A Grand time on the Royal Princess Grand Mediterranean Cruise – Aug 10 – 22, 2013

homeinboca

Just read your review and really enjoyed it. You have me really looking forward to time on the Royal this year and the Regal next. Istanbul and Ephaseus were on the top of my list for a return visit. I appreciate knowing the tour companies that worked for you.

Thank you so much. Alice

Hi Alice,

Glad you enjoyed, have a great time on the Royal and the Regal, I hope you enjoy as much as we did!

Ron

Thanks' date=' Julia. Had no idea i could get a cab to P Roma. Do they generally line up at the dock? That sounds the easiest of all.[/quote']

I did see a couple of cabs there, not sure if they were pre-arranged for the airport or not. Perhaps you can call a local cab company to pick you up as its probably just a five minute cab ride.

There is a great website for resources on everything Venice called venice for visitors dot com. It does discuss mobility issues for visitors.

Ron

Disembarkation & Post Cruise Trip to Venice, Italy

Well as they say, all good things come to an end, and sadly it was time to say goodbye to our home for the last 12 days and move on to our next adventures. We chose to keep our luggage with us and just walk off the ship early. But before we left, we went down to the International Cafe for one last latte and said goodbye to the wonderful baristas that made our coffee everyday. These guys are really talented and make a great lattes and cappuccinos. I even got one with a swan design one day!

Ron Goodman, the cruise director was also there and we said goodbye to him and wished him well as he is leaving shortly to join his wife for the birth of their first child. I really enjoyed Ron, and found him one of the nicest cruise directors we’ve met, he was always around and very friendly and genuine. As a matter of fact, all the cruise director's staff were wonderful, especially Dan, who we nicknamed Mr Bean, and had an amazing sense of humor. He made us laugh all the time.

It took awhile to get an elevator as they were quite busy, but we got off ok and headed towards the People Mover. It was a bit of a hike with our luggage, but we made it ok to Piazzale Roma and our hotel was just one bridge away from there. We booked to stay at the Hotel Papadopoli, as the location was very easy for us to get to. We also had a very early flight out so we wanted to be close to the Piazzale so we could get our pre-arranged car to take us to the airport.

We checked in and left our luggage in storage and off we went to explore beautiful Venice. It was very early and the crowds had not arrived yet. It was nice to see Venice when it was quiet like this. At this early time of the day, many of the workers who live on the mainland were arriving for the day a we walked across the new Calatrava Bridge, which spans the Grand Canal towards the train station. This is the newest and last bridge that was built to span the Grand Canal - it has a new modern look that many locals don’t like as it doesn’t really fit into the Venetian renaissance style of architecture.

We wanted to explore some of the quieter and less touristy areas of Venice today so we headed past the train station on the north side of the canal towards the Cannaregio district. This area is more frequented by locals than tourists and you can see some really interesting markets and shops here. We found a nice cafe and sat and just people watched for a while. We also went to visit the Campo de Gheto Novo, the site of the Jewish Ghetto of Venice. The site was near a geto (foundry) and the term caught on across Europe as a word for segregated community.

It was fascinating to see the history here, where over 5,000 people lived in a small area in six story buildings. There is a museum and you can get to see 3 ancient synagogues that have survived to this day. Afterwards we stopped for a nice lunch along one of the canals and just relaxed. It was nice to have no agenda, and see a part of Venice away from the main tourist areas.

When we headed back to the hotel, our room was ready and we changed and headed out to do some more exploring in the Santa Croce district. Our hotel was a short walk to the Frari Church, completed in 1492 by the Franciscan order. The Franciscans were inspired by St Francis of Assisi who was dedicated to a non-materialistic lifestyle and this church has some great art by Titian, Donatello, Canova, and Bellini. The famous painting by Titian of the Assumption of the Virgin is here above the main altar and is very impressive. The tomb of Titian is also here and is enormous. You see these famous paintings and artwork in books, but there is nothing like seeing them with your own eyes where you can appreciate the size and scope of them and the incredible talent of these artists who created them over 500 years ago.

