British Transatlantic

cleobella

Hi All,

I just found a cruise that looks good...it is transatlantic, with stops in Portugal, Ireland (Cork and Dublin), Brussels, and Le Havre, then docks in London. I would like to book but I have a few question that maybe someone could answer. First, will there be enough stuff to do on board for the 6 days we are at sea crossing the ocean? We usually like our days at sea but I wonder if 6 days is too long? Also, will the weather be OK at the end of April and early May? I would hate to be unable to dock in the exciting ports because of spring storms! Any insights from the more seasoned cruisers would be greatly appreciated!

1. 6 days isn't too long for me, and never has been. Activities on board vary from ship to ship, and you haven't said which ship you're on.

2. I don't know about the weather. You might get a fairly reliable forecast about three days in advance, but don't count on it. All I can say is that all 12 months a year in Britain have some nice days and some not, and the wind is 100% unpredictable, but Spring, Autumn and Winter tend to be the most susceptible to storms.

Trans-Atlantic is way too many consecutive sea-days for me, but each to their own.

Cruise lines are pretty cavalier about their use of the word "London".

Your Princess cruise won't dock on London, it'll probably be Southampton or possibly Dover, both of which are about 80 miles / 2 hours from London, and marginally closer to London's two main inter-continental airports, Heathrow & Gatwick.

JB :)

Ahhh, at last after many years I can disagree with JB (John Bull) about something. We love sea days and will often book cruises because they have many sea days. Our personal record in one Prinsendam cruise where we had 8 straight sea days....and to us, it was absolute heaven. But it really is a different stroke kind of thing. On those sea days DW and I do not even do many activities since we love to relax and read. Others will do the usual shipboard activities and there are always things going on to keep folks busy (if they want to be busy). Had to laugh because on the Prinsendam we made some new friends who were Type A personalities. They actually got into playing "Animal Toss" along with about a dozen other folks. And I will tell you that those passengers were pretty competitive and took that daily "Animal Toss" thing quite seriously since there were some lame prizes to be had.

Hank

Archived