RCI vs Carnival and Hollard America

peg3632

My last 3 cruises have been on Royal, Carnival and Holland. I have written reviews for all 3. You can click on the links in my signature if you'd like a bit more detailed information about what I thought of each one.

Well, the newest difference is as of January 1, 2014 Royal will prohibit smoking on stateroom balconies. Don't know if that will affect your choice, good, bad or indifferent.

I have cruised both Royal and Carnival. Personally, I prefer the Royal product. I would still consider Carnival depending on circumstances, but Royal is my first "go-to" choice.

Holland America often receives jokes that it is catered for older people and there is no night life past 9pm. I've also heard that the morgue on HAL is twice as big as other lines. Not sure if that's true, but it gives you an idea of the cruising demographic. That being said, I have heard that the food on HAL is outstanding. Being that we are only in our early 30s, it will be several more years (decades) before we consider HAL.

carnival might get the designation of the "fun ship".. but royal can be both fun and slightly more upscale at the same time.

I love both.. but the demographics are different. There are some short sail solid booze cruises on carnival during school break times. I did some short sail RCCL the same times and didn't find that.

For a 7 nighter.. they are similar... royal is less glitzy in decor and less pushy on drinks while sunbathing during the day. Both have great itineraries.

So don't flame me here peeps, but I prefer RCL service, style, and the population , aka demographics are a slight bit difference. The lower carnival price does change the atmosphere in certain sailings.

I've never done Holland, I'm only 43, lol.

Archived