Have you ever had to use the Princess Protection Ins?

P.A.

• 1 year later...

I used Princess CFAR a couple of years ago--canceled when the penalty was 50%, so I got half back in cash and half as a future cruise credit. Very easy to do.

I recently booked another cruise through a travel agent and thought I could get Princess Protection through the agent--but they won't sell it, only their own product that doesn't include CFAR. This is the last time I'll book through an agent! I'll probably by CFAR coverage from TravelInsured, although they only refund 75% of the fare.

I used Princess CFAR a couple of years ago--canceled when the penalty was 50%, so I got half back in cash and half as a future cruise credit. Very easy to do.

I recently booked another cruise through a travel agent and thought I could get Princess Protection through the agent--but they won't sell it, only their own product that doesn't include CFAR. This is the last time I'll book through an agent! I'll probably by CFAR coverage from TravelInsured, although they only refund 75% of the fare.

My travel agent sells the Princess Insurance with the cruise. Perhaps yours only sells the product available through the agency.

Hi Pam:

You seem very knowledgeable about the Princess insurance. I was wondering if you understand the Pre-existing conditions (whatever they may be) clause. I have read it and it is gobbledygook to me. :confused:

I have the Princess best (Platinum I think) that was purchased on the day I booked the cruise. It seem to me that Pre-existing conditions are waived under those circumstances.

Thanks for any help.

Anyone else, feel free to chime in.

Bill :)

I am not Pam....

but the Pre-existing condition means for any condition that is diagnosed, has been recommended to be tested for, or treated in the 60 days immediately prior to the to the effective date you are not covered.

If you have a condition that is solely treated or controlled by medication and they have not been prescribed or adjusted during that 60 day period you are covered.

DH has had coronary artery disease for years and years. Ten days prior to and extended European cruise he had to have triple coronary by-pass surgery and we were sent a check immediately to cover all our cruise fare less the insurance cost.

Hope that helps.

Don't give up on all TAs.

Our TA always asks and assumes we want Princess Insurance.

We had booked, but immediately canceled for other reasons, a cruise from another TA and they tried to talk us into the insurance they sold...we refused and they reluctantly applied Princess Insurance but told us their insurance was so much better....Wrong! They also tried to tell us we couldn't book European hotels on our own because we'd be charged so much more because we'd have to get a rate based on Euros so they'd have to book them. lol

Edited by BJS

My travel agent sells the Princess Insurance with the cruise. Perhaps yours only sells the product available through the agency.

Thanks very much, Patricia! This is very helpful...it defuses the travel agent's argument that they "can't" sell the protection.

Happy sails to you!

I would dump any TA who told me they "can't" offer the Princess Travel Protection. Find a new TA who will treat you right.

I would dump any TA who told me they "can't" offer the Princess Travel Protection. Find a new TA who will treat you right.
I agree 100%. That's just plain wrong.

While on the Royal last week, I was sick and saw the doctor. My Medical Center bill is almost $300 so I'm about to submit a claim to my insurance company and what they don't pay, I'll submit to Princess insurance.

We had to cancel a cruise 2 years ago because I was hospitalized for heart surgery. It was about 3 weeks before the cruise. The Princess insurance covered the entire amount. All we lost was the cost of the insurance. I did need to submit medical forms from my doctor. The claim was received as a credit against my credit card I believe.

I had to cancel less than a month before a cruise. Got all $$$ back except cost of insurance. Most of it was return to credit card the balance become onboard credit. Wouldn't travel without insurance.

Yes we have used the Princess insurance. Wife needed to see the ship doctor on our 2002 Hawaii cruise. The insurance paid for all of the costs. We needed to cancel our Feb. 2013 Hawaii cruise because I had a pulmonary embolism 3 weeks before the cruise. The insurance gave us a total reimbursement less the insurance cost (meaning we were able to go on the cruise in November :cool:). It may or may not make sense to some people, but, the insurance has paid off for us.

We never take a cruise without travel insurance. I usually get Travel Guard though. But, thankfully have never had to use it. I bought Travel Guard back in mid 2011 for a cruise that we wound not going on. Since I didn't use it, I was able to transfer to a future trip. Long story short, we canceled a couple more times and it keeps transferring until you complete your trip. So hopefully on this upcoming Nov sailing, we won't have to cancel again. But I think next time I will go with Princess Ins. We are platinum so we would get the best policy for the cheaper price.

