Australia land part of cruise tour.

rhsjr

I have tried looking on the Princess site about details of the land portion, but have found nothing. I know we go Port Douglas | Port Douglas/Sydney | Sydney | Kakadu/Darwin | Sydney/Ayers Rock | Darwin/Cairns/Port Douglas | Ayers Rock/Darwin/Kakadu, and you fly from place to place, but do you know the approx take-off times? I know the flights are about 3 hours. This will give me an idea of how much time we have at each location.

I have tried looking on the Princess site about details of the land portion, but have found nothing. I know we go Port Douglas | Port Douglas/Sydney | Sydney | Kakadu/Darwin | Sydney/Ayers Rock | Darwin/Cairns/Port Douglas | Ayers Rock/Darwin/Kakadu, and you fly from place to place, but do you know the approx take-off times? I know the flights are about 3 hours. This will give me an idea of how much time we have at each location.

That is a rather bizarre itinerary for Australia. It's crisscrossing the country and wasting time. Flights don't necessarily take 3 hours. For example between Sydney and Brisbane a flight takes approximately 1 hour.

If you have the specific itinerary it'd probably help, but if you want detailed information The best place to get it would be whoever you booked the tour with...

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

I think this is what you are looking for. The dates may be wrong. I do not know when you are travelling but the land portion seems to fit with the destinations you listed in your post. The land itinerary for the Ultimate Australian Tour is quite logical without any backtracking. Put in your own departure date to work out your own dates.

http://www.princess.com/find/itineraryDetails.do?voyageCode=M404&tourCode=T4P04C&resType=T

I think this is what you are looking for. The dates may be wrong. I do not know when you are travelling but the land portion seems to fit with the destinations you listed in your post. The land itinerary for the Ultimate Australian Tour is quite logical without any backtracking. Put in your own departure date to work out your own dates.

http://www.princess.com/find/itineraryDetails.do?voyageCode=M404&tourCode=T4P04C&resType=T

I forgot to add. You are right the flight times are approximately 3 hours for each leg. 3.40 mins Sydney to Ayers Rick, 2.30 A rock to Darwin, 2.30 Darwin to Cairns and 3.10 Cairns back to Sydney.

Thanks everyone. After a lot of research I find that the Princess 7 day land tour for $4400/pp is out of line and rushed. I have looked at separate land tours and find that wideworldtraveler.com has a great 10 day tour, covers a little more, less rushed and if you add in domestic air is about $300 or more less than Princess. Princess tours seem to always cost more. Than we will do the 2/3/15 cruise :)

Thanks everyone. After a lot of research I find that the Princess 7 day land tour for $4400/pp is out of line and rushed. I have looked at separate land tours and find that wideworldtraveler.com has a great 10 day tour, covers a little more, less rushed and if you add in domestic air is about $300 or more less than Princess. Princess tours seem to always cost more. Than we will do the 2/3/15 cruise :)

I am so glad you decided against the original land tour. Just reading the itinerary I was absolutely breathless with how much flying & sightseeing is covered in so little time. There is absolutely no wriggle room for any hold-ups etc. bearing in mind it is the middle of our cyclone season up north. Having said all that, you will be seeing some of our most iconic locations and you will enjoy it all thoroughly. I can say that a good proportion of Aussies have never visited any of the locations mentioned in your itinerary possibly due to the costs involved in travel to and from these destinations.

I'm so glad you found that. I was worried that there was actually a tour with an itinerary similar to the OPs post. Makes a whole lot more sense now! Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

A 10-day tour that covers MORE than the 7-day Princess land tour??? That's still way too much traveling in a short amount of time. With 10 days, you should limit yourself to at most 3 destinations (and 2 destinations would even be better.) Every destination you add to your trip robs you of valuable sightseeing time due to flights, waiting around in airports, etc.

With 10 days in February, I would recommend visiting Sydney and another destination in the southern part of the country, perhaps Adelaide and Kangaroo Island or Tasmania. Port Douglas (or anywhere in north Queensland) will be hot and humid with a chance of cyclones. Darwin and Kakadu will be in the middle of their season called The Wet because it's extremely hot and humid and, again, has a chance of cyclones. Uluru (Ayers Rock) will be beastly hot in February.

FWIW, I lived in Australia for several years and would never have traveled anywhere in northern or central Australia in the summer months. We spent our summer vacations in New Zealand (which is south of most of Australia) or in South Australia (Adelaide/Kangaroo Island).

Archived