How to incorporate DSLR into formal wear?

Hi! :)

I need some, let's say a hybrid between fashion advice & photography advice! :D

I have a Canon EOS 60D, and I'm having trouble seeing what I can do with it regarding integrating it into my formal wear. (I'm going to be sailing on Cunard QE in November)

Don't you think it would look really awkward carrying this huge camera, while trying to look all fancy?

What do you think I should do with it, any bag suggestion or something?

My bag: Case Logic DSLR Zoom Camera Holster

Hi! :)

I need some, let's say a hybrid between fashion advice & photography advice! :D

I have a Canon EOS 60D, and I'm having trouble seeing what I can do with it regarding integrating it into my formal wear. (I'm going to be sailing on Cunard QE in November)

Don't you think it would look really awkward carrying this huge camera, while trying to look all fancy?

What do you think I should do with it, any bag suggestion or something?

My bag: Case Logic DSLR Zoom Camera Holster

Your choices for your DSLR at dinner are: Your lap, hanging on the chair and subject to being bumped by the waitstaff, on the dining table with all of the other dishes, or on the floor. None of these choices would be acceptable for my Olympus E5.

If I were you, I would place a small P&S in my tuxedo jacket pocket. It would be discrete, not have a long lens to hit water glasses or fellow diners, have a wider angle lens for near-photography, and and adequate flash for those delicious desserts.

Go back and exchange the P&S for the DSLR after dinner.

I've never had a problem during formal night, or at a formal affair with a DSLR, sometimes its my D4and SB900, or D600 and SB600. Generally I don't bother with a bag nor hang around my neck. Just carry it in, place it next to my chair, or on the table.

Your choices for your DSLR at dinner are: Your lap, hanging on the chair and subject to being bumped by the waitstaff, on the dining table with all of the other dishes, or on the floor. None of these choices would be acceptable for my Olympus E5.

If I were you, I would place a small P&S in my tuxedo jacket pocket. It would be discrete, not have a long lens to hit water glasses or fellow diners, have a wider angle lens for near-photography, and and adequate flash for those delicious desserts.

Go back and exchange the P&S for the DSLR after dinner.

Well, last cruise I put it on my seat, just behind my butt. It seemed to be okay, except for the visual part of physically carrying a little camera holster aroud before/afterwards.

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of having pockets, seeing that I am a girl, and I'll be wearing a dress. :D & I don't think I will be able to trade out my DSLR for a lower quality camera in the dining room, considering the fact that I've been often recognized for my food shots in my trip reports :o

Thanks though!

I've never had a problem during formal night, or at a formal affair with a DSLR, sometimes its my D4and SB900, or D600 and SB600. Generally I don't bother with a bag nor hang around my neck. Just carry it in, place it next to my chair, or on the table.

Hmm, omit the bag completely? Ah, I see. That could very well work! I have worn the camera over a shoulder as if it were a bag before, and it does actually look okay! I just have to have a hand over it at all times to ensure safety, but that very well might just work, thanks! :)

I have to add my vote for the P&S "dinner camera", as my wife calls it. I have yet to encounter anything in the dining room that made me regret switching away from the DSLR for the convenience of a good quality pocket camera.

Of course, that was before I started travelling with my NEX but I still plan to do formal night sans the "big" camera...even if the big camera is only twice as big as the P&S. :)

The best camera to cover all situations is usually two or three cameras.

Dave

I have to add my vote for the P&S "dinner camera", as my wife calls it. I have yet to encounter anything in the dining room that made me regret switching away from the DSLR for the convenience of a good quality pocket camera.

Of course, that was before I started travelling with my NEX but I still plan to do formal night sans the "big" camera...even if the big camera is only twice as big as the P&S. :)

Dave

In all of my cruises, I have seen two cruisers using a DSLR to photograph food in the main dining rooms. My two Olympus DSLRs (E5 and E30) aren't needed to photograph my soup. As to camera choice, to each their own.

My Canon S100 P&S fits in my jacket pocket and my DW's Pentax P&S fits in her very small formal purse.

The close-focusing capability, discrete carrying, excellent saturation capture, and non-intrusive use with our table mates influenced our P&S choices for dining room food photographs.

If someone is predisposed to need a DSLR to photograph their dinner, I support them.

Dave

Thanks for the thoughts Dave, but at dinner, Dad has his P&S while I have my DSLR. If you took a glance at my latest trip report ("Live from"...) linked below, you would see how much my report revolves around pretty food :D So I don't think leaving it behind is an option. Thanks though! :)

In all of my cruises, I have seen two cruisers using a DSLR to photograph food in the main dining rooms. My two Olympus DSLRs (E5 and E30) aren't needed to photograph my soup. As to camera choice, to each their own.

My Canon S100 P&S fits in my jacket pocket and my DW's Pentax P&S fits in her very small formal purse.

The close-focusing capability, discrete carrying, excellent saturation capture, and non-intrusive use with our table mates influenced our P&S choices for dining room food photographs.

If someone is predisposed to need a DSLR to photograph their dinner, I support them.

Was one of those cruisers me? LOL :D there is nothing discrete about my huge camera, when I'm running around with it, everyone can see it :). Unfortunately, my trip reports are usually remembered as "the one with a lot of yummy looking food" and I don't think I can capture the same "yumminess" with a P&S :p.

&& p.s. I've made my family adapt to my extremely intrusiveness :D Literally, it's don't touch the food until I've had my shots LOL

Thanks,

Archived