Just off Carnival Magic - bizzare behavior or the new normal?

3 gals and a buoy

People who have no regard for others should stay home! I would've said something to the Maitre D' if I had seen someone changing a baby's diaper in the dining room! That is absolutely disgusting and--low class! Actually, I would've said something directly to that person doing this.

I wouldn't have wasted time with the Maître'd... the parents (and everyone else in the MDR) would have learned how loud and how profane a shipyard worker can be!

As far as the couple, although what they were doing was wrong, i personally wouldnt really care, cuz i understand that they were just trying to have fun. (as bad as that sounds). if the clothes started coming off, well them thats a different story.

as far as the kid running around in a diaper in the MDR, that is a big no no!!! I understand the parents not wanting to be too strict on vacation because they want the kids to have fun, but come on! what happened to decency and basic respect? Its not ok to have a child running around, ruining the dinner of others, i dont care how cute the baby is. And with no clothes on? i would have said something to the head waiter or the maitre d. I have 2 kids, one of them 1 year old, and i would never let my daughter do that, at home or elsewhere.

i wonder if the kids that arent potty trained in the pool had swim diapers on. When i put my daughter in the kiddie pool, she has a swim diaper on, and a bathing suit over it so you cant tell that she's "protected".

No matter, kids that are not potty trained, including those in swim diapers, are not allowed in the pools...

But how much of a cruise does a toddler remember?
Once again, to each his own. I certainly don't remember much before age 4.

But I wouldn't suggest that parents that want to share their vacation time with their wee ones not do so because they won't remember anything about it. I would suggest that they act responsibly in handling and controlling their child anywhere and anytime....cruise time included.

JMHO

Charlie

I have a 6 year old and a 3 year old... I cruise with them every cruise my choice if my kids act up at dinner they get one shot and then there done and in all my days at sea I've eaten room service once cause one of them acted a fool and I took them out.. I refuse weather at home or on a cruise ship for my kid to act like they have no sense... ... We did the steakhouse once with them they did fine we paid for both but they split the meal... But they knew better then to act up... Yes I'm one of those parents who will pop a bottom if they act up... As far as the diaper in the mdr that is straight up nasty I would of made a scene out of that... Ewwww... Diapers in the pool my youngest just got potty trained so our upcoming cruise will be her first in the water I've seen many parents ignore that but it's not enforced but I think it's gross... I let my old one swim in the pools and hot tubs except for the ones that are for adults only.... I agree it's my vacation and I want to have fun but my kids are still my responsibility some folks just forget that

But how much of a cruise does a toddler remember?

How much of anything does a toddler remember?

Why don't you ask that of people who were abused or beaten as children?

If people really and truly believed toddlers didn't learn or remember from experiences, then we would all just leave them chained up in the basement until they turned 6.

The adults we become are shaped from the experiences we have beginning the second we are born. Some would argue, even before we are born.

Sincerely,

Someone who always travels with my young child because spending time with family is what shapes us as a family.

When my daughter was very young, I didn't shy her away from witnessing adults behaving badly, and I bluntly called out their stupid behavior. No gentle language from me either, and I spoke loudly enough that the offending party could hear as well. I considered it a teachable moment.

I can't imagine making this out to be a trend on Carnival, however. And I'll never have any appreciation for comments from anyone who has a desperate need to see himself or herself as financially superior to others of a lesser class. What is that, cash-rich and yet morally bankrupt?

Edited by larkz

I can't imagine anyone bring a very young child on a cruise period. What fun would that be? I have 2 and they will stay with the grandparents or I will stay home!

Last year we took our one year old (at the time) grandson with both kids and their significant others.

We had a great time together.

When he got fussy in the DR we put him in the stroller and took him for walks around the DR and the corridors.

My favorite time on the whole cruise was when I took him to the back empty lounge middle of the day and let him crawl all over the lounge and the stage and taught him to jump off the stage.

When you get near the bottom, you find alot of crud.

But, never forget......"It is my cruise, I can do whatever I want"

That pretty much answers any behavior, no matter how offended others that are less enlightened happen to be...

Edited by TEXASMUNK

That's 2 to 3 times the size of the population of Milwaukee. So yes strange things happen. Overt PDA, unsupervised children, "me" attitude. We see it at home and we see it on vacation.

