First time in Rome and Silversea...

galavant3

We are booked on 2430 (Wind 9/28/2014) and this will be our first time on Silversea and our first cruise to Europe.

For peace of mind, we are planning to use SS Air. We anticipate arriving in Rome early on the day of departure (unless we arrange for deviation which is looking likely at this point).

I haven't seen any ship sponsored tours for Rome on the day of departure - is it likely that there will be tours of Rome offered on embarkation day? If not, I was wondering what arrangements are made between flight arrival time and boarding time.

No, it is not likely. My strong advice, for many reasons, is that you try to change your flight to arrive in Rome at least one day early. That will give you a day to try and see a bit of the city. Also with the way airlines are nowadays you never know what can happen vis a vis flight delays or lost luggage. If you absolutely believe you will have more peace of mind by booking through Silversea they can arrange a deviated flight, book you a hotel and take care of your transfer to Civitavecchia the next day. You could also have your TA do all of that for you and save a lot of money.

The other option is to hire a private car and guide to pick you up at the airport and give you as much of a tour as possible on the way to the ship. I recommend RomeCabs.

Do not fly to Rome the day you board the ship.

There is too much risk that if your flight is delayed or cancelled that you will miss the ship. ON top of that if you are coming from great distances you will likely be jet lagged and you run the risk that if your luggage goes astray you will not have time to recover it before you board.

The port is located 90 minutes from Rome.

I would try to arrive a couple of days early so you can have some time in Rome.

Also, I would do a private tour to maximize what you can see and I also recommend RomeCabs as Henry did. We have used them before and they do a nice job.

Their web site is http://www.romecabs.com

Keith

Aloha Galavant,

The port is about 45 miles from the airport, and into central Rome from the airport takes an hour or so as well; thus, I would doubt that there will be time to do a Rome tour prior to embarkation unless, possibly, you arrive really, really early in the morning. I would not risk it on your own with traffic possibilities. As above, a day or two early would make a great difference in the way you feel before getting on the ship.

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

I think, logically, I knew that's where I was headed. The good news is that I have a long time to figure it out. I'll keep open the option of the private tour with RomeCabs if we end up flying in on the day of embarkation.

Thanks for the help.

Absolutely would not fly in day of cruise. Too many things could go wrong and way too stressful! Rome is a fabulous city and I would go minimum of 2 days early. Your TA should be able to arrange flights, hotels etc. at a better price than SS. Also, highly recommend Rome Cabs for airport pickup and transfer to ship.

We are in Rome right now pre-cruise. We had issues with the flight and Rome airport was unbelievably busy. I would not fly here the day of the cruise unless it was unavoidable. If I had to come the same day, I would figure out ahead of time how I could make it to the next port of call in case I missed the ship.

I think one of the worst mistakes people make are flying in the day of the cruise.

All I know is that if you know someone who has done that and for a range of reasons they miss the ship they will say never again.

Anything can happen.

How about the earthquakes that never happen in selected places and they do and the airfield is shut down. How about the flights that were grounded between the USA and the UK because of the suspected bombs. How about a security breach in an airport or a shutdown of an airline due to a computer glitch or tens of other items that can happen.

Keith

We are booked on 2430 (Wind 9/28/2014) and this will be our first time on Silversea and our first cruise to Europe.

For peace of mind, we are planning to use SS Air. We anticipate arriving in Rome early on the day of departure (unless we arrange for deviation which is looking likely at this point).

I haven't seen any ship sponsored tours for Rome on the day of departure - is it likely that there will be tours of Rome offered on embarkation day? If not, I was wondering what arrangements are made between flight arrival time and boarding time.

My heart sunk when I saw your original posting of your plans.

If you haven't been to Rome before then I urge you to give yourself a few days.....

Apart from all the obvious stuff .... if you enjoy real history then a visit to Ostia Antica is a lifetime memorable experience. And if you like live music - lot's of it - then a visit to Alpheus (in Via del Commercio) is also fairly life changing ... :)

Google is your friend. But please - do not just fly in and attempt to sail off.

:)

My heart sunk when I saw your original posting of your plans.

Limited time in Rome is not by choice, I assure you. Revised plan, thanks to feedback is to fly in a day early arriving early AM day before cruise departure. Arrange for transportation from airport to hotel, private tour of Rome (day of arrival...) and transportation from hotel to pier the following day. The two "must sees" on our list are the Vatican and Colosseum.

We are really just beginning to travel without kids so I plan to return to Rome in the not too distant future.

