Elegant Night

HappyHygienist

Like any establishment, there are dress codes. On elegant night, Carnival would like men to wear, at the minimum: long pants/shirt/jacket.

Notice I said minimum.

Why try to get away with something when you have the lido deck buffet to go to and not mess with the established policies set?

Carnival has given options....Elegant night with appropriate dress or the lido deck for guests not wanting to dress for the occasion.

Why do people try to buck the system ??

You should get your facts straight before posting. A Jacket is NOT part of the minimum elegant night dress code.

You should get your facts straight before posting. A Jacket is NOT part of the minimum elegant night dress code.

Copied below is portion of what is on Carnival's web site:

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Looks like my facts are spot on......

Also, to me, wearing one of those Cuban cuba what ever shirts is not elegant and does not appear as an option for elegant dining night....

Just my 2 cents.... :)

I love reading the weekly "What to wear on elegant night" threads!

Notice I said minimum.

When you calculate the amount of federal income taxes you owe, that is the minimum amount you are required to pay. There is a place where you can pay more than that amount if you wish.

And the cool kids were the ones smoking in the bathroom while I was doing my homework. Now they're the ones who have to wear a tie every day as the manager of McDonalds while I'm free to wear shorts to work as an engineer.

I reluctantly go with dress pants, a dress shirt, no tie, definitely no jacket, and a dark pair of sneakers (no way I'm packing an extra pair of shoes to wear for just an hour on a two week vacation!)

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat.

There you have the definitive answer in black and white (and red) - a jacket or sport coat is NOT required!

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Looks like my facts are spot on......

Also, to me, wearing one of those Cuban cuba what ever shirts is not elegant and does not appear as an option for elegant dining night....

Just my 2 cents.... :)

With all due respect, your facts are not spot on. A sport coat is suggested, not part of the minimum as you stated. The minimum for a male is dress slacks and dress shirt.

2 more cents...:)

And the cool kids were the ones smoking in the bathroom while I was doing my homework. Now they're the ones who have to wear a tie every day as the manager of McDonalds while I'm free to wear shorts to work as an engineer.

Yeah, but you'd look cooler in a nice sport jacket.

Haven't you ever seen How I Met Your Mother?

Dressing up nice is awesome. It's classy. It makes you look your best.

I love reading the weekly "What to wear on elegant night" threads!

When you calculate the amount of federal income taxes you owe, that is the minimum amount you are required to pay. There is a place where you can pay more than that amount if you wish.

I reluctantly go with dress pants, a dress shirt, no tie, definitely no jacket, and a dark pair of sneakers (no way I'm packing an extra pair of shoes to wear for just an hour on a two week vacation!)

How dare you! If you don't get all dressed up in a super fancy tuxedo, my food won't taste as good! And make no mistake, I'm going to come to your table and check to make sure that your jacket is tux material and not suit material, because hardly anyone can actually tell the difference between the 2 just by looking. And don't try to fool me by wearing a suit jacket with the cheezy clown-like bow-tie that often is worn with tuxedos. I will not be fooled by that. I will read the tag and find out that it is suit material and not tux material, and I will accuse you of negatively affecting my dinner, & I will gripe about you forever more. I have decided that you and everyone else in the world is much happier when they are dressed up super fancy. Some people claim to be happier when they simply fulfill the minimum requirement, and they say that they are happier to not double their luggage with the suit/tux & fancy shoes, but I know that they are just lying to themselves. I know them better than they know themselves. Some men say that they don't like being just another clone, all looking exactly the same, but I know that all men enjoy being just clones of one another. And, I always pay more taxes than the minimum as well.

All joking aside, I am of the same mindset as you (except that I do kind of like ties, so I will add it to what you said). I did the suit before, now I've scaled back quite a bit, and I am so much happier & more comfortable. To the OP, if you aren't worried about the people who think like my above paragraph, what you said will be fine.

Archived