Elegant Night

HappyHygienist

Anything goes on Carnival on the "so-called" elegant night. Just ask the lady at the table next to me on my recent Breeze cruise who was allowed in with flip flops, shorts, a halter top, and a pack of Marlboros squished between her breasts.

Your husband will feel right at home with a backward baseball hat, tank top, and shorts that do not fit at the waist. I am not exaggerating - this was on my Carnival Breeze cruise that I got off of last weekend.

I just got off a ship last Thursday. On 'elegant' night, I estimate 50% of the men wore a sport jacket and/or suit coat. The remainder wore a variety of things, including a shirt with tie, shirt without tie, and collared pullover (golf shirt).

I have seen a number of folks approached by the Maitre (on different ships) who then did not enter the dining room in their causal attire on Elegant Night. It is less likely to be stopped if you are on the second level or sneak in the the middle of a large group of nicely dressed guests.

Like any establishment, there are dress codes. On elegant night, Carnival would like men to wear, at the minimum: long pants/shirt/jacket.

Notice I said minimum.

Why try to get away with something when you have the lido deck buffet to go to and not mess with the established policies set?

Carnival has given options....Elegant night with appropriate dress or the lido deck for guests not wanting to dress for the occasion.

Why do people try to buck the system ??

Like any establishment, there are dress codes. On elegant night, Carnival would like men to wear, at the minimum: long pants/shirt/jacket.

Notice I said minimum.

?

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats

So according to Carnival dress slacks and dress shirt

(from FAQ on carnival website

The actual dress "code" is only the part under not permitted.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx#q-544446

If you look at the Fun Times, they repeat the same or less. FYI, Ken Byrne was the maitre d' on this cruise a few months ago,

D2P6.jpg

My family dressed up for formal night and wore nice outfits for regular dinners. I saw some awful dressing permitted which did not really bother us because we had our own table and our own style of dressing. That being said some of what I saw should not have been allowed at all on formal night. I am not talking tee shirts, shorts...way worse.

My DH wears dress pants and a dress shirt. He hates ties and I don't want to waste the suitcase space with a jacket. He fits right in. In my experience, most men wear dress pants, dress shirt, tie, no jacket.

My husband will be wearing the same on elegant night. He works in a business casual environment - and doesn't even own a suit.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Forums mobile app

I have said it before and I will say it again......my meal does not taste any differently because of what someone at the next table is wearing. I would much rather see a man dressed in khakis and a nice golf shirt or a Tommy Bahama shirt, than some of the cheap ill-fitting outfits I have seen on their way to the dining room. Those poor guys look like they may choke!

I have also decided I am going to buy stock in some of these spandex dress companies because they must be made with space-aged material to hold in all that flesh that is crammed into dresses that must be at least 2 or 3 sizes too small!

This offends me a lot worse than whether someone isn't wearing a tie....:rolleyes:

On a 3 day cruise, I'd say, nice shirt and slacks will be sufficient. Don't sweat the small stuff. No body will be upset, most will be in smart wear. (one step below cocktail attire, lol)

Oh heck, who cares, wear what you want its your vacation. You can sit with me, it will be ok.

Notice I said minimum.

Why try to get away with something when you have the lido deck buffet to go to and not mess with the established policies set?

Carnival has given options....Elegant night with appropriate dress or the lido deck for guests not wanting to dress for the occasion.

I don't know. Probably the same reason some people invent their own version of the dress code.

I have said it before and I will say it again......my meal does not taste any differently because of what someone at the next table is wearing. I would much rather see a man dressed in khakis and a nice golf shirt or a Tommy Bahama shirt, than some of the cheap ill-fitting outfits I have seen on their way to the dining room. Those poor guys look like they may choke!

I have also decided I am going to buy stock in some of these spandex dress companies because they must be made with space-aged material to hold in all that flesh that is crammed into dresses that must be at least 2 or 3 sizes too small!

This offends me a lot worse than whether someone isn't wearing a tie....:rolleyes:

OMG, you are so right and that fabric teamed with a thong is the worst in the world. I am still not sure where that lump of flesh that appears over their backside comes from and I am in the medical profession.

Don’t be sorry for posting your question. The mdr has some rules for dress codes but not strictly enforced. I myself would care less what others wear or what I wear they think. Don’t go out of your way to impress anyone unless you want to. Dress neatly on elegant night.

Again on Monday the mdr dress code was brought up on John’s Facebook page and most said who cares and it’s not going to affect their meal what others are wearing. And I really think John feels the same way.

Have fun on your cruise.

I just got off a ship last Thursday. On 'elegant' night, I estimate 50% of the men wore a sport jacket and/or suit coat. The remainder wore a variety of things, including a shirt with tie, shirt without tie, and collared pullover (golf shirt).

My estimate is similar but slightly different. I'd say about 50% wear either a jacket/blazer of some sort and/or a tie. About 50% wear neither a jacket nor a tie. Included in the first 50% might be 5 or fewer men in tuxes, 10% in a suit and 10% in a jacket and tie. The remaining 30% in that groups wear a shirt and tie or a jacket with no tie.

My observations are based primarily on early seating during high vacation season

Notice I said minimum.

I have no idea how anyone knows what Carnival would "like" you or me to wear. If you pay for the dining room meal, why should you relegate yourself to the self-serve buffet if you meet the dress code by wearing long pants and a golf shirt?

There is no requirement in the dress code for a jacket or a tie, so if you meet the posted dress code, everything will be fine.

Archived