Bermuda Island Drive a good idea??

Ocala200

As a first timer in Bermuda, do you think our taking a five hour Bermuda Island Drive (by bus or mini-bus) a good way to get a feel for the entire island, or is there a better way to get the "lay of the land." Have three days in port so we are thinking about taking the tour day one, and then doing Hamilton and one or two of the beaches on days two and three. Any advise?

When is your visit and what cruise ship are you on?

I think a tour will give you an excellent "lay of the land." However, I think you should hire a 'blue flag' taxi for the tour. A blue flag fluttering from the taxi's hood signifies the driver has qualified as a tour guide. The rate for up to 4 passengers is $40.00/hour for the taxi, with a minimum of 3 hours. You can design your own tour or let driver/guide do that for you. You can make a reservation for when it would be convenient for you.

There is an active thread here titled - Bermuda private guide - which has the names, contact info, and CC member comments for many of the guides.

SBtS

• 2 weeks later...

Completely agree with SailBadtheSinner and hired the same taxi driver stellarose did (Dennis Hollis who is highly recommended on the reviews on Cruise Critic) for a 5-hour tour of the island the first day we docked in Bermuda.

We just disembarked from our Bermuda cruise yesterday morning. My boyfriend really liked getting the lay of the land before we set out on our own the 2nd and 3rd days. Dennis was waiting for us with a sign with our names when we walked off the ship and drove us from King's Wharf to Hamilton and then to St. George via the north shore and then back to the ship via the south shore. We felt like we knew where everything was.

Another advantage of the taxi tour was that we weren't with a group and wouldn't delay anyone if we wanted to spend more time at certain stop. e.g. Dennis was willing to wait for us to climb the Gibbs Lighthouse (which was on my list of to-do's) and saved us a bus ride back there on day 2. IMHO, it wouldn't have been worth the bus ride all the way from the ship on day 2 so we were happy to save the time, busfare, and effort.

We saw so much of Bermuda, and Dennis knew his island inside and out and was willing to share his knowledge.

HTH!

I think a tour will give you an excellent "lay of the land." However, I think you should hire a 'blue flag' taxi for the tour. A blue flag fluttering from the taxi's hood signifies the driver has qualified as a tour guide. The rate for up to 4 passengers is $40.00/hour for the taxi, with a minimum of 3 hours. You can design your own tour or let driver/guide do that for you. You can make a reservation for when it would be convenient for you.

There is an active thread here titled - Bermuda private guide - which has the names, contact info, and CC member comments for many of the guides.

SBtS

Dennis Hollis. Did island tour with him day 1 of trip.

Archived