Access Jinek Bay on non Carnival ship?

Lestel

Hi

We are going back to Lifou in October on Celebrity Solstice and I was wondering if anyone knows if Jinek Bay is still accessible as we are not on a Carnival ship. I'm hoping that the locals have something set up so we can buy the sea pass from them and Carnival doesn't have exclusive use.

Thanks

Lesley :)

We were in Lifou 7 weeks ago on the Pacific Jewel and Jinet Bay was open for swimming BUT the locals announced that a white pointer shark had been seen in the waters that morning and advised no swimming. Subsequently, no one went in the water!! We have been there 5 times now and had never heard of that before.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We were in Lifou 7 weeks ago on the Pacific Jewel and Jinet Bay was open for swimming BUT the locals announced that a white pointer shark had been seen in the waters that morning and advised no swimming. Subsequently, no one went in the water!! We have been there 5 times now and had never heard of that before.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm not surprised no one went in so fingers crossed he's long gone by the end of next month! :D

Had the passengers bought their sea passes on board? As far as I know it is only P & O and Carnival ships that are selling them?

Sea pass???Jinek Bay???

Sounds new to me. If it is what I think it is, then it is probably a natural progression of the principle of supply and demand.

EDIT -- first time I have heard of this but a "Google" search has revealed all.

Unfortunately this is just another case of places being loved to Death by mass tourism. The answer is of course this kind of management - and I believe it is another example of the good fostering of cruising in this region by P&O AUS (as opposed perhaps to the opportunism of other cruiselines). P&O AUS does have it's good points.

Barry

Archived