Voyager. Deck 2 outside or Deck 6/7 balcony?

I'm planning to take my 79yr old mother on her first ever cruise early next year on Voyager. It will be my first time on RCI

We have the choice between outside cabins on Deck 2, or balconies on decks 6/7. I guess most people would say it was a no-brainer, but Mum is prone to motion sickness & I know that lower decks are recommended for this. Also we are non-smokers & I am prone to asthma & headaches when exposed to cigarette smoke, so wouldn't want to not be able to use the balcony if smoke was frequently drifting our way. Although I am a fairly seasoned cruiser, I have not yet stayed in a balcony cabin.

Does anyone have any experience of the outside cabins on Deck 2?

Thanks in advance

I'm planning to take my 79yr old mother on her first ever cruise early next year on Voyager. It will be my first time on RCI

We have the choice between outside cabins on Deck 2, or balconies on decks 6/7. I guess most people would say it was a no-brainer, but Mum is prone to motion sickness & I know that lower decks are recommended for this. Also we are non-smokers & I am prone to asthma & headaches when exposed to cigarette smoke, so wouldn't want to not be able to use the balcony if smoke was frequently drifting our way. Although I am a fairly seasoned cruiser, I have not yet stayed in a balcony cabin.

Thanks in advance

We were on Voyager last November, my husband & I had an inside on deck 7, but our daughter had an outside midship deck 2 and said it was great, we went there a few times and even though it was on deck 2 because Voyager is so large you were still a long way from the waterline, I could not see anything wrong with this deck. Robin:)

We have balcony cabin 7688 booked. It's meant to have one of he biggest balconies on the ship. Have a look at this cabin. It's an aft

Esilef we had this cabin in Jan this year and absolutely loved it, balcony is great heaps of room, you have to do a bit of walking to get anywhere but it was worth it. Enjoy, they say once you have an aft cabin you'll never go forward. Oh and don't tell anyone how great they are.....

For aussie57 - Voyager is large so take that into consideration for your mother distances are great, motion, well for our 14 day cruise the weather and ocean where good to us but we never felt the ships movements at all. And as stated we were in the aft end.

We have had an aft corner balcony deck 8 on Voyager last year. It suited us perfectly. Be aware that on deck 6 on Voyager some balcony cabins have metal fronts not glass. Sounds like you've already made a good choice.

We were onboard Voyager for 42 days and hardly noticed movement at all because she is such a large ship she handles the sea very well.

Hope you and your Mum have the best cruise together.

Jill:)

Thanks in advance

Voyager has some great prices at the moment! I took my 86 year old Mum on her last year. Yes, she is big and yes, there was a lot of walking and quite a bit of waiting for the elevators too.

We had a balcony on Deck 7 close to the lifts but should have booked it in front of the 'hump' as our view forward was a little restricted. As to movement, even on Deck 7 was minimal.

DON'T miss the Ice Show - it was the highlight of the entertainment on board. Be aware that unlike your P&O & Princess cruises you will be charged $12 per person per day for gratuities. We always chose My Time Dining and so have to pre-pay gratuities but that's how we like it - less to pay later on.

Mum loved it so much that I've booked her for another 3 Royal Caribbean cruises! As she now requires an Accessible cabin, I have to book early to get the more desirable ones.

My sister cruises on Princess so when she came on Royal Caribbean with me to the South Pacific earlier this year, she commented that she thought the food on Princess is better though she still enjoyed the Main Dining Room food on our cruise. She didn't 'lower' herself to eat in the Buffet, but it's my favourite place for breakfast and lunch.

Do make a booking at Portofino's for a meal one night. It's about $20 per head but I think it's worth it to enjoy that extra quality of service and food.

The drinks on board are fairly well priced but as you're now allowed to bring on 2 bottles of wine per cabin, we would usually take one glass of wine into the dining room with us each evening so apart from a cocktail or martini in the Schooner Bar each night whilst enjoying the atmosphere after the entertainment at the theatre, that was all we drank.

You will notice differences of course but the main thing is that you're on holidays, being waited on hand & foot so it really doesn't matter who you cruise with unless, like me, you're stuck with a Loyalty Program. :)

I doubt you will feel any motion on VOS.

Have you looked at the Promenade cabins? I had a PR on deck 7 for 14 nights near the front and didnt feel one bit of motion and this was a first for me!

