Eagle Ray Diver's question for Snorkelers

2Okies

I've booked w/ER before, but we didn't get to go out because the weather was bad. We will be going back in January (on Carnival), and I'm thinking of trying this again.

On their website, there are 2 options for snorkeling - a 3 reef and a 2 reef snorkel trip. It mentions the 2 reef might be better for cruisers.

Has anyone used them recently, and which excursion did you take - the 2 or 3 reef trip? I would like to know if 3 reef takes too much time?

It would be nice to have time to eat lunch & shop a little too, so I would like some opinions of the time it takes to do each excursion.

I'm sure we could be off the ship early enough that maybe we could catch the 1st or 2nd group of snorkelers (it says the first group is 8AM, but our ship docks at 8AM, so not sure how that works...) We are in Coz from 8-4.

Also - does ER require you to pay up front now? Before I just made a reservation & was to pay the day of the excursion. Does anyone know how they do it now?

Any advise is appreciated! Thanks!

Yes, I said in my post that it was 8-4. I sent them a question about the time, but haven't heard back from them.

So, in your opinion, a two reef would be wiser for that time period of 8-4? I was thinking that might be the smarter choice, but didn't know for sure.

And, I knew that Coz would be the same time as ship time, coming from Galveston. We've been there many, many times but it seems we have never had any luck getting to go out on the snorkel trip. We've tried it twice and never got to because of the weather. Maybe the 3rd time is the charm!

Yes, I said in my post that it was 8-4. I sent them a question about the time, but haven't heard back from them.

So, in your opinion, a two reef would be wiser for that time period of 8-4? I was thinking that might be the smarter choice, but didn't know for sure.

And, I knew that Coz would be the same time as ship time, coming from Galveston. We've been there many, many times but it seems we have never had any luck getting to go out on the snorkel trip. We've tried it twice and never got to because of the weather. Maybe the 3rd time is the charm!

The three reef trip goes to the off shore reefs, the two stop only the near shore reefs. The near shore are good, but the off shore are better.

The last stop before returning to La Caleta docks is lunch at the Money Bar. By then, I've had enough boat ride so I just have lunch and cab it from there to the ship. If the time is a bit tight, skip lunch and take a cab.

The three reef trip goes to the off shore reefs, the two stop only the near shore reefs. The near shore are good, but the off shore are better.

The last stop before returning to La Caleta docks is lunch at the Money Bar. By then, I've had enough boat ride so I just have lunch and cab it from there to the ship. If the time is a bit tight, skip lunch and take a cab.

Stevesan: how long does the 3 reef usually last by the time you arrive at the Money Bar? We had thought about just going to Money Bar and snorkeling, and then going shopping. Do you think there is good snorkeling there (a good variety of fish) that we would enjoy that just as well and skip the boat all together?

Stevesan: We had thought about just going to Money Bar and snorkeling, and then going shopping. Do you think there is good snorkeling there (a good variety of fish) that we would enjoy that just as well and skip the boat all together?

The more I read these Cozumel Pages, I think that just getting off the ship going out the gate and turning left for about 10 minutes as you walk down the street to El Cids, Sunset Beach or the other place not far from the dock is the best idea. No taxi fares, good snorkeling, can go shopping or eating and drinking within a few blocks, not having to rush off the ship to catch some tour bus, don't have to sweat getting back to the ship in time, is the best way to do Cozumel. :)

The more I read these Cozumel Pages, I think that just getting off the ship going out the gate and turning left for about 10 minutes as you walk down the street to El Cids, Sunset Beach or the other place not far from the dock is the best idea. No taxi fares, good snorkeling, can go shopping or eating and drinking within a few blocks, not having to rush off the ship to catch some tour bus, don't have to sweat getting back to the ship in time, is the best way to do Cozumel. :)

Jaxfl: I know, Coz is pretty easy to navigate on your own. We've always felt pretty safe there, even when it was just me & my teenage daughter cruising on our own. We LOVED Coz the best for shopping & running around on our own.

Last year my husband & I went to Chankanaab, and we weren't that impressed with the snorkeling. We would like to see something a little better than we did there. We'll probably get some good snorkeling in at Roatan (hopefully!) but want to see some good stuff at Coz too. We used to go there years ago & stay on the island, and there was good snorkeling then, but so much less touristy than now too. There was Chankanaab then and it cost us ten CENTS to get into it! All that was there was a little guy that swept the beach! Can you believe it? That was about 25 years ago.

Anyway - back to the subject. If Money Bar is as good as it sounds, maybe we'll just do that and forget spending the money on a boat excursion. I would love to hear some more from other that have snorkeled there. I hear Eagle Ray ends UP at Money Bar after 3 reefs, so that says something I guess.

Yap, it says that Eagle Ray has a deal with Money Bar ;). I understand that Money Bar is one of the most popular places. If you have a lot of ships in port then it would stand to reason that there will be a lot of folks snorkeling there. Maybe more people than fish :eek:. We are also going Roatan and after the bodden ZIP line we are going to the left side by the wall at West Bay for the rest of the day :).

Jaxfl: I know, Coz is pretty easy to navigate on your own. We've always felt pretty safe there, even when it was just me & my teenage daughter cruising on our own. We LOVED Coz the best for shopping & running around on our own.