Charlie

Since the current population of Milwaukee is 597,867, that would mean that there would by over 1.5 million cruisers every week on the 25 largest ships. I think your math is a little wrong...or maybe you just did not know that Milwaukee has almost 600,000 residents.....and the whole Metro Milwaukee area in total has about 1.3 million.

Since the current population of Milwaukee is 597,867, that would mean that there would by over 1.5 million cruisers every week on the 25 largest ships. I think your math is a little wrong...or maybe you just did not know that Milwaukee has almost 600,000 residents.....and the whole Metro Milwaukee area in total has about 1.3 million.

Yup. My math error was pointed out 6 hours ago in posts #34 & #38 I believe

The fact remains that there are a large number of people on cruise ships at any given time. It is a microcosm of our society.

Charlie

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My dd is 4 and next months on the dream will be her 8 th cruise. Vacation is about spending family time together and she travels with us where ever we go. She has been to the steakhouse several times as beef is her favorite meal and I am willing to pay the cost. However she is well behaved and many people come and compliment us about how behaved she is. The trick is she knows what we expect.

Edited by im4clowns

How much of anything does a toddler remember?

Why don't you ask that of people who were abused or beaten as children?

If people really and truly believed toddlers didn't learn or remember from experiences, then we would all just leave them chained up in the basement until they turned 6.

The adults we become are shaped from the experiences we have beginning the second we are born. Some would argue, even before we are born.

Sincerely,

Someone who always travels with my young child because spending time with family is what shapes us as a family.

Like! My son is 7 months, and he soaks information and experience up like a sponge. He will be going on his first cruise with us next month. I do believe in discipline and responsible parenting too. If he starts being disruptive, I plan to take him out, just like at church.

Like! My son is 7 months, and he soaks information and experience up like a sponge. He will be going on his first cruise with us next month. I do believe in discipline and responsible parenting too. If he starts being disruptive, I plan to take him out, just like at church.

What a great parent, if only more were like you and didn't allow their children to run all over them.:rolleyes:

When you get near the bottom, you find alot of crud.

But, never forget......"It is my cruise, I can do whatever I want"

That pretty much answers any behavior, no matter how offended others that are less enlightened happen to be...

I don't think that's an excuse. People need to realize that they are on a ship with other people and that in some cases their conduct needs to show consideration to others. I'm not saying people should go around worrying about not offending others because thats bound to happen but common sense should prevail when deciding to do certain things; especially while in the public view.

Well I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking this stuff was a little nuts.

I did talk to 3 different waiters in the area during the diaper episode. They just looked at me like they had no idea what I could be talking about and kept falling all over themselves offering me "more bread?" I was like, no thanks, appetite is gone!!

I hate the implication that those that are lower income are lower class. I know plenty of people who would be considered wealthy that have no manners or common social skills. My best friends parents would be a perfect example (going into a fancy establishment with wife beater shirts and frayed cut offs, speaking at innapropriate levels and brash...but very very well off). But generally I agree that people in general have become lazier and more selfish/self-centered which often translates into the experiences posters relate here. But I think the problem is among ALL socio-economic statuses.

They are obviously "new" money.

We started cruising with our kids when they were in strollers...they are now 18 and 21. They've been on everything from the Dolphin IV to Queen Mary 2, and they've NEVER been disrepectful. They have always said 'please' and 'thank you', and, now that they're older, they get upset when they see kids getting out of line.

We're not perfect parents, but we made sure from the get-go that they knew what was expected of them, and that there's a proper way to behave. I'm not saying they haven't had their moments, but we've always made sure it wasn't at the expense of someone else's vacation.

It CAN be done.

Agree.

But I wouldn't suggest that parents that want to share their vacation time with their wee ones not do so because they won't remember anything about it. I would suggest that they act responsibly in handling and controlling their child anywhere and anytime....cruise time included.

JMHO

Charlie

I say remove them from the ship.

Maybe next time they will take the hint.

Sorry for the rant. ===> No need to apologise.

I agree:

remove them from the ship at the next port of call.

Any incident like this, endangering the public health of others on board should

at the very least be reported to the ship's Doctor

who will have to handle an outbreak of Norovirus on their watch!