What happened when you booked a VH guarantee?

comfortcove

We have a VF GTY on our next cruise (Collectors including TA). Initially I booked an Inside but decided to go for it with a verandah. It seems that everyone who reports in on our Roll Call has also booked a GTY!

It's our first time...usually I select the cabin we want and mark "Do not Move" so this is really outside the box for me!

I booked an SZ guarantee on my upcoming Westerdam cruise, which is very out of character for me...I usually select my specific cabin WAY in advance and stay put!

Since this was a last minute reservation and I have so much money tied up in my cancelled Millennium cruise, I thought a guarantee would be a good way to reduce my immediate out-of-pocket expenses and still get a nice big cabin and balcony. Now I just need to stay patient waiting to find out where I land!:)

I sailed on the Westerdam June 29th. 11 days out I received an email from HAL, not TA with my cabin assignment. I was assigned a VB Verandah, a bit aft on deck 6. This cabin had a tub/shower which was nice for a change. It was a nice upgrade I thought.

It is good to hear so many great outcomes! I am just going to be happy to go on a cruise with my husband, and look forward to seeing a ship decked out for Christmas! Having this guarantee is oddly kind of exciting- an incentive to check prices right up until final payment, and anticipating our cabin assignment if we stick with the VH guarantee.

... if we stick with the VH guarantee.
In the seven years I've been on CC I've only heard of two cases where someone booked a VH Gty and actually got assigned one. I think they are often assigned to people who book OV Gtys. So although an upgrade is not a sure thing, the odds are very high IMO.

What do you mean by a metal railing on the VH rooms? can you describe it?

From the balcony rail to the balcony floor, the enclosure is metal rather than plexiglass as on most balconies. You can't see through it.

Not sure I'd be happy with a cabin that has a roll-in shower and no tub. I got a look at a handicapped suite and it would not be my preference. And these can get assigned in a guarantee situation. Just MHO.

We got one of these cabins once when we booked a VH GTY. We loved it! Lots of extra room... we don't care for baths, especially on a Caribbean cruise.

If funds are limited, my advice would be to book the GTY and spend the $$ saved on a nice excursion, or shopping.

We usually book GTY's and never had a bad experience (yet!) :)

Archived