Sunset House Questions

Dabaras

I'm heading to Sunset House for shore diving in a couple of months and I had a few questions.

1. How far is it from the tender drop off. I've read 10 minute walk, 10 minute cab, $10 cab, and a few other variations.

2. Will they rent you a locker or is that just for the hotel guests?

3. Any problems getting a cab back?

Thanks

1. How far is it from the tender drop off. I've read 10 minute walk, 10 minute cab, $10 cab, and a few other variations.

1 mile or less depending on which tender landing you start from. During my stay in March we walked to town several times for dinner; under 15 minutes. Easy to find on Google Earth and verify. Web site says 1 mile from downtown. A taxi IS silly expensive for the distance .... welcome to the Cayman Islands where you US dollar is only worth 80 cents CI. Remember she may LOOK 20, but she's 16 CI. {your US $20, is $16 CI}

2. Will they rent you a locker or is that just for the hotel guests?

officially - just for hotel guests; a locker is included with your room/dive package. But it never hurts to ask . . . I keep my money, ship card, driv' lic (photo ID) and credit card on me when I cruise dive there - leave my gear bag and clothes on the sea wall. No one has ever bothered it. Typically there are thousands of dollars of dive gear in the same area drying in the sun . . . or bring a non-diver to watch your stuff and buy them lunch at My Bar . . .

3. Any problems getting a cab back?

I've asked the bartender or front desk to call one and never had a problem - but don't wait until the last minute because you can wait 15 minutes for one to show up ... if you take a taxi TO, you can usually pre-arrange a pickup from the same driver. It is not unusual for taxi to hang at My Bar 'tween fares but that's not g'tee.

Thanks for the reply. My goal is to walk there and catch a taxi back. I'm going to try and get on the first tender so I can get three shore dives in before catching a cab back.

Remember not to try to walk back in your damp swim trunks. Hubby made that mistake and some raw thighs to deal with. ;)

Something to consider: If you are walking to Sunset House from Georgetown, you will be going right past EdenRock Dive center. From there, it is a very easy shore dive to Eden Rock and Devils Grotto, both of which are better (in my opinion) than the shore diving off Sunset House.

Loved the folks at Sunset House. Made three trips with them and planning another week next year.

Something to consider: If you are walking to Sunset House from Georgetown, you will be going right past EdenRock Dive center. From there, it is a very easy shore dive to Eden Rock and Devils Grotto, both of which are better (in my opinion) than the shore diving off Sunset House.

Loved the folks at Sunset House. Made three trips with them and planning another week next year.

I agree, Eden Rock is a fabulous to dive and the shop is great. It's an easy walk there, too.

http://www.caribjournal.com/2013/05/24/the-caribbeans-best-dive-resorts-2013/

Guess who's #1 on this list :p

yes, I know, EDEN can not make the list because it is a dive shop and site and not a resort/hotel . . .

Yes EDEN is a great dive and this topic has been discussed many many times. Which is better, is subjective . . . I've been to both many times, but since I do week long stays at Sunset House I've curiously more dives on the "house reef". But much of my diving is finding a spot and sitting down and waiting to see what comes out when I'm not paddling about (esp at night) so the house reef works for me.

Some folks factor in more than 'nearest the tenders' when choosing a shore dive in Cayman ... for a day excursion some folks find Sunset offers a better experience.

If you see extensive discussion of the differences, search Sunset House and/or Eden Rock in this and the Cayman Islands forums . . . .

Distance really isn't a factor in choosing between the two because it's insignificant. I understand you have a thing for Sunset House, that's fine, lots of people like it. I happen to like the dives at Eden Rock and have hundreds of fabulous underwater pictures from there. I also prefer to avoid the hassle of dealing with taxis. Eden Rock has lockers available where you suit up, and there's a great restaurant and bar just a couple of buildings past as you walk back to the port.

For an extended stay, I certainly can understanding going to Sunset House. But for a day stop, I would always go to Eden Rock.

so I can get three shore dives in before catching a cab back.

aggressive! .... be careful .... you CAN get DEEP off Sunset, but can also find PLENTY without exceeding 60 feet.

Two is usually PLENTY for me .... cuz I want My Bar Time!!

100_0119_zpsd727fca8.jpg

me and dd lunching at My Bar

For an extended stay, I certainly can understanding going to Sunset House

and if the cruise crowd ever does discover SH in force the place will probably switch to the policy of CocoView

Cruise Ship & Day Guests: Coco View is a dedicated dive resort catering to the guests that have chosen CoCo View as their vacation destination. As a common practice we do not accept cruise ship, walk-in or day guests. This allows us to focus our resources on our registered guests, many whom have commented that they appreciate the privacy and security that this policy provides.

The BIG difference at SH vs ER is the number of divers. My March dive at Eden - there must have been nearly 100 on the site - divers waited in queue to go into a swim-thru and when you surfaced there were a half dozen dive boats. Eden is a GREAT DIVE, when no cruise ships are in. At Sunset, I seldom saw another diver.

But I've over spoke my position so I close out comments on this thread . . .

Sunset, imo; is far superior diving, and is worth taking the ridiculously expensive cab to and fro. It is walkable without toting dive gear--not with, at least for us! I have done both Sunset and Eden over the past 25 years a number of times. The next cruise, I think we will take the public bus north to DiveTech at Lighthouse Point and do a shore dive. Another good shore dive is just north of the Turtle Farm next to the Cracked Conch restaurant--there's a place to rent gear, set up in the shade, etc. The bus goes by there as well.

We've had no problems getting a cab. But my sister did have some trouble getting one and doesn't care to go back. We have used the lockers and they loaned us a lock. As the Capt said--it's up to them!

so I can get three shore dives in before catching a cab back.

aggressive! .... be careful .... you CAN get DEEP off Sunset, but can also find PLENTY without exceeding 60 feet.

I usually don't go deep when I'm off by myself. If I try to get three in, I'll most likely use nitrox to mitigate the risk. Both Sunset and Eden seem to offer it for not much more than air.

Archived