San Jose transportation to port

bigmjh

Hello - we're sailing out of Puerto Caldera in December ... flying into San Jose. Trying to figure out the transportation alternatives (besides booking with cruiseline). Any suggestions? :confused:

I have hired a private driver, as our cruise will end in Puerto Caldera in January. Another poster on the board recommended coachcostarica.com, so I contacted them. We will receive transportation with AC from Puerto Caldera to San Jose, water provided. At my request, they have set up a tour for us at the University of Costa Rica, then will take us to a restaurant, and finally to the airport for our flight home. We will pay $150 for four, with half paid in advance. So far, they have been very easy and pleasant to work with.

Hope this helps.

Beth

• 4 weeks later...

I have done it BOTH ways.. Question: Do you want to 'see' anything or simply get from Point A to B and get on with the cruise? It is lovely mountainous tropical terrain. Perfect for a stop or 2 for pictures/coffee/beer etc. I travel literally anywhere to fish/explore and have a great time mingling with the locals on their terms to get the feel...Packaged transfers are painless but also on their schedule with no freelance horsing around. We personally fly in 1-3 days ahead to 'survey to scene' if you will. THAT is why we travel in the first place; but timing the arrival dockside for the stampede boarding on ones own guesstimate CAN be iffy. Princess charter buses worked great; but then my mini-van 'excursion' was so nice and relaxed. Each to his own.

Archived