Antarctica

MrsWaldo

Jan 4 like Roxburgh and Cat :)

There were only 9 suites left when i booked in July

Cat i have some reaaaallly good jackets (used in nepal and tibet and I think the SB ones are probably similar)

I'm going with a thermal (icebreaker brand- no smell) as they have been great in nepal and in milford, then a Polartec 150 (also have a 200) weight for the mid layer

purchased some Marmot Skylines (and dang they don't have a zip) for outer.

if worst comes to worst i can put the 150 under the 200 and make 4 layers

every thing i've read is a 260 + 150 polartec+ outer shell is more than adequate

Challenge for Miss W is looking "hot"

Jan 4 like Roxburgh and Cat :)

There were only 9 suites left when i booked in July

Cat i have some reaaaallly good jackets (used in nepal and tibet and I think the SB ones are probably similar)

I'm going with a thermal (icebreaker brand- no smell) as they have been great in nepal and in milford, then a Polartec 150 (also have a 200) weight for the mid layer

purchased some Marmot Skylines (and dang they don't have a zip) for outer.

if worst comes to worst i can put the 150 under the 200 and make 4 layers

every thing i've read is a 260 + 150 polartec+ outer shell is more than adequate

Challenge for Miss W is looking "hot"

Thanks for that I will pass it onto the one who knows what it means

I don't know about me looking hot. I would just like to feel hot :)

Thanks for that I will pass it onto the one who knows what it means

I don't know about me looking hot. I would just like to feel hot :)

toasty warm will do me ;)

Milford in was enough for me )180kmh winds and water to my armpits

But at 18..welllllll fashion is everything until...

I'm not bothered about keeping the jacket. As I have already said, I have a really good ski jacket and, living in Arizona, my need for a winter jacket is limited.

As to other gear, I have my standard ski gear which will get pressed into use. Main question is over whether I take my ski pants which could be a bit bulky to tuck into the rubber boots. I don't really want to buy stuff which will only get used once (I'm parsimonious in that sense).

I also don't think it is going to be bitterly cold so no point in overdoing the thermals. Wind chill is always an issue but if it is really windy I doubt we will be jumping into zodiacs. It will be interesting to find out the experience of people on the early cruises.

I'm not bothered about keeping the jacket. As I have already said, I have a really good ski jacket and, living in Arizona, my need for a winter jacket is limited.

As to other gear, I have my standard ski gear which will get pressed into use. Main question is over whether I take my ski pants which could be a bit bulky to tuck into the rubber boots. I don't really want to buy stuff which will only get used once (I'm parsimonious in that sense).

I also don't think it is going to be bitterly cold so no point in overdoing the thermals. Wind chill is always an issue but if it is really windy I doubt we will be jumping into zodiacs. It will be interesting to find out the experience of people on the early cruises.

LOL as i've said at 16c I'm in the thermals bitterly cold is 10c or less so by my experience it;s gonna be darn freezing,today was 22 and I wore a sweat shirt and tights, I dont swim bellow 30c

I'm happy with one set of thermals, OK don't breath/sniff near me... on a positive Miss and I are same size and she is heading off on Uni exchange next winter to Scandinavia or northern Europe so she will get use

I used the Nepalese gear for a very long time

All relative.. and yes the 1st crusie esp will help

We were in South Georgia and Antarctica in January 2003.

The sea was quite calm for Drakes passage and the weather generally good.

Not too cold with some days the temperature around 32F to 36F and quite

sunny. Some fairly dull days with light snow. Not particulary windy.

The weather was so warm in South Georgia that many of the passengers

sat out for lunch.

The Falklands weather was kind to us also.

Kind regards

Tony

Archived