Elegant Night

HappyHygienist

We've always liked formal nights. I understand Carnival now calls them elegant nights. My husband will bring his tux and we will continue our tradition of dressing for elegant nights. (Klfrodo, I bet you and your son will look so great!:)) I always love seeing kids dressed for formal evenings. Girls in their cute dresses and young gentlemen in their suits or tuxes. It is a festive evening that I really enjoy.

I do understand some do not wish to dress formally. To each his own. As long as pax dress within minimum, outlined guidelines, I'm sure the dining room staff will be welcoming.

I am so sorry I posted! I had no idea I would be offending so many people! I will make sure he is dressed appropriately!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

What you described in your initial post is fine for elegant nights.

I wear the same thing and on casual nights I wear docker shorts. (gasp)

Once you get on the ship you'll realize that the pax on the ship are nothing like the wolfpack found here at times.

Bill

(Thank you, Bill).

Honestly, my husband is a COL in the Air Force and we "dress up" all the time. This is his "Happy Retirement"cruise after 30 years of service and I KNOW he is not in the mood for his service dress or a suit. I did thoroughly read the "suggested attire" after the debate, and I agree that what I originally suggested for him is not out of place if that is what he wants to wear.

Why try to get away with something when you have the lido deck buffet to go to and not mess with the established policies set?

Carnival has given options....Elegant night with appropriate dress or the lido deck for guests not wanting to dress for the occasion.

Why do people try to buck the system ??

IMO, I don't consider buffet as giving people "options"

All ships have the main dining room and a buffet. Thats standard.

Giving people options would mean providing multiple restaurants (not buffet) that you can choose from. NCL is a perfect example. They have many restaurants - some that are strictly elagant, some that are casual, and some that are in between. That is in addition to the buffet. Those are options - what you have on Carnival are not options since you can't choose between various sit down restaurants where you order from a menu.

Again, that is just my opinion and that is why we really like NCL but when on Carnival we still try to follow the dress code rules even though we hate dressing up.

(Thank you, Bill).

Honestly, my husband is a COL in the Air Force and we "dress up" all the time. This is his "Happy Retirement"cruise after 30 years of service and I KNOW he is not in the mood for his service dress or a suit. I did thoroughly read the "suggested attire" after the debate, and I agree that what I originally suggested for him is not out of place if that is what he wants to wear.

You are welcome and thank your husband for his service.:)

Bill

IMO, I don't consider buffet as giving people "options"

All ships have the main dining room and a buffet. Thats standard.

Giving people options would mean providing multiple restaurants (not buffet) that you can choose from. NCL is a perfect example. They have many restaurants - some that are strictly elagant, some that are casual, and some that are in between. That is in addition to the buffet. Those are options - what you have on Carnival are not options since you can't choose between various sit down restaurants where you order from a menu.

Again, that is just my opinion and that is why we really like NCL but when on Carnival we still try to follow the dress code rules even though we hate dressing up.

On the cruises i have been on with NCL I agree there are options but I only saw 2 restaurants on each ship that you weren't allowed to wear shorts.

It was I believe Le Bistro the french restaurant and one of the main MDR's.

I wore shorts to any of the other restaurants as per their dress code.

I brought long pants to eat in the one main dining room the first night but as it turned out they let the dress code go the first night and saw plenty of people in shorts.

Bill

I'm giving up. No more tux for me.(or suit) Next time a dress shirt and tie.Tired of hauling a tux half way around the world and then seeing so few men observing the dress code. That'll save a lot of suitcase space.

Oh they are observing the dress code.....a tux or suit just aren't part of the required dress code any longer. You'll be catching up to the current times instead of living in the past on a Carnival Cruise by leaving your tux and suit at home;).

Girl equation

...my guy in a (nice suit + hot) = lucky

my guy (in a tux + hotter) = luckier

you do the math :D

I'd rather have my guy dress in what he wants to wear so he is happy and we have an enjoyable evening together....I know a suit or tux would make him miserable and hot (sweaty:eek:). Not the guy I'd want to hang out with all evening....

Like any establishment, there are dress codes. On elegant night, Carnival would like men to wear, at the minimum: long pants/shirt/jacket.

Notice I said minimum.

Why try to get away with something when you have the lido deck buffet to go to and not mess with the established policies set?

Carnival has given options....Elegant night with appropriate dress or the lido deck for guests not wanting to dress for the occasion.

Why do people try to buck the system ??

perhaps a better question might be why you consider people who are abiding by the actual rules (the "minimum" posted above) to be "messing with established policies" or "bucking the system" or characterizing them dressing according to the dress code as being "inappropriately dressed".

It seems that Carnival has one rule and you have a more stringent standard which you are unilaterally trying to impose on others, while pretending that its Carnival's rule too.....

perhaps a better question might be why you consider people who are abiding by the actual rules (the "minimum" posted above) to be "messing with established policies" or "bucking the system" or characterizing them dressing according to the dress code as being "inappropriately dressed".

It seems that Carnival has one rule and you have a more stringent standard which you are unilaterally trying to impose on others, while pretending that its Carnival's rule too.....

Amen to that. I am so sick of the MDR rules queens.

I'd rather have my guy dress in what he wants to wear so he is happy and we have an enjoyable evening together....I know a suit or tux would make him miserable and hot (sweaty:eek:). Not the guy I'd want to hang out with all evening....

Warm Breezes, I agree with you 100%. My husband works very hard (not saying no one else does) for his vacation so why would I want him to do something that would make him miserable. He will wear a nice dress shirt and pants and I support him 100%. :D

Warm Breezes, I agree with you 100%. My husband works very hard (not saying no one else does) for his vacation so why would I want him to do something that would make him miserable. He will wear a nice dress shirt and pants and I support him 100%. :D

You are a keeper. He is a lucky man. Unlike some others "wives" on this site.

Archived