Best shopping opportunities

shrkdive1

When we go away on vacation we enjoy bringing home something very unique and local to the area. As we are booked on the 10 night Society Islands and Tuamotus in November, I was wondering what types of souveniers are suggested and which islands have the best shopping?

Also, my wife will likely buy some pearls. Where would those that have been to FP before suggest we shop? Are the pearl farms good choices or should we purchase only from a larger store? We are taking Marc's motu picnic tour on Huahine for example which stops at a pearl farm. This is the first island we stop at so I don't know if it is a good idea to buy some pearls right away or wait until later in the trip?

Shrkdive1

Much has been written about shopping and pearls.

There are all kinds available from cheap trinkets to omplete strands and others set in gold and diamonds.

My suggestion is start ith our budget and your hearts desire nd move out from there. Peruse some sites in advance...Eva Perles, Tahia, Justin hunter etc as a starting point. Pearls are a wonderful memory.

Vanilla beans and products

Jams, soaps lotions etc

Pareos

To name a few.

Thank you Emdee. This is great advice. I'm sure pearls will be our main purchase as these will give us a lifetime of memories. We will try to look online and do our research before we arrive so that we know what we are looking for and approximate prices to know if we are getting a good deal.

When you buy the pearls its not about the deal necessarily. However you have to see what calls you! If nothing does then dont buy anything expensive. They can be a major purchase so its better to be sure of what you want. I only bought my strand on my 5th trip to Tahiti before that just some smaller pieces. You will get a lot of smaller pieces at Motu Mahana as well. Take cash there for inexpensive shell jewellery and a card in case you fall in love with a larger item.

Maybe you didn't shop at the right place?

Every time we go my BH buys many pearls, probably well over a 100 now. Every time she gets back she takes them to her jeweler. Every time the jeweler says they are worth much more than what we paid ............. just sayin'

If your on a Cook Islands cruise you might want to check there as the prices seem to be a bit better than French Polynesia.

I found the prices in Raro cheaper but didnt fancy anything. I got a huge size 18 yellow pearl in Fiji....

I am a Tahia and Robert Wan fan for the good stuff. For the cheaper stuff it just depends on the pearl.

Yes I know you can get the pearls cheaper in the US but not the variety of lustre. Besides when I wear my Tahaitian stuff I think about FP and thats worth a lot to me!

French Polynesia is not necessarily a shopper's paradise. Good pearls are expensive. In FP what you get, that you don't get in the US, is selection.

I had fun on the Motu buying and at the docks (Moorea). Nice everyday pearls.

Try the vanilla lotion on the motu. I loved it and wished I had purchased more of it.

I picked up some straw baskets as reminders of Fiji, Tonga, Tahiti,Guatemala, Mexico and a few other places.

I have brought home soaps as gifts and used them as sachets.

Not one in here over $50 bucks ........... lots of fun. This was about 2% of the pearls this shop had :eek:

You can see one in the dish to the right side. My BH found one she liked out of that big bunch. Then she was on to the next big bunch .....

pearls_zps071c3f9a.jpg

Archived