Snorkeling with kids in Caribbean

mom_n_mi

My husband is interested in going snorkeling when we are the Caribbean. We are going to Cozumel, Belize City and Roatan in December 2014. We have 2 boys, who will be 11 and 5. The 11 has snorkeled at Disney (does that count?) and loved. Both boys are part fish and love being in the water.

I was thinking about doing Chankanaab while in Cozumel since we can walk out to snorkel and they can make sure they can do it, plus there are other activities to do there.

I have read the reef is great in Roatan and Roatan is one of the best places to snorkel. I have read a little bit about West Bay being a great place to go too.

I am nervous about just walking off the ship and finding someone. This is our first time cruising and all of this is just so new.

We are going on NCL Jewel in December 2014. Any information is greatly appreciated on tours, or people.

I do not snorkel, but would want to tag along.

• 7 months later...

We hired a driver from Boden tours in Rotan. After a tour around the island, he took us (including two kids) to the beach up by Bananarama to snorkel. We rented gear right at the beach for ten bucks and our driver watched our stuff.

If you are going to Roatan, I suggest you look at my review (in my signature line) for Maya Key. The snorkeling there is absolutely AWESOME. You walk right down the dock at the island and down the ladder and it's amazing instantly. I have TONS of pictures in my signature line. The island is right there beside where the ship docks and you (unfortunately) can only book this place now using the cruise line (you use to be able to book it on your own). However, I have found that NCL offers the CHEAPEST excursion there compared to the other cruise lines, so that's a plus. There's a lot more to do there as well and it also includes your lunch. :)

We snorkeled with our two boys (ages 8 and 9) at Maya Key and liked it. It was a little rough the day we went and the coral is a little high so you have to be careful that you don't get scraped. We all had a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would recommend Chankanaab for Cozumel. We've been there and watched snorkelers but did not have time to snorkel. We snorkeled at Money Bar and while it was great I would not recommend for kids. Water can change suddenly and boats there do not seem to pay much attention to those in the water.

We're doing Maya Key next trip and snorkeling is the reason. Remember you have to go through cruisemline for reservations.