Canada/New England Cruises......Lobster Ports......

sail7seas

:D Did you really mean to say you love to "chew on the bodies"?

I'm just picturing a nice lady like you sitting at the dining table holding a whole lobster body and chomping down on it. :eek:

Mark

Aren't you nice to picture me as the perfect lady. :D

Actually,it is for eating those parts of the lobster that they make utensils such as lobster picks/forks. When dealing with a three and a half pound lobster, there are large pieces of lobster meat that one does not have to work very hard to get. I wish I knew how to post it, but there are some really excellent drawings showing 'how to eat a lobster' which picture how to break apart the body without putting the whole thing stuffed onto one's face. ;)

You can cook?

Hope you didn't burn the water on Monday.....

:rolleyes: :cool:

You are soooo BAD, Mr. Vic.

I'm a great cook according to my family and friends. Loads of wonderful dinners have been prepared by me in my kitchen and I love doing it. Cooking is one of my favorite things to do. (...and I'm an equally good baker. :) )

Burn water, indeed!!!! :p

Doing my best Rodney Dangerfield impression

My wife is such a bad cook........

In my house we pray AFTER we eat

The flys in the neighborhod chipped in and fixed the hole in the screen door.

When the smoke detector goes off....dinners ready!

One thing about my wifes cooking, we finally got the dog to stop begging at the table

:) :) :)

You know I'm only bustin you.....

Good thing you understand my sense of humour.

:)

:D You Bethca!!! You're such a Charmer!!!

....And just angling for an invite the next time I steam up some more three pounders.....and I'll be sure to wear my sequined apron!! ;)

Don't even go there, Vic.....I just KNOW for sure what your next post is going to be!!!! :rolleyes: :D

A 'sequined apron' ????

You KNOW I won't go there, luv!

If I did, the chances of turning back are nil..... :rolleyes:

As far as that fishing suggestion goes, are you inviting me to sample your work? :D

If so, it better be worth the 6 hour drive!

:cool:

Sail - If you happen to see this, can you tell me how long a 3-lb. should steam? I am always afraid of undercooking it... I use Old Bay in the water and get it going to a nice rolling boil, but the steamer in in the pot then add the lobster - it usually turns red pretty quickly, but I always leave it in longer than I should (I think).

I did use your suggestion for the grilled shrimp, even used the Ken's marinade - they were heavenly, my DH & I both thank you for that info!

Sail - If you happen to see this, can you tell me how long a 3-lb. should steam? I am always afraid of undercooking it... I use Old Bay in the water and get it going to a nice rolling boil, but the steamer in in the pot then add the lobster - it usually turns red pretty quickly, but I always leave it in longer than I should (I think).

I did use your suggestion for the grilled shrimp, even used the Ken's marinade - they were heavenly, my DH & I both thank you for that info!

Laura.....

I'm so happy you and your DH enjoyed the shrimp on the barbie. We love them that way.

For a 3 - 3 1/2 pound lobster, use a very large pot. For one or two lobsters, you only need to put about 3 cups of water in the pot. Bring it to a hard boil. Drop in your lobster(s), cover the pot and bring it back to rolling boil on high heat. As soon as you see it is to a boil, lower the heat to between medium and high. It is okay to lift the cover to take a quick look. [i say use a very large pot as the water can boil over even though you have not put in that much.] You may wish to add a little hot water during cooking.

Steam them about 25-30 minutes. Seeing as I paid a King's ransom for those beautiful lobsters, I carefully discussed this with the 'pro' at my lobster pound. He recommended 20 minutes but I knew that was not long enough.

Ours came out PERFECTLY and I left them in the pot (covered) exactly 30 minutes. I cooked four of them in the pot at the same time. IF you can, I recommend you try to get male lobsters. Females of that size have a lot of eggs.

Sail - Thank you so much! I am printing this and will insert it in one of my cookbooks. I will usually order a couple live lobsters and have them shipped because I do love them so much - I also enjoy eating the entire lobster, especially the claws.

I am always second guessing myself when cooking them - but now I no longer need worry. :)

Oh, and thanks for the tip on male vs. female - I did not know that. I will let you know how I fare next time I prepare them, which hopefully will be soon.

I can't believe I missed this thread until now.

I grew up in New England and have done alot of camping vacations in Acadia National Park. I don't know what the transportation situation is in Bar Harbor but. If you can get a ride out of town there is a little place called "The Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound". It is on the mainland side of the bridge onto Mt. Desert Island. It looks like a little shack with picnic tables outside and there's a surly guy in charge. The only greeting you will get is "How many, what size?". But the Lobster, steamers and chowder are out of this world!

Trubey - BTW My mom used to make Indian Pudding all the time when

I was growing up. I have a recipe at home somewhere I'll look it up and get it to you.

I'm glad you asked as I'm happy to help.

Seeing as you love eating the whole lobster, you will be amazed at the size of the chunks of lobster from the bodies. Usually on a small lobster, it isn't worth the work for the few shreds you might pick out. On big ones, it's GREAT!

Enjoy.

Well, I was pretty certain I would find it and here it is (Cruise)... "Indian Pudding" page 328 of my Fannie Farmer's Boston School of Cooking Cookbook, though some of the recipes and methods are a bit antiquated, it covers just about everything!

Indian Pudding

5c. scalded milk

1/3c. Indian meal (I have no idea what this is)

1/2c. molasses

1t. salt

1t. ginger

Pour milk slowly on meal, cook in double boiler for twenty minutes, add molasses, salt, and ginger; pour into buttered pudding dish and bake two hours in slow oven; serve with cream. if baked too rapidly it will not whey. Ginger may be omitted.

See what I mean when I say antiquated? I have no idea what Indian meal is or where you get it - also the term "it may not whey" - well, I'm not sure what that means either! (Cruise)

Indian Pudding

Recipe from Publick House ---(A very historic Sturbridge, MA Restaurant) This recipe is printed in Food Treasury of Favorite Receipes from Famous Eating Places published by Simon and Schuster, 1950.

1 quart milk

3 ounces corn meal

3 eggs

4 ounces sugar

1 tsp vanilla

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp salt

1/2 pint molasses

Grated rind of one orange.

Boil milk; add corn meal. Bring to boil and let cook for 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and bake for an hour.

(No oven temperature is given but I would think 350 degrees would be about right.)

Archived