Just off Carnival Magic - bizzare behavior or the new normal?

3 gals and a buoy

I have to say we were extremely disappointed in our cruise on the Magic this past May. Please forgive me but this ship had some real rednecks and the class of people just did not measure up to past cruises. We had drunks that would get in fights at 3 am and the ship was so hot. We had one redneck that threw his glass of beer at my daughter, because she was cheering for the Memphis Grizzles.... and they were loosing. I have never experienced such horrible behavior in any of our previous cruises. I agree with the person that Carnival lowering their prices to such low rates people that would not cruise are not cruising on Carnival. With Carnival's response to my complaints I think I am going to look for another cruise line.

That behavior is classless and unacceptable, of course, but am I the only person who thinks it is ironic that so many people, in an attempt to show their disgust and to demonstrate how much better they are than those they consider lower forms, feel compelled to throw out denigrating names like "redneck" and "breeder"?

I have to say we were extremely disappointed in our cruise on the Magic this past May. Please forgive me but this ship had some real rednecks and the class of people just did not measure up to past cruises. We had drunks that would get in fights at 3 am and the ship was so hot. We had one redneck that threw his glass of beer at my daughter, because she was cheering for the Memphis Grizzles.... and they were loosing. I have never experienced such horrible behavior in any of our previous cruises. I agree with the person that Carnival lowering their prices to such low rates people that would not cruise are not cruising on Carnival. With Carnival's response to my complaints I think I am going to look for another cruise line.

Sadly many people with true class don't want to cruise with people who find it perfectly OK to use expressions like rednecks. How is your redneck comment any different from the behavior you thought was classless.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Is this true? Our five year old always joins us in the hot tub, he loves them. In fact, back in June he and his two nieces (7 and 4) wanted to swim there exclusively due to the pools being too crowded and too salty. We never used the ones on the lido deck near the pools, would always find an empty one on 4.

Never knew it was against the rules. We typically tried to avoid times that there were adults there already.

The hot tub is not for swimming and I would be an upset person if I was in a hot tub and some child was using it for swimming.

Just off a 7 day cruise with my husband and two younger daughters (9 & 12). For the most part, we had a really nice time but there were a couple things that surprised me that we experienced on board. I realize it was a small part of the experience, but just curious what you would have thought.

First was in regards to the photo sessions. There was a couple we walked past at about 8:00PM that were hard to miss. They were posing in various sexual positions and the photographer was snapping away while their group of friends were cheering them on. My kids were like - why is he doing that to her? Yeah....

Second was during the main dining room. On the last night of the cruise there was a toddler running around in just a diaper (no other clothes or shoes). I realize that not everyone likes to dress up for dinner, but come on.

We also ate at the steak house. The food and service were great, but two tables over had a one year old doing laps around the parents table. She was pulling things off of the surrounding tables while the parents ignored them.

Also - are non-potty trained kids supposed to be in the pools? I know on Disney they had a dedicated toddler pool that was drained and refilled nightly for obvious reasons. Keep in mind I have kids and they have been on every sailing with us since we had them. I just make sure they followed the rules of the ship with dress code, etc.

Maybe I should mind my own business, but am I crazy to think that's over the top a bit, or are people "just on vacation and anything goes?"

This stuff comes with the territory, and the crowd, when you cruise on Carnival. Expect it.

• 1 month later...
Is this true? Our five year old always joins us in the hot tub, he loves them. In fact, back in June he and his two nieces (7 and 4) wanted to swim there exclusively due to the pools being too crowded and too salty. We never used the ones on the lido deck near the pools, would always find an empty one on 4.

Never knew it was against the rules. We typically tried to avoid times that there were adults there already.

First, please read up on hot tub dangers for children; secondly: As a nurse, I can tell you hot tubs are DANGEROUS for children for many reasons including possible sterilization ( I'm sure you would like GK someday! ) and sudden temp spikes which can cause seizures. Thirdly: most lines do not allow children in hot tubs for a variety of other safety reasons.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

This stuff comes with the territory, and the crowd, when you cruise on Carnival. Expect it.

Tacky behavior can be found everywhere now-a-days. It's a sad commentary on society.

Temp has to be on 70-72 for me to sleep comfortably. We set our thermostat on those temps at home. When we visit the inlaws I lose weight from sweating as they like the house temp at 78 degrees, winter or summer...

If that's the secret to losing weight, I think I'll go up the thermostat!