Last year my husband & I went to Chankanaab, and we weren't that impressed with the snorkeling. We would like to see something a little better than we did there. We'll probably get some good snorkeling in at Roatan (hopefully!) but want to see some good stuff at Coz too. We used to go there years ago & stay on the island, and there was good snorkeling then, but so much less touristy than now too. There was Chankanaab then and it cost us ten CENTS to get into it! All that was there was a little guy that swept the beach! Can you believe it? That was about 25 years ago.

Anyway - back to the subject. If Money Bar is as good as it sounds, maybe we'll just do that and forget spending the money on a boat excursion. I would love to hear some more from other that have snorkeled there. I hear Eagle Ray ends UP at Money Bar after 3 reefs, so that says something I guess.

Whilst I am sure Cozumel is a lot more touristy these days I think you have to remember that most of the reefs were badly damaged by the 2005 hurricane and it takes time for them to recover. One reason why Money Bar and the National Park area are popular is because of the artificial reef balls placed to encourage redevelopment. I believe there are also some in the northern zone.

The following article from Tripadvisor may be of interest about "snorkeling on your own" - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g150809-c114538/Cozumel:Mexico:Snorkeling.On.Your.Own.html

The following article from Tripadvisor may be of interest about "snorkeling on your own" - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g150809-c114538/Cozumel:Mexico:Snorkeling.On.Your.Own.html

See this is what I am talking about....It is perfect for the cruiser that wants to do it on his own and then have time to shop and eat in town.

I always go to The Money Bar when in Cozumel. I have always watched the snorkeling boats drop people off on a reef right in front of the bar. For me, it is cheaper to just take a taxi hear and to relax on the small beach, enjoy the food/drink and then snorkel. It is also not as crowded with cruisers as the other places like Paradise Beach etc.

In April, my sister and I swam for about an hour in front of this place. The current can be strong but did not give us any major issues. There were plenty of fish following us. They have put out big clay type pots on the ocean bottom which are slowly being turned into small reefs with fish in them. Did see the occasional small coral rock formations which had fish on them.

For me the best place for snorkeling is in Roatan.

Whilst I am sure Cozumel is a lot more touristy these days I think you have to remember that most of the reefs were badly damaged by the 2005 hurricane and it takes time for them to recover. One reason why Money Bar and the National Park area are popular is because of the artificial reef balls placed to encourage redevelopment. I believe there are also some in the northern zone.

The near shore reefs experienced major damage from Wilma, the off shore only about 80% damage.

I snorkeled the near shore last year and they were not great, but okay.

Stevesan: how long does the 3 reef usually last by the time you arrive at the Money Bar? We had thought about just going to Money Bar and snorkeling, and then going shopping. Do you think there is good snorkeling there (a good variety of fish) that we would enjoy that just as well and skip the boat all together?

I don't recall the exact time of arrival at Money Bar, but it was noonish.

Give Chellie a call, 866 465 1616 and ask her for the latest time.

I haven't shore snorkeled Coz since 1999 when I snorkeled at Dzul Ha. Then it was only a beach. It has since been built out and is now The Money Bar.

The snorkeling in 1999 was quite good.

I don't recall the exact time of arrival at Money Bar, but it was noonish.

Give Chellie a call, 866 465 1616 and ask her for the latest time.

I haven't shore snorkeled Coz since 1999 when I snorkeled at Dzul Ha. Then it was only a beach. It has since been built out and is now The Money Bar.

The snorkeling in 1999 was quite good.

OK - thanks for the info. We haven't decided to do the boat snorkel or just do the money bar, but this helps.

I "THINK" Dzul Ha may have been where we have snorkeled YEARS ago - probably in the early 80's. While reading up on it here on Cruise Critic, someone said there are a couple of ships/subs out in about 30' of water & they had some pictures. I remember they used to be right about where the cruise ships came in back in the 80's. We used to snorkeled there, and you went down steps to get in the water. The water was always really stirred up and kind of murky back then because of the ships, and the waves & current was really strong. We saw some BIG fish back then around there too - barracuda, octopus, etc. I don't remember any kind of restaurant nearby the steps. We snorkeled a LOT on the other side of Chankanaab - NOTHING was out there then. Like I said before, Chank wasn't really anything special either - just a protected area. I remember we had a map of the island, and we had rented a car, and there was supposed to be a lagoon, and it showed a road to it. We tried to get down that road (dirt & rocks), but the car wouldn't make it because it was toooo rocky. I have a feeling it is the lagoon at Chank.

There was one "soldier" that was always at the lighthouse, that reminded us of Barney Fife - he was usually sleeping, and there wasn't anything out there BUT the lighthouse. The water was rougher to snorkel in, but we found good shells.

Things have changed so much on Coz since the 80's when we were going & staying a week at a time there. We've always loved that little island and its people.

Thanks for the input. Anyone's else's experience w/Eagle Ray or just the money bar (recently) is appreciated.

The near shore reefs experienced major damage from Wilma, the off shore only about 80% damage.

I snorkeled the near shore last year and they were not great, but okay.

Yes I should have clarified that I meant near shore reefs. The OP had been talking about disappointing snorkeling at Chankanaab and wondering if it would be any better at The Money Bar.

• 2 weeks later...

We are going on 2 paid excursions in Roatan & Belize, so we have decided we're just going to try Money Bar in Cozumel, do some snorkeling there, eat & relax. If we get tired of that, we'll go into town for some shopping & then head back to the ship.

Kind of a "play-it-by-ear" kinda day.

I'll give a review of Money Bar when we get back from our trip in January.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived