St Remy, Les Baux, Arles in a rental car

Chardpink

Well, unfortunately you would be coming to St Remy on a Friday which is not market day. We have previously rented an apartment in this delightful town and used to watch the tours come an go. But other then being a cute town, there is not much for tourism other then some of the shops. But just outside St Remy there are the Glanum ruins which are actually quite extensive and interesting if you enjoy old Roman ruins.

Les Baux is a favorite tourist desination, and with good reason. The hilltop town is quite charming (if its not packed with tourists) with plenty of cute shops and cafes/restaurants. Arles, is a large city with everything you expect in a large city plus some interesting ruins.

Hank

Docking in Marseille on 9/20 (NCL Epic) and renting a car to drive to St, Remy, Les Baux, and Arles. Need suggestions for what to do/see, where to eat/shop, etc. in each. Anything. THANKS!

I agree with what Hank said. Les Baux is a favorite of mine as well.As for eating and shopping you can check menu's posted in front of most restos and pick what grabs you as well as what shops just call your name.Great area for lots of things such as tabelcloths,lavander,pate's etc. I liked LB for cloth.Have a great visit.

If you like French markets Fontvieille has a market on Friday - it's right on the way from Arles to Les Baux.

http://www.just-provence.com/location-14-bouches-du-rhone-fontvieille.php

In St. Remy - we enjoyed the Van Gogh walk. http://www.just-provence.com/location-12-bouches-du-rhone-saint-remy-de-provence-provence-rentals.php

• 1 month later...

I see you have already sailed however for anyone else considering Les Baux, we recently spent 3 days with Les Baux as our base and there is lots to do right in this area. And if you are here, you must go see Carrieres de Lumieres.....it was one of the highlights for us of the three weeks we spent in France. http://www.carrieres-lumieres.com/en/home

Between the medieval village, exploring the hilltop chateaux, and Carriers de Lumieres, you can easily spend most of the day right in Les Baux (not to mention local wineries, olive groves, etc).

If you are interested, there are lots of photos of this area on the link to our travel journal in my signature below. This trip was not a cruise so choose the "land vacations" tab and select "France 2013". The Les Baux info is towards the bottom of the first page.

Happy travels!

Archived