question about solo pricing on Princess

vmom

When I first began looking into solo pricing for Princess cruises about a year ago, I noticed that many of the cruises for an inside cabin the price for a solo was 150%. All other catagory cabins I noticed were double. I was told by a Princes rep that occasionally an outside view window cabin may have a solo promotional for 150% but not typically.

I have been looking at cruises and thinking about trying out solo cruising. I now find that the prices are 200% regardless of whether it is an inside, outside or balcony. Seems like the pricing policy on solo cruising has changed.

Any one have any info about whether Princess offers specials for solo travelers? I looked into the "special" hosted Princess cruises on their website. There's only 3 offered and there did not seem to be a solo special pricing offered, just special events offered on those cruises.

I understand the reason behind the pricing for solo travelers being double the cost since they could have booked the cabin to two people rather than booked to one person, but still I thought the 150% pricing on inside cabins was a nice gesture.

Flash specials for singles are always 200%, even for insides.

I would look more at the price, than the percentage.

For example - several years ago a friend and I both booked an Alaskan cruise (B2B). Our cabins were 2 doors down from each other and they were outside cabins.

He booked his several months in advance and probably paid 130-150%. I booked it about 60 days out and paid 200%. We both paid the same amount for the cabins but paid different percentages as the price went down when I booked but I paid a higher percentage.

Also, try to book with a TA who discounts, this can lower the burden of the single supplement.

----------

My TA sent me something in Februrary that I just found:

Single Passengers occupying a twin stateroom pay an exclusive occupancy supplement, calculated as follows

Interior, Oceanview (standard and obstructed): 160% of cruise fare (200% for cruises 6 days and less).

Oceanview (premium), Balcony, Deluxe Balcony, Mini-Suite & Suite: 200% of cruise fare

I have still found flash specials at 200%, even for insides.

----------

My TA sent me something in Februrary that I just found:

Single Passengers occupying a twin stateroom pay an exclusive occupancy supplement, calculated as follows

Interior, Oceanview (standard and obstructed): 160% of cruise fare (200% for cruises 6 days and less).

Oceanview (premium), Balcony, Deluxe Balcony, Mini-Suite & Suite: 200% of cruise fare

I have still found flash specials at 200%, even for insides.

Thanks for the suggestions and good point about looking at the final cost.

Regarding what your TA sent you, this is what I was told by the rep aboard ship last January, but when I have been checking prices lately, even when I got out a year or so I am still getting 200% pricing, not the 160%.

I will take your advice and look at final price. That however limits me to waiting for price decreases to get any sort of value price. Its not so bad on the Caribbean pricing, but on some of the longer cruises or cruises outside of the Caribbean, it can really get expensive when doubling the price unless there is a good special offered.

I will take your advice and look at final price. That however limits me to waiting for price decreases to get any sort of value price. Its not so bad on the Caribbean pricing, but on some of the longer cruises or cruises outside of the Caribbean, it can really get expensive when doubling the price unless there is a good special offered.

It helps to find a TA who also understands single supplement and will seek out deals for you. Try to establish a relationship with one if you haven't already and they can alert you to anything that you may be interested in. For example, a friend recently booked a river cruise with zero single supplement. She were looking at a European cruise and the agent mentioned the possibility of a river cruise that was waiving single supplement and she saved quite a bit of money.

Archived