Best Cruise Line for a Baby

boowaaccaa

We have a 5 month old and are hankering for a cruise this fall or winter (he will be 6 - 12 months old). Which cruise line offers the most for a baby?

We usually cruise with Carnival (best prices, IMO)but it doesn't seem that friendly for babies under 2.

I haven't cruised Disney, but have heard they're hands down the best when it comes to young children. We've done RCI with a 15 month old and it was fine... Liberty of the Seas with the Oasis upgrades. I wouldn't do one that hasn't been refurbed to provide the daycare etc.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'd definitely do one of the RCI ships with baby nurseries and splash areas for non-diaper trained babies. More pricey than Carnival but not as bad as Disney. They even have toy lending so you can borrow a bag of toys and exchange them when baby tires of them.

see, imo, it doesn't matter. YOU can entertain a kid anywhere, at that age.

We took DD on the Magic at 14 months. She had a blast doing simple fun stuff that toddlers love to do-playing with my shoes, moving the chairs, splash pad, running and walking, watching people, trying new foods...

Disney, doesn't have as much as some want to believe for the under 3 crowd. Once 3, they can do the activities in the club. I was/am disappointed undre 3 isn't allowed for the story times and craft and organized stuff. We LOVED disney and are booked for December.

They have Toddler time on sea days, signing and dancing, then open play time for 30 minutes with some toys/blocks.

There was no open play area on the Magic. They do have splash pads.

The club and nursery do have open house hours, but they tended to be after dinner, so a bit late for dd. BUT she had a blast.

Really, I don't think it matters!

I read that Carnival has some drop in time for Parents to go with their baby at the kids club.

I guess no cruise lines have kids club for babies (without parental supervision)...?

Does anyone know if Carnival has Splash Pads?

I will look into RCI.

Thanks for all the tips and information!

Boo

I read that Carnival has some drop in time for Parents to go with their baby at the kids club.

Yes, they do. It's usually for about 2 hours in the morning. 8-10?

I guess no cruise lines have kids club for babies (without parental supervision)...?

I think Cunard does, but if Disney is not in your Budget, then you won't be doing that. Carnival does have a night owls babysitting which is from about 10pm-2am, around 6 bucks an hour.

Does anyone know if Carnival has Splash Pads?

The newest ship might, but I don't remember. Is a 6 month old really going to care if they can't go in the pool?

We chose RCI when our son was 11 months and it was great! They have the Royal Babies program where you have organized play time with other babies as well as the option to borrow toys to take to your stateroom. We liked the splash pad and the royal promenade for strolling. The crew was amazing with him as well. Another HUGE plus for us was the ability to purchase diapers, wipes and baby food and have it delivered to the cabin instead of packing it all. Carnival doesn't offer this nor do they sell diapers in the Fun Shops. Since then we've chosen Carnival and he's enjoyed it as well though we don't use Camp Carnival except for family activities. We'll be on Carnival Sunshine in November with him (now 4) and our then 10 month old. With planning and realistic expectations it is a great vacation for families with babies!

I guess what it really comes down to is this, DH thinks it is crap to have to pay for a baby to go on a cruise when they are not allowed in the pool, don't eat the food and can't go to the kids club. He wants to do an AI for this reason. I am trying to convince him but not really getting there!

I guess what it really comes down to is this, DH thinks it is crap to have to pay for a baby to go on a cruise when they are not allowed in the pool, don't eat the food and can't go to the kids club. He wants to do an AI for this reason. I am trying to convince him but not really getting there!

I hear this a lot. The counter argument is that babies create a lot of work for waiters and stewards. They don't buy alcohol, souvenirs, specialty restaurants. They don't gamble. The cruise fare is a small portion of revenue for the cruise lines. A baby booked on board means that that is one less spot for an adult who does gamble, drink, and buy souvenirs. Cruise lines lose money by booking babies.

There is quite a bit of misinformation further upthread that I want to clarify. Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Disney all have facilities for babysitting infants. Not all Royal Caribbean ships do, not sure about Carnival. Hours and prices vary. Royal Caribbean's Oasis and Freedom class ships have baby splash pools. Royal Caribbean also has in cabin babysitting for children over 12 months.