That evening we met up with our friends from Ottawa that we met on the cruise and had a nice dinner and drinks and relived our wonderful cruise together. Venice at night is so magical, all light up and nice and quiet. Walking along one of the canals, we bumped into our friends from Sydney who were having dinner. It seemed like we had friends all over Venice! Things close early in Venice so we headed back to our hotel and had a good nights rest!

Our hotel included a very nice breakfast in a beautiful garden room which we enjoyed before grabbing the #1 Vaporetto to take us over to St Marks Square. We had tickets for the Basilica which we ordered online for 3 EU so we wouldn’t have wait in line. St Marks was so quiet early in the morning, it was eerie. We watched one big cruise ship after another make its way into the port and it wouldn’t be long until the crowds descended on the square. Even at this early time, the lineup for the Basilica was quite long as it didn’t open until 9:30.

St Mark’s Basilica is unlike any other church in Europe or in the world for that matter. From the outside the decor is heavily influenced by Byzantine and even Muslim design and the mosaics tell the story of how Mark’s body was taken from Alexandria in a pork barrel, and brought to Venice in 828 AD. They built this church here over his bones and made him the patron saint of the city. The building dates from 1063 and was modeled after a great 4th century church in Constantinople. Walking inside, it’s quite dark, but your eyes get used to it after a while. Also, they do open the floodlights each day at 11:30 and there is an after hours tour which you can book to get a better viewing of the mosaics all over the ceilings and walls. There are even mosaics on the floor which is very uneven, given the building is over 1200 years old and Venice has been rising and falling with the tides for centuries. I then headed up the steep and narrow staircase to the Museum, these stairs reminded me of the stairs in the Colosseum in Rome, each step was like 2 normal steps in height, and very steep. From upstairs you get a great view of the interior in all its glory.

In the museum, I was excited to see what for me was going to be a highlight - the originals of La Quadriga or the 4 Horses of St Marks. Seeing them all light up took my breath away. These amazing life size bronze statues of 4 horses exude an energy that gives you the chills when you first see them up close. Just thinking of the story of them is amazing also - they date from 175 BC, and historians are not sure where they originated but figure from ancient Greece. Legend says they were made for Alexander the Great, taken by Nero to Rome, then by Constantine to his new capital in Constantinople and placed in the hippodrome where they had the chariot race course. The Venetians then took during the 4th Crusade in 1204 and brought them to Venice where they stood on the roof of the Basilica for hundreds of years.

When Napoleon conquered Venice in 1797, he admired them so much, he took them to Paris and placed them on top of the Arc de Triomphe. Once his empire crumbled, they were returned to Venice where they stood outside the basilica, until they were brought indoors in the 1970’s to keep them from the ravages of air pollution. Oh, the places they’ve been. What a story, amazing how all four managed to stay together with all their travels and plunder for 2000 years! They were coveted by Caesars, Kings, Doges, and Emperors and you can see why - they are very impressive!

You can also go outside for a great view of the square and I waved down to DW who was waiting for me in the plaza. It was starting to get busy in the square and we had lots of exploring, the stores were now open, and she was ready to get some shopping done! We made our way into the alleyways of Venice making lots of stops in all the nice shops, buying up Murano glass and leather goods, and made our way to the Rialto Bridge. This is like the main street of Venice, very busy and lots of traffic on the canal and on the narrow streets nearby.

We had lunch near the bridge and enjoyed our time in this magical place. Our trip was coming to an end, but we couldn’t have been happier with how everything turned out just perfect. We made our way back to St Mark’s Square and walked along the waterfront to Harry’s American Bar where they invented the Bellini. Here we got on the #1 Vaporetto for a tour along the Grand Canal looking at all the beautiful mansions. That evening, we had a nice romantic dinner near our hotel and spent the last few hours in Venice just walking along the Grand Canal taking it all in. We had an early flight home through Frankfurt in the morning and our driver arrived on time at 4:30 AM to our hotel for the short drive to Marco Polo airport. Our flights were long but we arrived home safe and sound to our family and friends and with memories of a trip that we will cherish for ever.

