Differences between caribbean and south pacific cruises

Thebosn1

My wife and I are veteran Caribbean cruisers. Next summer we are booked for our first South Pacific cruise, a repositioning cruise from LA to Sydney. I was wondering if there are any significant differences to "shipboard" life between the Caribbean and Pacific?

Any information from anyone who has sailed both would be appreciated. Anything different from what to wear, to what to bring (or not bring) to what to expect from the food, or anything else...

Thanks.

My wife and I are veteran Caribbean cruisers. Next summer we are booked for our first South Pacific cruise, a repositioning cruise from LA to Sydney. I was wondering if there are any significant differences to "shipboard" life between the Caribbean and Pacific?

Any information from anyone who has sailed both would be appreciated. Anything different from what to wear, to what to bring (or not bring) to what to expect from the food, or anything else...

Thanks.

Also interested in hearing the answer to this question as we will be taking our first So. Pacific Cruise next Sept. 2014 on the WindSpirit in Tahiti. We have also been on numerous Caribbean cruises.

Shirley

Edited by "Wandering Wino's"

"Shipboard" life?

A lot more 'sea days' might be the quick answer for the OP.

Depending on the size/capacity of your vessel, one may find the trip to also be more intimate than sailing the Caribbean -- Where one might encounter more families travelling w/ children and/or younger adults.

As for attitudes on board? Much like the Caribbean, think tropical, but perhaps not nearly as much of a 'party boat' mentality. Dress and food on board will predominately be the same.....as will the weather. They're tropical islands. It will either be warm and sunny, or warm and rainy, or both.

One also may experience that some of these Pacific islands aren't as spoilt by over-tourism as those that one may find in some areas of the Caribbean (or even Hawaii). In the Caribbean, many cruise travelers are often bombarded by vendors, tour operators, hawkers and taxi drivers upon leaving the vessel. This isn't as much of a commonality in the S. Pacific.

• 2 weeks later...

Cruisers also aren't the main type of tourism for the South Pacific, they are mainly land based holiday destinations, so you may find the vibe a little different when out on tours. More laid back and less about trying to maximise the money they make while you are there. There is also much more traditional culture retained in places like French Polynesia, Fiji and Samoa.

Also, a huge thing to take into consideration is that you will be in the Southern Hemisphere, the strength of the sun is much much more intense here due to the thinner ozone layer down near Australia. When I was in Florida, I could go hours without reapplying sun screen and I didn't get burned. Here in Australia, I burn within 30 minutes with no screen on. So on your days by the pool, be diligent with the sunscreen!

In general terms this comes down to 3 questions

1. Which islands in the South Pacific

2. Size of ship

3. Stationed full time in the South Pacific or not

1. - Some islands can't be visited by large ships as the draft can be an issue so on some larger ships you might only visit the more touristy/larger/more populated islands. Some smaller islands don't have the infrastructure to handle large ships well.

2. - The smaller the ship the more intimate the setting. Also the above enters in.

3. - As you are on a ship in re-position mode you will get 'vanilla'. A small ship stationed in the South Pacific year round will have food/staff/entertainment that is more from the area. A ship passing by won't have that same feeling.

I guess what I'm saying visiting the South Pacific isn't the same from lets say a larger passing through ship compared to a smaller ship stationed full time in the South Pacific. If you really want to experience the South Pacific right do it on a smaller ship stationed full time in that area.

In December I'll be in the Caribbean on a ship. I've been there a few times but all on larger ships. This time I'll be on a small ship (90 passengers) and visiting smaller islands where most of the larger ships don't go. I fully expect a different experience than what 95% of the people cruising in that area experience. Enough said

Edited by Tikiintahiti

2. Size of ship

1. - Some islands can't be visited by large ships as the draft can be an issue so on some larger ships you might only visit the more touristy/larger/more populated islands. Some smaller islands don't have the infrastructure to handle large ships well.

2. - The smaller the ship the more intimate the setting. Also the above enters in.

3. - As you are on a ship in re-position mode you will get 'vanilla'. A small ship stationed in the South Pacific year round will have food/staff/entertainment that is more from the area. A ship passing by won't have that same feeling.

I guess what I'm saying visiting the South Pacific isn't the same from lets say a larger passing through ship compared to a smaller ship stationed full time in the South Pacific. If you really want to experience the South Pacific right do it on a smaller ship stationed full time in that area.