I hear this a lot. The counter argument is that babies create a lot of work for waiters and stewards. They don't buy alcohol, souvenirs, specialty restaurants. They don't gamble. The cruise fare is a small portion of revenue for the cruise lines. A baby booked on board means that that is one less spot for an adult who does gamble, drink, and buy souvenirs. Cruise lines lose money by booking babies.

I love a good healthy debate! I absolutely agree it is more work for the staff.

However, a baby booked on board would not mean one less spot for an adult necessarily. He is a third person in a room. I think most of the time a third person in a room would be a child. And a baby surly costs a lot less then a older child who is using the kids club, sports facility's and eating the food.

:)

I love a good healthy debate! I absolutely agree it is more work for the staff.

However, a baby booked on board would not mean one less spot for an adult necessarily. He is a third person in a room. I think most of the time a third person in a room would be a child. And a baby surly costs a lot less then a older child who is using the kids club, sports facility's and eating the food.

:)

Ships are only allowed to carry so many living souls on board, so a baby counts as one soul. It doesn't matter that the child is a third person in a cabin. What matters is how many total souls will be on board. So, for every child that sails, one less adult can sail.

You do raise a good point about a younger child costing less than an older child. I think, if I remember correctly, some cruise lines will ask the age of the child - but I am not sure if this used to adjust pricing or not. When we booked out first cruise (24 days and counting), our son was booked as third person, and I think he cost half of what my wife and I cost - however, I think this was just the standard third person rate at the time. It had nothing to do with him being a child or that he is only 3 years old. I think you pretty much have to look around for the deals.

One huge benefit to traveling with a little one is that you can travel during non-peak times, so you can get better rates :)

Tell your husband that the cruise may be great, or it may be a lot of work, but you will never know unless you try it. From the few trips we have taken with our son, some parts of the vacation were magical, some were ugly (tantrums), but overall my wife and I had no regrets. Enjoy your cruise.

You often have to pay a fee for babies at AI's too though.

On a cruise you pay 3rd passenger rate which can be under $300. Some lines offer kids sail free deals on occasion. MSC is one and a few others.

I believe all RCI ships have babysitting, but only the upgraded ones have the drop off nursery. I could be wrong!

Regarding the argument about AI vs cruise, we have debated this one as well. I think I feel more comfortable leaving my child in care if the (primarily) ladies on the ship than I would in the hands of the typical 'kids club' staff at an all inclusive. While I haven't validated their qualifications myself, this is their primary job on the ship whereas at an AI you will also see them hosting the evening entertainment and running the aqua fit class depending on their daily assignment.

If, as some will, you think you would be unwilling to leave your bundle of joy in the hands of someone else at all, it probably doesn't make a difference.

Cruise = better food, more contained

AI = likely slightly cheaper if you're a drinker, probably a larger room (unless you would book a suite on the ship)

You can use this search feature to see the itineraries of RC ships that have been built or retrofitted with a nursery

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/search/buildAdvancedSearch.do

Please note that I do not believe that it is possible to can sign up for specific nursery hours before you cruise. I believe the sign up procedure is to choose 20 hours on the first night, and then remaining hours are opened up the next morning. Babies 6-36 months are eligible. The fee is $6 per hour during the day, $8 per hour at night.

Disney cruise lines have nurseries for babies 6-36 months, and charge $6 per hour. It is possible to register for nursery hours prior to sailing, and repeat cruisers are able to sign up first.

Princess allows children under the age of 3 to visit the Kidzone, and fully participate in arts and craft activities as long as they are supervised by a parent or guardian. There was - at least on the Coral princess - a small toddler pool, plus one of the main pools had a large very shallow area where I only got my feet wet. I took my son in that (the water was only up to his shins so his diaper had no contact with the pool) and no one stopped us.

