Galapagos Expedition -- Celebrity Airfare & night in Quito

Baybear

We're thinking of booking a Galapagos Celebrity Xpedition tour in the Summer of 2015. I can find all kinds of info on the cost of a 7-day cruise itself, but nothing on how much RT airfare currently costs, and the cost they add for a one-day stay in the Marriott and "day-tour" of Quito, Ecuador.

Does anyone know the approximate cost of airfare from Celebrity for a Galapagos trip... and the cost of a 1-day stay and tour of Quito?

That would be from the East Coast... Baltimore, Philadelphia, or Washington DC or Dulles.

TIA

Celebrity does this as a 10 or 11 day trip from Quito. While they post the 7 day cruise only from what I understand it is very difficult to make your own arrangements to Baltra as I think you have to do it through and Ecuador travel agent.

I know people say they have done it but I believe everyone on our sailing did the 10/11 day trip from Quito or the 13 day MP extension which we did.

Have to say they handled everything wonderfully even when our flight from Miami couldn't land due to fog and were diverted to another airport where we had to stay overnight. When we arrived mid afternoon on the first day of the tour, they met us at the airport, took us to lunch, gave us an abbreviated Quito city tour and caught us up with the rest of the group for dinner. There were about 10 of us on the flight.

I'd highly recommend doing the 10/11 night trip, I'd fly in a day early myself next time. The J.W. Marriot hotel they use in Quito is very, very nice.

You'll find much more information on the Xpedition Roll Calls board where there is a monster thread which has been going on for years. This topic is discussed at length there.

As far as Celebrity air goes, when we booked a couple of years ago you couldn't do Choice Air but Xpedition does show on the list of ships now but it didn't seem to show any flights. From the east coast I'd look at American Airlines and Delta to get an idea.

My advise is to book the 10 -11day trip with Celebrity. My rt fare first class on Delta was 1170 from Newark,my son's was 1100 from BWI in August booked through my travel agent.

United and American fares were higher. Shop around.

As for extra tours while in Quito email Alexlomas@hotmail.com . He was great and has a variety of options and prices. Celebrity has a nice one day tour included in their package.

I usually do a sample booking on one of the online travel agencies or I go to Choice Air and do a sample. Since you're looking at 2015 I would do a sample for the same period in 2014. I've seen the fare as low as $600 for coach. About the same as the fare to Hawaii and about the same flight time.

I don't know the extra cost, but I can tell you booking through X is worth every penny. They supply everything for you. Pick you up at airport, beautiful room, great diners, great day tour, shopping tour on way back, super plane with food from Ecuador to Island. Seemless. We did the 11 day and spent last day at spa and pool and went to incredible restaurant on our own in Quito. Trip of a lifetime.... Why worry about making your own travel when X makes it so easy?

I completely agree with the folks who recommend booking the entire trip with Celebrity. We did it a few years ago and were very impressed with the way Celebrity handled everything. One note of caution, if you have issues with altitude please prepare yourself for the Quito portion of the trip. I had a fierce headache and my stomach was problematic there. Once we were back at sea level in the Galapagos and back on the 'plane after leaving Quito I was fine.

Archived