Thank you for sharing our travels with us and for all your positive comments. I write this blog as a way of keeping our memories of this trip alive with us and sharing our experiences with the wonderful community we have here on cruise critic where everyone is so sharing of their time and expertise.

Safe travels to everyone and in good health!

Hi Ron it was an amazing cruise and we had such a wonderful day on the Amalfi coast with you, I have also so enjoyed your posts, it makes us realise that we have so much on our doorsteps that we sometimes don't take advantage, our son and his fiancée have just been to a wonderful wedding in Soller, Mallorca.

We are looking forward to our New England cruise in October, so many places to see, let's hope we have many more to look forward too

Sue

Thanks for a well written and very interesting review. it makes me even more excited about our upcoming TA on the Royal which departs from Venice. We have a few days planned pre-cruise to explore this beautiful city.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful trip with all of us!

Venice has always been on my bucket list and you have just brought it to life!

For now, I will look forward our upcoming cruise on the Royal! :)

Hi Ron it was an amazing cruise and we had such a wonderful day on the Amalfi coast with you, I have also so enjoyed your posts, it makes us realise that we have so much on our doorsteps that we sometimes don't take advantage, our son and his fiancée have just been to a wonderful wedding in Soller, Mallorca.

We are looking forward to our New England cruise in October, so many places to see, let's hope we have many more to look forward too

Sue

Hi Sue, it was great to meet you and Frank as well and I'm glad you enjoyed my travel blog. Enjoy your cruise in New England, the fall colours should be very nice at that time!

Ron

What time did you have to get off the ship?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Forums mobile app

They ask that you be out of your room by 8:00 AM, but we left around 9:00. As long as you are out of the room so they can prepare for the next guest, I think you can stay on a little later.

Ron,

Thank you for your informative and insightful review of the Royal and the ports. Your discussions on the logistics and private tours at each port are very helpful. However, your stories on the history and architecture of each area are incredible.

One of our kids graduated from college last year and the other is now in her third year. As such, we are newbie empty nesters who are like the proverbial kids in a candy store with the travel possibilities. Your review of this cruise has placed this itinerary on our top three list at this point.

Thanks, again, for taking your time to detail your trip.

Paul

Ron,

Thank you for your informative and insightful review of the Royal and the ports. Your discussions on the logistics and private tours at each port are very helpful. However, your stories on the history and architecture of each area are incredible.

One of our kids graduated from college last year and the other is now in her third year. As such, we are newbie empty nesters who are like the proverbial kids in a candy store with the travel possibilities. Your review of this cruise has placed this itinerary on our top three list at this point.

Thanks, again, for taking your time to detail your trip.

Paul

Paul,

We have been empty nesters for a couple of years now, we thought it would be tough, but we are enjoying life to the fullest. We are done with college payments as well, you will enjoy the day you make your last tuition payment! We sure did!

Thank you so much for your kind words, I hope you get to enjoy this itinerary, it's a winner!

Ron

Paul,

We have been empty nesters for a couple of years now, we thought it would be tough, but we are enjoying life to the fullest. We are done with college payments as well, you will enjoy the day you make your last tuition payment! We sure did!

Thank you so much for your kind words, I hope you get to enjoy this itinerary, it's a winner!

Ron

Yes, we also dream of the last tuition payment. That will be in a couple of years!

We still plan trips with the 'kids', like our December Caribbean Cruise on the Royal....but we have learned to enjoy each other 'again' on a couple of trips without them. You are right, the first couple of trips without them were an adjustment, but now they encourage us to take off on our own!

Thanks, again. Paul

Thanks for a well written and very interesting review. it makes me even more excited about our upcoming TA on the Royal which departs from Venice. We have a few days planned pre-cruise to explore this beautiful city.

Thank you and enjoy your TA, that will give you lots of time on board to enjoy the Royal!

Ron

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Found your review searching for royal reviews for shore excursion ideas, as we are booked for the 12 day on regal in mid june. We have booked diy for rome private train with online tickets to colosseum, so nice to see what time train arrives in rome. Did diy to pisa/florence with online tickets to accadamia. We are doing aix only shore excursion - except for guide problem, did you enjoy walking around town?