We took our daughter on a Carnival cruise at 6 months and 1 week. They didn't have a kids club or splash pad available for her (they require kids to be potty trained and I could be wrong, but I thought that was a mandatory rule for all ships). They did have free play time with adult supervision for a couple of hours a day, and there was babysitting available in the kids club regardless of age after about 8pm, but if you have an infant who really wants to be up too late anyway? The only AI I found that offers child care for young babies are Beaches or Franklin D in Jamaica and they are VERY expensive compared to a cruise (not to mention you then have to deal with flights and transfers, I guess if you don't live in Florida that doesn't matter). I will say the staff did have to work harder keeping our cabin clean (diapers etc), but they were so welcoming and were so amazing with our daughter it's the only vacation I will consider until she is much older. She has cruised since and is cruising again two more times before the end of the year (2 now). I know Disney is expensive and I don't think we can really justify that until she is older. I can't speak for Royal Caribbean, but I have been extremely happy with Carnival. I would strongly recommend getting a balcony though, so you have somewhere to relax during nap/bed time. There is a lot to be said for relaxing outside at night watching the stars with a glass of wine while your munchkin sleeps.

We looked at Beaches, and there were three deciding factors against - first was the time to get there. With no direct flights, we needed to take two flights, and then when you arrived, you still needed to take a two hour bus transfer to the resort. I think total travel time was close to 8 hours. We can drive the port at Baltimore in 1.5 hours. Second was cost - the cruise was actually a bit cheaper when you factored in flights. Third were the reviews - I cannot remember the site, but I found one where several parents gave very poor reviews of the kids club. I would definitely look for reviews of the kids club, the facilities they have for children, and the staff dedicated to watch the children. Some may be great, but the one we looked at had some very mixed reviews, enough for my wife to nix the idea of going to that AI.

[quote name=Lerin;39801451

The newest ship might' date=' but I don't remember. Is a 6 month old really going to care if they can't go in the pool?[/quote]

nope. my 14 month old didn't care. She did enjoy the splash pad. And this year she'll enjoy the pool, if she wants (she's pt, no worries, lol).

Here's a fact. I've NEVER used the pools on a ship, but it's still worth it to go. Right now, the baby pools are on clearance everyone. Go pick up a blow up pool, put it on the balcony or bathroom. happy kid.

And starting at 6 months, your baby will be on food and what better place to try new foods? DD wasn't eating a ton (unless it's steak, that kid gets her own, even then), but she loved trying new foods, fresh fruits, steamed veggies, tuna.

We also didn't/don't use childcare, so land or cruise, didn't matter. When I looked into it, I couldn't find a land vacation for a week for anywhere close to the same price. Plus, I refuse to fly with a baby/toddler (personal choice).

The clubs/nursery on Disney did have open house hours, which dd enjoyed, Even though the club was 3+, then let 3 and under in during open house hours.

I think I'll look into Princess, if they have an open play area for under 3!

Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas.

For us, a flight is the only option. We live north of Toronto, ON, CANADA - so no choice (tho DH seems to think our baby can do a 28 hour drive - I strongly disagree!)

The price of a AI can be around $1000 per adult, no charge for baby; and a cruise is plus flight. Flights to Florida are currently around $500 per adult. And we agree that we would need a balcony so our baby can nap and go to bed early etc..

Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas.

For us, a flight is the only option. We live north of Toronto, ON, CANADA - so no choice (tho DH seems to think our baby can do a 28 hour drive - I strongly disagree!)

The price of a AI can be around $1000 per adult, no charge for baby; and a cruise is plus flight. Flights to Florida are currently around $500 per adult. And we agree that we would need a balcony so our baby can nap and go to bed early etc..

You know, since this thread was started, I have joined the trip advisor forums, which deals with more land-based travel, and there were some great recommendations for AI in Mexico and the Caribbean. My wife's boss just returned from an AI in Turkey, so she is now thinking about trying one of those next year for our big trip. :rolleyes: I told that I invested a lot of time into CC, so maybe we should take another cruise...lol... But I did look at some of the resorts, and they are spectacular.

Good luck with whatever you decide, but do come back and tell us :)

Archived