Does my revised plan seem reasonable? Or does the full day tour of Rome on the day of arrival seem unreasonable? We might be able to get in two days before departure, and use that first day as a day of adjustment, roaming around on our own etc.

Limited time in Rome is not by choice, I assure you. Revised plan, thanks to feedback is to fly in a day early arriving early AM day before cruise departure. Arrange for transportation from airport to hotel, private tour of Rome (day of arrival...) and transportation from hotel to pier the following day. The two "must sees" on our list are the Vatican and Colosseum.

We are really just beginning to travel without kids so I plan to return to Rome in the not too distant future.

Does my revised plan seem reasonable? Or does the full day tour of Rome on the day of arrival seem unreasonable? We might be able to get in two days before departure, and use that first day as a day of adjustment, roaming around on our own etc.

How long is your flight and what time do you arrive?

Also, I would do a private tour to maximize what you can see and I also recommend RomeCabs as Henry did. We have used them before and they do a nice job.

Their web site is www.romecabs.com

Keith

Thanks Keith. I checked out their website. I was also looking at RomeinLimo. They have a pre-cruise package that includes transportation from airport to hotel, 9 hour tour and transportation from hotel to pier. Do you happen to know anything about them? The reviews seem good but I'm familiar with your posts so I'd be curious to know your opinion also.

Thanks Keith. I checked out their website. I was also looking at RomeinLimo. They have a pre-cruise package that includes transportation from airport to hotel, 9 hour tour and transportation from hotel to pier. Do you happen to know anything about them? The reviews seem good but I'm familiar with your posts so I'd be curious to know your opinion also.

I have used RomeInLimo twice. They are excellent.

You are very welcome.

I have not used RomeinLimo but the reviews I have read overall were very positive. In fact, one of them is a very long thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=986987&highlight=romeinlimo

Again, we were very pleased with RomeCabs but there are a few tour companies including RomeinLimo that overall do get very good reviews.

Keith

I'm relieved that you made the wise decision to fly in a day early. You never know what could happen otherwise, particularly if you have to change planes. Now you can move ahead knowing that you'll have some time to see Rome AND feel refreshed and ready for your luxury cruise experience the minute you board! Very good decision.

I'm relieved that you made the wise decision to fly in a day early. You never know what could happen otherwise, particularly if you have to change planes. Now you can move ahead knowing that you'll have some time to see Rome AND feel refreshed and ready for your luxury cruise experience the minute you board! Very good decision.

Yes, I knew deep down, it was not the right choice. I liked the idea of booking air through the cruise line, but I'm over that now. It is just too difficult to plan a trip when someone else is planning the flights.

Hi,

I think your heart is now set on a personal tour, but if you do change your mind and decide to do this at your own pace and by use of taxi - just post - and more than happy to offer some hints and tips about Rome and in particular seeing the attractions you mentioned as I know Rome pretty well and a few tips often changes the visits.

I understand the attraction of a personal tour, but it is very much a trade-off against flexibility and seeing things at entirely your own pace and in your own order ie spending a bit longer or a bit shorter etc - and personally I like to soak in atmosphere rather than hearing a 1001 things that in my case goes straight in one ear and out the other! I'm not good at tour monologues!

Anyway - enjoy your trip to Rome and your cruise.

Jeff

Jeff, when we do a personal tour we can change things up very quickly so we always do it the way we want. The benefit of the personal tour is we can get to places quicker than if just on our own and find things we would not have necessarily found on your own. If a tour guide is telling us more than we want to know then we just ask them to adjust that. For us, touring is discovery and we have learned so much from our tours. If one is visiting a large city for the very first time and has very little time there my view is that they will get far more out of a tour then just doing it on their own. I'm sure you know this but in Rome (they do this in my own country) certain taxi drivers will take you for quite a ride so you may end up being in a vehicle quite a bit longer since there are times they are taking you a route that is much more lengthily to jack up the price of the fare.

Keith

Jeff, when we do a personal tour we can change things up very quickly so we always do it the way we want. The benefit of the personal tour is we can get to places quicker than if just on our own and find things we would not have necessarily found on your own. If a tour guide is telling us more than we want to know then we just ask them to adjust that. For us, touring is discovery and we have learned so much from our tours. If one is visiting a large city for the very first time and has very little time there my view is that they will get far more out of a tour then just doing it on their own. I'm sure you know this but in Rome (they do this in my own country) certain taxi drivers will take you for quite a ride so you may end up being in a vehicle quite a bit longer since there are times they are taking you a route that is much more lengthily to jack up the price of the fare.

