Dive or snorkel/Roatan & Belize??

Motorcycle Gma

Hi, we are seasoned divers but have only been to each of these stops once in 2005. We are on Carnival in October. We found Belize sort of disappointing when we dove in 2005. We went with NCL's operator which was fine and we even purchased a DVD. Hubby finds most sites boring compared to Cozumel's diving, unfortunately.

I might want to visit some of the Cayes in Belize. Is the snorkeling good or should we stick to diving? Any recommendations on private operator vs. ship operator? We prefer private vs. cattle call.

In Roatan, our dive w/sharks was cancelled by NCL so we were left scrambling. We tried some snorkeling off of the NCL beach and visibility was poor and nothing much to see. Is there really good diving/snorkeling in Roatan? Thanks for any advice.

Since you are seasoned divers why even consider snorkel?

Both sites offer great diving. If possible book private and avoid the cattle boats if you can.

In Belize you'd have to use a local operator to get you to the reef. Sea Sports Belize and Ecotours Belize are popular on these boards. Both appear to offer scuba excursions. We used Coral Breeze to shark/ray alley and reef exploration. Amazing sights, but reviews of their service have been pretty negative lately (they switched tour providers).

Snorkeling in Roatan can be done right off the beach in many places. We have used Bananarama in West Bay before. Maya Kay seems to be popular as well. This time we looked at Foster's, Anthony's Key and Subway. We ended up booking Christopher Tours because they offered

transportation, snorkel sites BY BOAT and some time at West Bay beach.

We do not scuba dive though, so I can only speak to the snorkeling.

Since you are seasoned divers why even consider snorkel?

Both sites offer great diving. If possible book private and avoid the cattle boats if you can.

Thank you all for the suggestions. Hubby is getting old and lazy about diving. There is a 13 yr. age difference; he's always said he'll still be diving and I can push him off the boat in his wheelchair...Come to find out our DM in Curacao this last time works with Disabled Vets so they can dive!! He takes them down in wheelchairs which I think is so cool.

Anyway, so do either you or Laurie have a recommendation for Operator in Belize or Roatan??

Seasports Belize has been topnotch on my two visits with them.

In Roatan, I have dived with Bananarama, Barefoot Divers, and Subway Watersports. For how we dive and our experience, my favorite by far was Subway. We were allowed to go dive on our own and no one was shaking maracas at us every 30 seconds.

Hi Laurie,

My husband and I are booked on a cruise in November and we plan on diving in Belize and Roatan. When I asked my local dive operator for recommendations for dive shops (he goes down there frequently) he said he thought it wasn't safe to go diving without the cruise shore excursion anymore (my least favorite way to go) because the drug cartels had moved into the 2 areas. Have you used local dive shops in either of these locations lately?

Thanks,

Becky

Wife and I did the ship sponsored dolphin scuba dive at Anthony's Key three years ago. Might have been only a one-tank dive but the chance to interact with a couple of dolphins in the open water was worth it.

In Roatan, I have dived with Bananarama, Barefoot Divers, and Subway Watersports. For how we dive and our experience, my favorite by far was Subway. We were allowed to go dive on our own and no one was shaking maracas at us every 30 seconds.

Laurie S, based on your recommendations, DW and I have booked dives with both Seasports and Subway Watersports for our upcoming cruise. I did lots of research, but having someone who has actually used these dive ops really helped with my decision. So, a big THANK YOU for your suggestions! :D

For our Cozumel dive, we are using Scuba with Alison, as we really enjoyed her when we used her last time. For Grand Cayman, we will once again use Cayman Turtle Divers due to such a great time we had with them in April.

For the second half of our B2B, we booked with Grand Turk Diving Co. and St. Thomas Diving Club. We seriously considered using Red Hook Diving, but with all these dives we are doing, it got down to making every $$ count.

Enjoy your dives! Also, for Seasports, you'll need to walk out of the cruise compound. Turn left and walk about a quarter mile. Look for a green building on the left with a scuba flag. Despite what people say, it's safe to walk there and the people are very friendly.

Also as a seasoned diver (since 1989) I can highly recommend two shops on Roatan.

On my first visit (a girls cruise ship stop) I used West End Divers (in West End Village) They were great to book with - even sending a taxi for us (Coxen Hole dock). We chose to do just a one tank dive so we would have some time to explore also but that one dive was enough for me to know I wanted to come back for more :D

It took me over a year to convince dh we needed to go for a land visit. We have been back twice since (July '12 and Dec '12) both times for a week stay at Infinity Bay (West Bay beach). We used Infinity Divers both times and WOW they were awesome. A total "concierge" service dive shop. We have done 25+ dives with them and each one was professional and I can highly recommend them.