But I was thinking that the travel ins was secondary to your health ins. However some (ar1950 you saw ship Dr and the ins paid for all of it) are saying the travel ins paid for it. Just curious how that works?

Also my TA also sells Princess Ins. ;)

Edited by P.A.

Going through the process right now with having to cancel a 7-day cruise as of Sept. 6th.......35 days before the cruise due to DW's emergency surgery.

Having upgraded to Princess Platinum Insurance, notified Princess on Sept. 6th needing to cancel cruise, received a cancellation notification from Princess that day by email that itemizes the fare information & cancellation fees, and received a little over half the total cruise fare from Princess 5 days later......credited back to our credit card on file.

Remaining portion to be refunded will come from Berkley Insurance after filing a claim with them covering the "cancellation fees". You submit a request for a claim number and within a couple of days you receive confirmation of your request and a claim number..........submitted a 3 page "trip cancellation form" found on Berkley's website, along with a copy of the Princess canellation notice, a copy of the cruise price breakdown, and a copy of the cruise itinerary.

Within a couple days we received confirmation that Berkley received the "faxed" papers and that the claim was being processed which would take 2-3 weeks. After 2 weeks we have not received a check as yet for the remaining amount.

The process has been fairly simple........never cruise without the travel protection insurance......$43.92/person is definitely well spent for each cruise!

But I was thinking that the travel ins was secondary to your health ins. However some (ar1950 you saw ship Dr and the ins paid for all of it) are saying the travel ins paid for it. Just curious how that works?

Keep in mind this was back in 2002 so I don't know how exactly it will work now.

Going through the process right now with having to cancel a 7-day cruise as of Sept. 6th.......35 days before the cruise due to DW's emergency surgery.

Having upgraded to Princess Platinum Insurance, notified Princess on Sept. 6th needing to cancel cruise, received a cancellation notification from Princess that day by email that itemizes the fare information & cancellation fees, and received a little over half the total cruise fare from Princess 5 days later......credited back to our credit card on file.

Remaining portion to be refunded will come from Berkley Insurance after filing a claim with them covering the "cancellation fees". You submit a request for a claim number and within a couple of days you receive confirmation of your request and a claim number..........submitted a 3 page "trip cancellation form" found on Berkley's website, along with a copy of the Princess canellation notice, a copy of the cruise price breakdown, and a copy of the cruise itinerary.

Within a couple days we received confirmation that Berkley received the "faxed" papers and that the claim was being processed which would take 2-3 weeks. After 2 weeks we have not received a check as yet for the remaining amount.

The process has been fairly simple........never cruise without the travel protection insurance......$43.92/person is definitely well spent for each cruise!

And at the end of April, three days before departure to South Africa, we had to cancel for medical reason. We were going to be gone two months. We had Princess EZ Air and everything other than cost of insurance was refunded 100% by Berkeley. Took only about three weeks after submission before they sent us a check. Princess portion taxes, etc. went back to my credit card. We are talking big bucks; well over $20,000.

We never take a cruise without travel insurance. I usually get Travel Guard though. But, thankfully have never had to use it. I bought Travel Guard back in mid 2011 for a cruise that we wound not going on. Since I didn't use it, I was able to transfer to a future trip. Long story short, we canceled a couple more times and it keeps transferring until you complete your trip. So hopefully on this upcoming Nov sailing, we won't have to cancel again. But I think next time I will go with Princess Ins. We are platinum so we would get the best policy for the cheaper price.

Also my TA also sells Princess Ins. ;)

You are correct that Princess Ins. is secondary. Travelex Ins.is primary. Used them for my wife. Just sent a claim to them directly. It would seem if one has a $300 med bill and $250 is paid by regular ins. The balance pmt of $50 by Princess has little value for the money as compared to the cost of the Princess insurance.

We always get the insurance as well. Sometimes our TA's insurance and sometime Princess. Well last year we booked a cruise and I told our TA to use the Princess insurance because we would be upgraded to the platinum insurance for free. Well we got snowed in and couldn't make the cruise. Princess insurance offers a cruise credit due to weather, the TA's would have refunded our money. It all worked out because we used our credit to go on the same cruise a couple of months later.

I did not read all the posts but I have used the coverage offered by Princess several times. Similar to PIA's situation, we once had to cancel a cruise close to the sail date because our daughter was having emergency surgery. Once paperwork was submitted, Berkeley refunded every $ except cost of insurance.