In December I'll be in the Caribbean on a ship. I've been there a few times but all on larger ships. This time I'll be on a small ship (90 passengers) and visiting smaller islands where most of the larger ships don't go. I fully expect a different experience than what 95% of the people cruising in that area experience. Enough said

I really agree with this posting. Each island that I have been to is different (IMHO more so than the typical 7 day Caribbean cruise ports) and much less touristy and pushy. Scenery can be more lush and culture is less influenced by huge numbers coming in on "big ships". It is worth taking a repositioning cruise -- they are different from other cruises and depend heavily on having a great cruise director with a good program on many sea days and you get the briefest of tastes of the place you visit. A smaller ship (we sailed a small ship Princess but have done other visits by land based) is better as dumping 3,000 passengers on an island with a thousand or so natives does not deliver the greatest experience -- what do you see -- other tourists. BUT any day on a cruise ship is a GOOD DAY:D:D so do the big ship but come back for more time on small ship or land. PS I don't do Caribbean cruises any longer -- just not of interest to me now that I know some other cruises to do. If I go on one with family then I just treat it like a floating resort and that's great too.

2. Size of ship

We've done many Caribbean cruises -- usually b2b for family reunions--just a floating resort--

Nancy:D:D

• 4 months later...

I found the cruises from Australia to the sth pacific were a little more casual than cruises from the US. Dress sense was more casual and there were lots of shorts. T-shirts and thongs(flip flops) in the dining room. Other than the food, entertainment and service was the same. Maybe a little less of a 'party' atmosphere

• 3 weeks later...

For the Pacific islands I wouldn't recommend a ship with more than 300-400 passengers. I have recently come back from a trip on the Caledonian Sky (100 passengers) which sailed from Auckland to Bali via Vanuatu, the Solomons, PNG etc. By an unfortunate coincidence we were at the Isle of the Pines the same day as the Sea Princess. 2000 passengers on that glorious beach was not a pretty sight.

Hi: Like you we have done the Carribean numerous times. we are beach bums and enjoy snorkelling and sightseeing. We have been going through the various books that tell you about the beaches, attractions etc to get the lay of the land. We are also looking at renting a car on some of the islands in Hawaii. My email address is magicthought@hotmail.com. Email me after we come back April 29th and I will share what we thought of it and how we got around if you would like.

We did Tahiti a few years ago on what was then the Tahitian Princess about 600 passengers. First, these islands are seriously remote, not only relative to Australia, Hawaii and the Western Hemisphere but they are not that close to one another. The only city is Tahiti, the rest are islands with villages, no shopping to speak of (thankfully) unless you want to be black pearls, which seems to be the only thing worth buying and they are sold everywhere so know your prices before you go. There are no beaches to speak of or at least no sand beaches. These are lava islands so they are rocky. Everwonder why all those bungalows on the water--because there are no really good beaches to hang out on or to swim from. Activities are mostly water based, snorkeling, snorkeling and snorkeling. Bring your own mask and snorkel so you don't get bad equipment and bring good water shoes. Flip flops are not good for walking on rough rocky beaches and you may even want them when swimming. Unless you are a water person and you have great weather, you may find it all very quiet, even too quiet after the noise and the commercialization and the sand beaches of the Caribbean. Watch your time of year since you can get hit with lots of rain in the wrong season. The islands are beautiful, other than scenery, there is not much to do other than enjoy the water and be with someone you love to be with.

Thank you for the insight. Good job we prepare with beach shoes, snorkel gear, underwater camera and look for areas to snorkel. I am hoping we will be able to do that on the islands we are going to. We enjoy the bigger ships as we enjoy the ship experience as much as the islands. We enjoy numerous venues to go dancing and enjoy being by a pool in the day time so we are hooked on larger ships. Most of all, we enjoy connecting to people we meet along the way. We loved 20 days in November and look forward having the dual experience of ship days and islands we have never seen.

• 2 months later...

We have sailed most of the Caribbean MANY TIMES and we are about to embark on our second Paul Gauguin cruise in May.

I think the biggest difference is there is less infrastructure for tourism in French Polynesia. You will see more of the "real people" and "real customs" rather than the CHAIN jewelry stores, tee shirt shops and touristy restaurant chains.

Aside form St. Lucia, the views are far more breathtaking in places like Bora Bora.

Be prepared to "wing it" more in this part of the world. You will also thankfully find fewer children visiting from the cruise ships and fewer Americans. (I can say this because I AM an American :) )

You will meet many Aussies and more world travelers than in the Caribbean. Remember, it's not cheap for most people to get to this part of the world, so I would venture to say the demographic is a bit more upscale as well. Prices for food at hotels are higher than the Caribbean in general.

It is quite simply one of the most beautiful places in the world!

• 3 months later...
Did men were suits on formal nights on Princess cruise?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Very likely. Dress code usually remands the same on all areas they cruise.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Kamloops50

Did men were suits on formal nights on Princess cruise?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

No. Been on three cruises and no suits. It is like Hawaii where a pair of slacks and a Hawaii shirt is considered causal formal.