If booking Voyager again I would grab a Promenade cabin first any day for the shear value of cabin:)

We had Xmas on voyager - deck 8 corner aft.

We had a couple of rough days and certainly felt it more from our room and when up front in the theatre. Loved the balcony! This was our first cruise and it was to NZ

nusevete.jpg

We are going on radiance in Oct and booked a hump balcony - deck 9.

Even the promenade deck 5 was rough - lots of staggering like a drunk. I found I felt less effected when I couldn't see the water or if the water view was not to my side view. Ie: we sat at the back of windjammer just fine but being sat next to the side windows - Yukon tummy :(

Voyager of the seas Dec 2012,

Radiance of the seas Oct 2013

We had Xmas on voyager - deck 8 corner aft.

We had a couple of rough days and certainly felt it more from our room and when up front in the theatre. Loved the balcony! This was our first cruise and it was to NZ

nusevete.jpg

We are going on radiance in Oct and booked a hump balcony - deck 9.

Even the promenade deck 5 was rough - lots of staggering like a drunk. I found I felt less effected when I couldn't see the water or if the water view was not to my side view. Ie: we sat at the back of windjammer just fine but being sat next to the side windows - Yukon tummy :(

Voyager of the seas Dec 2012,

Radiance of the seas Oct 2013

If you felt the motion on Voyager wait until you go on a normal size cruise ship lol:D:D:D

I would think about Deck 2 -- because, we were on Deck 10 on Voyager and we found that after the show in the main Theatre finishes, the only way we could get up to our cabin was by the lifts (unless we wanted to walk 7? flights of stairs) -- and guess what!!! That applied to everybody so that there was ALWAYS a huge bunfight of people trying to get lifts after the show.

Barry

Thanks to all for your most helpful insights, & particularly Robin & Barry for sharing your experience. A family history conference is incorporated in this cruise, which is why we're on Voyager rather than Princess (where I'm 14 days off being Elite) Also this Sydney-Melbourne-Adelaide-Hobart-Sydney itinerary doesn't require mum to have a passport.

Den, there are no Promenade Cabins in the allocation for the conference delegates otherwise we would have been interested in trying them.

Gae thanks so much for all your great tips.(I think I know you from a non-cruising forum WW. I'm Annie & my mum is Audrey from Maclean)

Thanks to all for your most helpful insights, & particularly Robin & Barry for sharing your experience. A family history conference is incorporated in this cruise, which is why we're on Voyager rather than Princess (where I'm 14 days off being Elite) Also this Sydney-Melbourne-Adelaide-Hobart-Sydney itinerary doesn't require mum to have a passport.

Den, there are no Promenade Cabins in the allocation for the conference delegates otherwise we would have been interested in trying them.

Gae thanks so much for all your great tips.(I think I know you from a non-cruising forum WW. I'm Annie & my mum is Audrey from Maclean)

Well hello to you and your Mum! Yes I visited your Mum & Dad in Maclean when I was travelling around in my little motorhome which I have recently sold to free up more money for cruising! :)

I'm doing a similar trip to yours in April next year but it's 15 nights on P&O as they are calling into Kangaroo Island, Port Lincoln and Robe, none of which I have been to and are too small for Royal Caribbean ships to stop at.

BTW, have you joined your Roll Call yet? I looked it up so that I could provide the link for you:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1789565

Gae

Well hello to you and your Mum! Yes I visited your Mum & Dad in Maclean when I was travelling around in my little motorhome which I have recently sold to free up more money for cruising! :)

I'm doing a similar trip to yours in April next year but it's 15 nights on P&O as they are calling into Kangaroo Island, Port Lincoln and Robe, none of which I have been to and are too small for Royal Caribbean ships to stop at.

BTW, have you joined your Roll Call yet? I looked it up so that I could provide the link for you:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1789565

Gae

Thanks Gae

Love the sound of that P&O itinerary.

No, haven't joined rollcall yet as haven't yet officially booked, although, I did nominate one of the Deck 2 outside cabins by phone today. Will have paid deposit by the end of the week. Mum's very excited, but Allan & I leave on Celebrity Solstice from Hawaii to Sydney in 4wks & we have a huge rollcall for that one. So my head won't really get around the Voyager cruise till we're back from Solstice :)

Archived