I will have to say that Roatan blows Belize away as far as quality of the reef and the diversity of the reef. They are working very hard to make sure that the reef stays that way too !

Also have to comment on the previous post about only using ship tours..... and re: drug cartels etc..... where on earth did that piece of info come from ? We found Roatan to be not only a drop dead gorgeous island but the people are friendly and glad we were there. We never felt unsafe but as with any tourist area in a 3rd world country you should take certain precautions..... mostly at night and in certain areas. Actually that is good advice for pretty much anywhere nowdays.

Anyway - go and enjoy Roatan !!!!! whether you dive, snorkel or just take in the sights :D

Lot's of good suggestions. It sounds like we should give Roatan another try. I'll definitely look into Subway and Infinity and maybe Seasports at Belize.

Has anyone done the fly/dive combo to Amb...whatever cay? I bet its not doable with a port stop?? Another passion of DH is flying small planes.

Laurie, LOL on your comment about the maracas!!

Texancruzer, we're with you, we like full service dive shops. I've been so spoiled over the years diving in Cozumel where they do everything for you.

Hi, we are seasoned divers but have only been to each of these stops once in 2005. We are on Carnival in October. We found Belize sort of disappointing when we dove in 2005. We went with NCL's operator which was fine and we even purchased a DVD. Hubby finds most sites boring compared to Cozumel's diving, unfortunately.

I might want to visit some of the Cayes in Belize. Is the snorkeling good or should we stick to diving? Any recommendations on private operator vs. ship operator? We prefer private vs. cattle call.

In Roatan, our dive w/sharks was cancelled by NCL so we were left scrambling. We tried some snorkeling off of the NCL beach and visibility was poor and nothing much to see. Is there really good diving/snorkeling in Roatan? Thanks for any advice.

I Highly recommend barefoot divers in Roatan, only about 10 minutes from Mahogany bay. Dove with them in 2011 and will be using them again this November.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I still haven't booked anything. Lots of stress going on here at home. I went to book Subway and totally by accident (just googled Subway Watersports) found the owner was killed (throat slashed) last fall! I forget his name, but he was a canadian ex-pat and apparently someone didn't like something he did & got revenge. Did you know this? It makes me really have second thoughts about diving on the other side of the island and with this operation. I don't want to get caught in the crossfire between locals upset with the operator. The info I read was on a board such as this (not CC), but maybe a scuba board. It mentioned several murders of non-locals that had made successful businesses on the island. It basically said stay within the tourist grid of the island and you'll be safe.

I will probably be going with another dive op, closer to the ship. Which one doesn't use maracas?

Barefoot is very good, but they're the biggest abusers of maracas. I really don't need a guide shaking one every minute to point something out to me, especially when I'm literally focusing on an underwater macro shot at the time.

Barefoot is diving with a concierge--they do most everything for you. We dove with them once on a cruise and had a good time. If you are familiar with the dive site Mary's Place, that's where the resort is located. We did only the 1 trip with them and no one was shaking maracas or other noismakers on that one. I would not count them out based on 1 divemaster's preferences--or maybe someone asked them to let them know what is seen.

I too regard shakers or tank bangers as a nuisance akin to the phone ringing--it's ALWAYS an inconvenience!

So, I still haven't booked anything. Lots of stress going on here at home. I went to book Subway and totally by accident (just googled Subway Watersports) found the owner was killed (throat slashed) last fall! I forget his name, but he was a canadian ex-pat and apparently someone didn't like something he did & got revenge. Did you know this? It makes me really have second thoughts about diving on the other side of the island and with this operation. I don't want to get caught in the crossfire between locals upset with the operator. The info I read was on a board such as this (not CC), but maybe a scuba board. It mentioned several murders of non-locals that had made successful businesses on the island. It basically said stay within the tourist grid of the island and you'll be safe.

I will probably be going with another dive op, closer to the ship. Which one doesn't use maracas?

I never met the owner, I only dealt with a woman who was running the operation. Subway dives all over the island. I still would dive with them, if we were to go back.

Barefoot is diving with a concierge--they do most everything for you. We dove with them once on a cruise and had a good time. If you are familiar with the dive site Mary's Place, that's where the resort is located. We did only the 1 trip with them and no one was shaking maracas or other noismakers on that one. I would not count them out based on 1 divemaster's preferences--or maybe someone asked them to let them know what is seen.

I too regard shakers or tank bangers as a nuisance akin to the phone ringing--it's ALWAYS an inconvenience!

Three times with them and on each dive the guide was shaking that stupid maraca. I'll never go back with them. We not only don't need crew doing everything for us, we prefer them not to touch our equipment.

Archived