Keith

I perfectly understand that ...

In Rome everything is pretty much on top of each other and taxi drivers for most of the time are fine. Rome is pretty congested and sometimes they take back cuts for speed but even on a bit of a circuit as everything is close it rarely adds anything to be too concerned about cost-wise. And there is also the Rome Metro which has stations next to most of the attractions and is quicker than taxi or limo or van. Much of the attractions are also side by side or very short walks.

Rome is a particular place where early starts and early queuing pays off - and doing reverse flow visits for example in the Vatican Museum or Colleseum really is worthwhile if spending some time alone soaking atmosphere in is important - hence it is in my 'umble opinion that Rome is certainly a city where I think pre-reading and 100% independence certainly pays off considerable dividends. But I do understand that for some this is too much hassle.

And most visitors do not know that the greatest attraction of Rome is Ostia Antica .....

Normally we prefer to explore on our own. Being unfamiliar with the city and having such limited time, we really feel the need to have some help. I am under the impression that we will have control over the tour (after all, isn't that the benefit of being "private"?)

And I love to research a city before I go. For me, that is a big part of the enjoyment. I'll put Ostia Antica on the list!

Normally we prefer to explore on our own. Being unfamiliar with the city and having such limited time, we really feel the need to have some help. I am under the impression that we will have control over the tour (after all, isn't that the benefit of being "private"?)

And I love to research a city before I go. For me, that is a big part of the enjoyment. I'll put Ostia Antica on the list!

You still haven't said yor timings so I'm unable to give you any pointers.

All European cities have transport systems that are easy to navigate and in my view are a very important part of the experience and memories. The Colosseum and Forum etc have their own metro station for example. It is easy to get to. You can't be overcharged on the Metro and it is quicker. You can't get lost.

The Vatican Museum opens at7pm in the evenings now - so there's extra flex in your short time. Book your tickets in advance. Ignore the arrows. Go right to the top of the slope to The Chapel first. Have it to yourself for 20 minutes before people catch you up - so soak up that atmosphere. How much is that worth? Then walk back against the flow. That is the type of thing you can do independently that guides won't bother with.

I mean this nicely. Most Americans follow the advice of other Americans when they visit Europe and the ruts of those very well intentioned approaches are well-trodden and deep. I mean no criticism. Most posters are Americans. But us Europeans know a bit about Europe! Break away and go native. It is easy and safe!

Enjoy your trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Galavant3-

If you are somewhat familiar with the city and the language, Rome is a very "user friendly" place. There are certainly many reasons why "going native" can be a great experience.

However since you indicated that this will be your first visit, I think you're leaning in the right direction. I wouldn't want to spend much of my limited time reading maps, interpreting signs, asking for directions, and figuring out the public transportation system.

You'll spend more money with a private driver/guide, but you will get the benefit of things like expert information, head of line privileges, and peace of mind. We used RomeInLimo for an excursion from Civitavecchia and were happy with their expertise, customer service and ability to adjust our itinerary. The service you describe seems like a very good fit for you.

It is certainly amusing to read a post which, while proclaiming to mean no criticism of Americans, adds a separate paragraph in order to criticize Americans. (I know, I just did something similar with this paragraph. I just couldn't help my American self.) :-)

However since you indicated that this will be your first visit, I think you're leaning in the right direction. I wouldn't want to spend much of my limited time reading maps, interpreting signs, asking for directions, and figuring out the public transportation system.

I think this is probably the right choice for us. I didn't mention this before but we are introducing another couple to cruising. (well, they did join us on a mass market cruise 10 years ago and have refused to cruise since...). I really want for them to have a worry free trip so that they'll be willing to join us again in the future.

We were on the Cloud in the Spring of 2012 with a similar itinerary. I think you will enjoy it and hope the small ship ambience is more suited to your friends' tastes.

You might want to consider looking at private tours from the port of Livorno. We did that. On the first day our driver/guide took us to Florence, with a brief stop in Pisa. On the second, we had a marvelous tour of the Tuscan countryside -- the highlights of which were a couple of hours in San Gimignano and a light lunch and tour at a winery.

The ship offered nice tours, but we could not have seen nearly as much using the ship's offerings. And, with a group of four, our per-person costs were a less than we would have paid for the ship's tours.

You can certainly see the highlights of Florence on your own. There is good train service from Livorno. A tour book and a good map will get you to all the major sights. The ship will offer a similar do it yourself tour where they provide round trip bus service and a good map

If you are veteran Tuscany travelers, I'm sure you know all this and much more.

Archived