Warnemunde to Berlin

Thinking of a cruise that will stop at Warnemunde and would like to go to Berlin to meet up with family can I get a bus into Berlin without taking a tour.

I think most lines use train transport to Berlin and schedule a direct train and sell transfers to their passengers. This allows usually 5-6 hours of on your own time in Berlin in most cases.

You are having at least a 3 hour train trip to Berlin if you do it on your own and have to switch to the express train in Rostock.

I have never even considered doing this as a European in Warnemunde as this is longer than the flight time from anywhere in Europe and flights are usually inexpensive to Berlin. I do understand the attraction for those that have never been to Berlin though.

Try to put together a small group looking only for transportation to Berlin and then check the Internet. There are tour companies and others that will provide just transportation to and from Berlin. Also, your cruise line may offer an excursion to Berlin providing just transportation with six free hours in Berlin.

• 2 weeks later...

We rented a car in Warnemuende (Europcar - excellent) and drove to a suburb of Berlin, then took the train down to central Berlin. I know it's not for everyone, but it worked well for us.

There ARE a few nonstop trains from Warnemuende to Berlin (or at least there were a year ago), but the schedules may not be correct for your day there. More searching on this board, or asking Anni (Rostock "Here to Help" thread) may give you more info on that.

• 2 years later...

Has anyone taken the transport to Berlin offered by the ship via train? (We are on Celebrity, but I suspect other cruise lines' offerings would be similar).

What are the logistics of the transport? Where does the train leave you off? Is there a bus to then take you to a central location in Berlin or are you on your own from that point?

We are taking the ship's transport and then will do a self-guided tour. We are wondering if we need to then get local transport to Reichstag after getting off the train or if it is walkable.

Thanks-chris

Has anyone taken the transport to Berlin offered by the ship via train? ... Where does the train leave you off?

Trains may arrive at different stations in Berlin, best advice for you is, to contact your cruise line / tour or travel agent, in order to find out, at which station your train will arrive in Berlin on that day.

We are wondering if we need to then get local transport to Reichstag after getting off the train or if it is walkable.

If necessary or wished, just purchase a day ticket in Berlin (german: 'Tageskarte' / maybe ~7 EUR or so / ticket vending machines usually show an option to switch to english language), thus you can get around the city without any problems all the day using all the different types of transport (bus / Rapid Transit / tram etc).

Thinking of a cruise that will stop at Warnemunde and would like to go to Berlin to meet up with family can I get a bus into Berlin without taking a tour.

Ask the company you booked with. Tour bus can give you a lift. Why not? If the price is OK it will be just easier for you.

Jess :)