I've also had a few mishaps while on a cruise. At the time, Medicare didn't cover medical expenses incurred outside of U.S. but I still had to submit it to them first. Once Medicare denied my claim(s) Berkeley reimbursed me for my onboard medical expenses.

I won't leave home without it!

On July 29th I had to cancel our bucket list Alaska cruisetour set to begin August 13th. My husband had an unplanned surgery on July 15th that became more complicated than anticipated and resulted in a second hospitalization the following week. During the follow up with the surgeon on July 29th the doctor told us my DH was not well enough to travel. The refundable portion due from Princess was credited to my credit card the very next day. That same day I called Berkley (Princess travel insurer) for a claim number and forms. I promptly completed the forms and provided the other required backup, then sent the physician's statement form to the surgeon's office. Then the waiting game began.

The surgeon's office completed and sent the form after 2-1/2 weeks. Berkley then reviewed this and decided they also needed further documentation from 4 sources; both hospitals that admitted my DH, his primary care doctor and also the surgeon. Berkley said to speed things along I could get them a contact name and fax # for each source. After numerous phone calls I obtained this info and provided it to Berkley.

We are now 2 months into the process and they have received documentation from 2 of the 4 sources. Berkley did say it can take several days from the time they receive documentation to the time they will post it as received for your claim.

Meanwhile I am waiting, waiting. This has been a discouraging process for what was already an unhappy event for us.

On July 29th I had to cancel our bucket list Alaska cruisetour set to begin August 13th. My husband had an unplanned surgery on July 15th that became more complicated than anticipated and resulted in a second hospitalization the following week. During the follow up with the surgeon on July 29th the doctor told us my DH was not well enough to travel. The refundable portion due from Princess was credited to my credit card the very next day. That same day I called Berkley (Princess travel insurer) for a claim number and forms. I promptly completed the forms and provided the other required backup, then sent the physician's statement form to the surgeon's office. Then the waiting game began.

The surgeon's office completed and sent the form after 2-1/2 weeks. Berkley then reviewed this and decided they also needed further documentation from 4 sources; both hospitals that admitted my DH, his primary care doctor and also the surgeon. Berkley said to speed things along I could get them a contact name and fax # for each source. After numerous phone calls I obtained this info and provided it to Berkley.

We are now 2 months into the process and they have received documentation from 2 of the 4 sources. Berkley did say it can take several days from the time they receive documentation to the time they will post it as received for your claim.

Meanwhile I am waiting, waiting. This has been a discouraging process for what was already an unhappy event for us.

Very surprised to read this, since nothing else was requested from us other than the attending physician's statement. They never asked for hospital records, just dates. :confused:

Very surprised to read this, since nothing else was requested from us other than the attending physician's statement. They never asked for hospital records, just dates. :confused:

I fell and broke my wrist on a Friday before we were to fly to FLL on Sunday for a cruise departing on Monday.

I submitted all paperwork requested (emergency room bill was sufficient) within a week and received a check for full reimbursement within two weeks.

I had only purchased the insurance because my father was 93 at the time. He thought it was pretty funny that I had to use it because of me!

But--some claim adjusters are more cautious or perhaps yours was selected for audit/review.

I'm sure you will get your reimbursement soon.

I am surprised as well. We just sent in the form from Berkely that was filled out by the main physician and the names, addresses and phone numbers of the other 3 physicians involved and we had a check within 2 weeks for what Princess didn't reimburse.

Edited by ar1950

I am surprised as well. We just sent in the form from Berkely that was filled out by the main physician and the names, addresses and phone numbers of the other 3 physicians involved and we had a check within 2 weeks for what Princess didn't reimburse.

Nobody could be more surprised than me, especially after I read that others received reimbursement so quickly. I provided all requested hospital and doctors names, addresses and phone numbers on my initial claim form. Perhaps as someone else suggested my claim was selected for audit. I don't really know anything except that all Berkely will tell me is when they have received everything they have requested from these other sources they will review the claim. Until then......waiting and waiting.

Nobody could be more surprised than me, especially after I read that others received reimbursement so quickly. I provided all requested hospital and doctors names, addresses and phone numbers on my initial claim form. Perhaps as someone else suggested my claim was selected for audit. I don't really know anything except that all Berkely will tell me is when they have received everything they have requested from these other sources they will review the claim. Until then......waiting and waiting.

If they don't have the info from 2 of the 4 sources it sounds like a little "gentle" persuasion from you might be in order for those 2 sources. In any event, good luck getting this resolved.