deli and also the hot stone cooking at Izumi. One is a better lunch and the other is dinner. There is also no good reason why it wouldn't be Park Cafe to carve corned beef or pastrami, just as they do roast beef.

Why are you making this either/or. I love good deli and also the hot stone cooking at Izumi. One is a better lunch and the other is dinner. There is also no good reason why it wouldn't be Park Cafe to carve corned beef or pastrami, just as they do roast beef.

The thing with fresh pastrami is that it needs to be kept warm in the brine. They stab it and throw it on to the carving board. Then after they carve some, it goes back in the brine until they are ready to carve some more. It's not like a roast beef that would be left out under a heat lamp.

We were on Voyager on a transatlantic on Chanukah and the latkes and donuts were so greasy and yucky. I would have volunteered to make them myself if they'd have asked. :D

Oh too bad! They were good on the Liberty but we were sailing from Miami..lol so they must have brought them on from there...or knew they needed to step up their game for the Miami crowd. :)

I grew up in Woodhaven and still remember the knish's from there. That place is amazing. I wish there was one in Florida.

I lived in Forest Hills from 1975 until 2002, so I have made many pit stops over there. My Mom still lives in the area, so I am always in and out of the Knish Nosh.

They make whats called a Cabbage Dog which I just love. It is a Hebrew National Hot Dog that they wrap up in Knish Dough. They add cooked cabbage and some of the mashed potato mixture and then bake it. That and the Kasha knishes are my favorite.

I lived in Forest Hills from 1975 until 2002, so I have made many pit stops over there. My Mom still lives in the area, so I am always in and out of the Knish Nosh.

They make whats called a Cabbage Dog which I just love. It is a Hebrew National Hot Dog that they wrap up in Knish Dough. They add cooked cabbage and some of the mashed potato mixture and then bake it. That and the Kasha knishes are my favorite.

Ohhhh! How far is this place from JFK? I'll be flying through there on Friday! Even better - I'll be somewhere along Queens Blvd on Saturday!

Very interesting thread. But you're all forgetting one important ingredient - the ship kitchens are too clean! Its the aroma of fatty meat in the air and the tang of pickles that add an extra "something." To make a pastrami sandwich taste "like it used to," they would have to transplant a NY deli (the Stage Deli is probably available since it closed not too long ago) and rebuild it on a ship.

And another thing - mayo and white bread will be banned!

Ohhhh! How far is this place from JFK? I'll be flying through there on Friday! Even better - I'll be somewhere along Queens Blvd on Saturday!

Knish Nosh

100-30 Queens Blvd

Forest Hills, NY 11375

Right at the corner of 67th Avenue & Queens Blvd. You can buy them hot and ready to eat, or you can get them cold.

And another thing - mayo and white bread will be banned!

I actually witnessed this in person. A bunch of us went out to a deli for lunch. And my sister in-law ordered Pastrami on white toast with Mayo. Everybodies head turned at the same time. Too funny.

Not trying to be a smart A**, but it make about as much sense to have a food venue for all other ethnic groups.

Agree what happens when the kids grow up???? Never heard mine ask for a good Jewish deli. It's kind of like putting in a margarittavile also for old folks ?

I think a sandwich or two is fine. Something for everyone.

I agree with the thought up-thread about being careful with how they present it. As someone who grew up keeping kosher, and keeps a kosher home, I would be upset to think of the idea of kashrut being misrepresented. Stick to the comfort food side, and that could work.

I do love deli, though. I'd love a good round potato knish, with a black-cherry soda on the side.

Or better yet, have a Bialy bakery!!!

i actually witnessed this in person. A bunch of us went out to a deli for lunch. And my sister in-law ordered pastrami on white toast with mayo. Everybodies head turned at the same time. Too funny.

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :(

I agree with the thought up-thread about being careful with how they present it. As someone who grew up keeping kosher, and keeps a kosher home, I would be upset to think of the idea of kashrut being misrepresented. Stick to the comfort food side, and that could work.

I do love deli, though. I'd love a good round potato knish, with a black-cherry soda on the side.

Or better yet, have a Bialy bakery!!!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM a good Bialy :)

Then you would have to add egg creams , and 2 cent plains. The ships will have to stock up on Fox's U Bet .*LOL*

Hey is anyone else getting hungry ?

Archived