Becoming Platinum on a New Year's Eve cruise?

Carnival_Brides

I was only a sail or two away from becoming Platinum in the previous recognition program. Is there anything I can do to reach the Platinum level?

We understand the investments guests have made over the years, and we’d like to thank and acknowledge guests who were near advancement in the previous program.

Any guest that sails at least 10 times by December 31, 2013, will be grandfathered into the Platinum level under the old program rules.

And, once a guest begins his/her 10th sailing, s/he will be considered Platinum in the new program on that 10th sailing.

This is what the FAQ on VIFP says. I would post the question on John Heald's facebook page to be sure.

I am Platinum and my wife is on cruise #9. If we leave out of Charleston on New Year's Eve does it count as the Platinum cruise for my wife? I thought there was a thread discussing something similar, but I can't seem to find it.

I don't think so. I was reading through the program rules yesterday and noticed it said you have to have completed 10 cruises by 12/31/2013. Let me go see if I can find the offical wording.

ETA: Of course the wording is too vague in the FAQ section but here is what it says:

http://www.carnival.com/loyalty/faqs.aspx#q-1197323

Q: I was only a sail or two away from becoming Platinum in the previous recognition program. Is there anything I can do to reach the Platinum level?We understand the investments guests have made over the years, and we’d like to thank and acknowledge guests who were near advancement in the previous program.

A: Any guest that sails at least 10 times by December 31, 2013, will be grandfathered into the Platinum level under the old program rules.

And, once a guest begins his/her 10th sailing, s/he will be considered Platinum in the new program on that 10th sailing

The above info is from the VIFP info. The information below is from the general FAQ.

Q: What are the benefits of being a Platinum guest?Past Guest Recognition Program - Platinum Guest Level Benefits

A: Available exclusively to Platinum Guest cardholders who have sailed aboard the Fun Ships ten times prior to 12/31/2013 or who have reached 75 VIFP points, Carnival’s Past Guest Recognition Program benefits are designed to recognize and reward those longtime Carnival guests for their loyalty over the years. These privileges and benefits will be offered on the tenth cruise if taken prior to 12/31/2013 or when guests reach 75 VIFP points.

The Platinum Guests will receive a special welcome aboard letter from Carnival President and CEO, Gerry Cahill detailing the exclusive amenities and privileges available during their cruise:

The highlighted portions may be what blocks the wifes advancement into Platinum. If the cruise starts on 12/31, then the phrase "by 12/31/2013" and "prior to 12/31/2013" seem to indicate that she would not board as Platinum.

Another place to look is your boarding pass.

I advance to Diamond on my 10/27/13 cruise and even though I only have 199 days and am still listed as Platinum on the VIFP part of the website, my boarding pass says Diamond.

Another place to look is your boarding pass.

I advance to Diamond on my 10/27/13 cruise and even though I only have 199 days and am still listed as Platinum on the VIFP part of the website, my boarding pass says Diamond.

We haven't booked yet. We've narrowed it down to a cruise in October for my wife's birthday or the New Years cruise. It doesn't make a massive difference, but it sure is nice to use the Platinum line at Guest Services and have the shiny card. :D

Same thing with us. My two kids are at 9 cruises. We booked the New Years Eve cruise leaving on the 30th. My PVP says they will be grandfathered in because the cruise starts before the end of the year. I just check our cruise doc's and it says they are platinum!

Same thing with us. My two kids are at 9 cruises. We booked the New Years Eve cruise leaving on the 30th. My PVP says they will be grandfathered in because the cruise starts before the end of the year. I just check our cruise doc's and it says they are platinum!

Your kids are very lucky--my parents didn't discover cruising until I was 21 :eek:

Thanks for the heads up. I knew there had to be someone on a New Years cruise.

My 10th cruise will be on a New Year's cruise and YES - it counts and she, and I, will be platinum for that cruise. It was always ON your 10th cruise that you were Platinum.

I thought it would count because it started on the tenth cruise.

ps Liked your wedding review.

Thanks!

Archived