Zeebrugge

LHT28

Anyone with recent experience docking here for Bruges

Did you have to take a shuttle outside the port gates for taxis or could you get a taxi as you left the ship??

Last time we were there the taxi was able to meet us near the ship but I have been reading that they are not allowing the taxis into the port area

Just curious so I know what to expect next year...of course it could all change by then ;)

Lyn

We were there last sept. on Marina and the taxi situation was a bit chaotic.

I too am curious if things have changed. Our experience was the taxis came to the ship.They were delayed at the entrance, which we could not see from the ship, therefore we were left to wait & wonder. When taxi's began slowly showing up, people tried to 'hijack' them (you get the picture:eek:) I had read about the taxi situation, but was not expecting that type of may-lay, very impatient crowd. (Saw the same behavior at mealtimes during the cruise!) I had arranged for a van for 6-8pax which eventually arrived & we drove to the town center. We arranged a pick up time and all went smoothly at a very reasonable cost, not worth taking public transport.

I remember having to book the van very early on as many companies had none available for the early a.m. pick up.

We were there in July.

There were taxis available on the dockside and you could negotiate with them for trips to Brugges. It was a better deal with 4 people.

The shuttle again was available as you got off the ship and left every 30 minutes to the town of Blankenberg an old fashioned seaside resort. The Station at Blankenberg was about 100 yards away from the stop and connected to Brugges about twice an hour.

We stayed in Blank,,,,, as we have been to Brugges many times. Blankenberg was ok for a couple of hours, plenty of shopping but it in no way compares to the town of Brugges.

Brian

Hello,

I you don't want to go to Bruges, please don't stay in Blankenbergen, it's a seaside town with a rather 'bad' reputation. It's better just to take the seaside tram to Knokke or maybe Den Haan or Nieuwpoort which are much nicer towns.

Regards,

Sonja

Did you have to take a shuttle outside the port gates for taxis or could you get a taxi as you left the ship??

Last time we were there the taxi was able to meet us near the ship but I have been reading that they are not allowing the taxis into the port area

Just curious so I know what to expect next year...of course it could all change by then ;)

Lyn

Last September we stopped there with Oceania. We had arranged a private tour and they picked us up at dockside. There were only a few taxis around.

the situation is the following : zeebrugge is the only deep harbour on the belgian coast

ostend is nice but cannot accomodate big ships and even with a force 5 for some ships are it is not possible - ships are there 500 meters from the center Oceania ships unfortunately are far too big.

however all oceania ships are able to reach antwerp but that is 4 hours bridge for the captain ... ships are docking there 250 m from the center

zeebrugge is a container port : ships are docking in the middle of nowhere - shuttles transfers are arranged to Blankenberge what is not a special resort on the belgian coast

the nicest place on the Belgian coast is Knokke ( very exclusive shopping ) - same distance from zeebrugge as Blankenberge however it seems busses with cruise passengers are not allowed to drop the passengers in Knokke

about taxi's : taxi's from other villages are not allowed to stand in line in zeebrugge - only taxi's from brugge

said all the above : brugge is a beautiful town :) but zeebrugge is a horrible :eek: port for cruiseships -

you entirely do depend on organised tours or the luck to catch a taxi.

Good to know the taxis will meet you at the ship

That is what we did last trip

This time the taxi I have booked said to take the shuttle to the port gates so I am not really sure if I should just book another taxi firm that can get to the ship

I am not really interested in guessing games that early in the morning....will he show or not ;)

Thanks for the responses

lyn

Hello,

I you don't want to go to Bruges, please don't stay in Blankenbergen, it's a seaside town with a rather 'bad' reputation. It's better just to take the seaside tram to Knokke or maybe Den Haan or Nieuwpoort which are much nicer towns.

Regards,

Sonja

You have a lovely country, Sonja. During a multiple-day visit to Brugge some years ago, we went to De Haan from Brugge and had a very enjoyable day.

Here is the tram station for De Haan:

800px-De_Haan_-_Tram_station.jpg

Last September we stopped there with Oceania. We had arranged a private tour and they picked us up at dockside. There were only a few taxis around.

Attached is a link that a cruiser posted for Zeebrugge for an September 2011 Oceania cruise in which she provides a copy of the Oceania Current.

http://www.1mpages.com/cruise/OceaniaInsigniaD14.html

Have a great trip.

Attached is a link that a cruiser posted for Zeebrugge for an September 2011 Oceania cruise in which she provides a copy of the Oceania Current.

http://www.1mpages.com/cruise/OceaniaInsigniaD14.html

Have a great trip.

Great if you want to go to Blankenburge

I am hoping the pre arranged taxi will be at the dock

Edited by LHT28

Lyn,

We booked Taxi Snel, 6-8pax van at least 10months prior.

Excellent price for pick-up and return to Bruges town center and back.

Did they pick you up at the ship ?

They are telling me to get the shuttle to the port gates

Lyn

Did they pick you up at the ship ?

They are telling me to get the shuttle to the port gates

Lyn

They picked us up at the ship. What you are told might be the changes you read about. There is a long list of taxi companies on T.A. You may want to email a few others to see if it's new policy. Book ASAP...taxi service seem to be this ports problem.

They picked us up at the ship. What you are told might be the changes you read about. There is a long list of taxi companies on T.A. You may want to email a few others to see if it's new policy. Book ASAP...taxi service seem to be this ports problem.

Thanks

2 out of 2 both said at the gate

Others have not replied yet

Yes you do need to book early ;)

Lyn

• 9 months later...

Lyn

Hello:

We were very disappointed in Taxi Snel. We were there in April 2014 and wanted to be taken from the port to Brugge. We arranged for Taxi Snel to be picked up at 8:00. At present, pre-booked taxis can not pick up passengers at the ship. NON-prebooked taxis were available at the gangway. STRANGE. There is a free ship shuttle to the port gate.

After 3 confirming e-mails as to the pickup time. The driver STILL had 8:30 shown on his paperwork for the pickup rather than 8:00 as we requested. Compounding that mistake, the driver was 20 minutes later than that. He finally arrived at 8:50.

The dispatch office must take the blame for this rather than the driver. Not only did they mess up the pickup time, they had him making another trip that threw him another 20 minutes late.

I called the dispatch office 3 times beginning at 8:10 and was assured that a taxi would be there within 10 minutes. An obvious untruth.

This company appears to have no regard for travelers that they have trapped at the port gate with few other options.

tom

Zeebrugge was the first port on the Marina cruise from Dover to Copenhagen last week, and my partner and I wanted to take the institution that is 'de kusttram'...the Belgian Coastal tram.

Zeebrugge Kirk stop was barely 15 minutes walk from the gangway....turn right at the port gates and follow the road until you see the church on the oppositeside of the road. Board at the front of the tram with change ready, a single ticket is €3. There is a ticket kiosk at Zeebrugge but this was closed on the Sunday we called. We spent the day in Knokke on recommendation from a Belgian friend, but you could also visit de Haan, Oostende or anywhere else along the coastal route.....trams usually run every 15 minutes.

http://www.delijn.be/dekusttram/en/

Edited by LaCroisiereS'amuse