Loved the Danube, now what to do next?

bobalink

We've recently returned from our first river cruise on the Danube from Budapest to Nuremberg. We really loved the river cruise experience and our extended days in Vienna, Budapest and Prague.

I would like to get feedback from those of you who have cruised on some of the other European rivers.

I've been looking at AMA's "Enchanting Rhine" (Amsterday, Cologne, Rudesheim, Speyer, Strasbourg, Breisach, Basel, Lucerne, Zurich)

Or, "Vineyards of the Rhine & Mosel" (Paris, Luxembourg, Bernkastel, Cochem, Koblenz, Mainz/Rudesheim, Cologne, Amsterdam)

What were your favorite rivers and ports? What made them special?

Thanks!

We've recently returned from our first river cruise on the Danube from Budapest to Nuremberg. We really loved the river cruise experience and our extended days in Vienna, Budapest and Prague.

I would like to get feedback from those of you who have cruised on some of the other European rivers.

I've been looking at AMA's "Enchanting Rhine" (Amsterday, Cologne, Rudesheim, Speyer, Strasbourg, Breisach, Basel, Lucerne, Zurich)

Or, "Vineyards of the Rhine & Mosel" (Paris, Luxembourg, Bernkastel, Cochem, Koblenz, Mainz/Rudesheim, Cologne, Amsterdam)

Thanks!

I loved Rudesheim and Rothenbeg ob du Tauber. You can't go wrong with either of those cruises. I would do both of them.:D

We did Amsterdam to Vienna on out 1st river cruise with Viking in 2008 Had a great time..Loved the cites along the Rhine...Lots of charm...lots of castles... Then did the Grand France ( 2 weeks ) with Avalon in 2012...Had an even better time...Loved all the French villages we visited..and the wineries !!! Avalon ends this tour with a night in Monte Carlo..it was fabulous. .Next year we are doing Zurich to Amsterdam with Avalon..with a few extra days in Switzerland. .There are so many good choices...check out all the different lines web sites....select a region you want to see..decide if you want to spend extra time in any of the cities on either end. .good luck.

I have cruised on the Danube, Rhine and Seine. All the cruises were wonderful. It is hard to pick my favorite because they were all so wonderful. On the Rhine, we loved Speyer (a gem), Rudesheim (wonderful town), Lucern (which is an extra)( one of the prettiest towns in the world), and Strassebourg (very interesting and unusual).

I have to say that the Seine was the most spectacular river cruise. I loved the Danube and Rhine, but on the Seince, everything was so awesome. Paris is even more spectacular than I ever imagined. Seeing Monet's gardens lovely. The Normandy landing beaches were moving. Honfleur was a gorgeous seaside town. Versailles and the Louve were one of a kind.

We did Amsterdam to Vienna on out 1st river cruise with Viking in 2008 Had a great time..Loved the cites along the Rhine...Lots of charm...lots of castles... Then did the Grand France ( 2 weeks ) with Avalon in 2012...Had an even better time...Loved all the French villages we visited..and the wineries !!! Avalon ends this tour with a night in Monte Carlo..it was fabulous. .Next year we are doing Zurich to Amsterdam with Avalon..with a few extra days in Switzerland. .There are so many good choices...check out all the different lines web sites....select a region you want to see..decide if you want to spend extra time in any of the cities on either end. .good luck.

You are right! It sounds like you are hooked on river cruising, too.

Have a great time on your next cruise. Zurich to Amsterdam looks like a great one!

I have cruised on the Danube, Rhine and Seine. All the cruises were wonderful. It is hard to pick my favorite because they were all so wonderful. On the Rhine, we loved Speyer (a gem), Rudesheim (wonderful town), Lucern (which is an extra)( one of the prettiest towns in the world), and Strassebourg (very interesting and unusual).

I have to say that the Seine was the most spectacular river cruise. I loved the Danube and Rhine, but on the Seince, everything was so awesome. Paris is even more spectacular than I ever imagined. Seeing Monet's gardens lovely. The Normandy landing beaches were moving. Honfleur was a gorgeous seaside town. Versailles and the Louve were one of a kind.

The Seine does look like a lovely cruise. I would plan on some extended days in Paris.

How many days would you suggest for Paris? I know there is lots to see.

I could be happy with a 2 day stopover in Paris or a week or more (if I was in an apartment). Depends on what my budget & timeline are like. You're not going to see everything no matter how much time you spend there (isn't that always the case? :p) But pick out what you most want to do and see how long that would take.

Rick Steves' website has some nice proposed itineraries based on how long you have to spend there - I think 2 to 7 days?

ETA here's the link with the different itinerary suggestions: http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/france/parisitin.htm

On our last trip to Paris, the only museums we went to were the Sewer Museum and Versailles, even though we were there for 5 or 6 days. Just not in the mood that time ;-)

(I've done a lot of land travel in Europe and we're about to do our first river cruise in 2014 - my husband REALLY wanted to see Germany and I really wanted the Rhine, so we're doing Nuremberg to Basel and we'll both be happy - well, I'd prefer to see the Rhine Gorge- next time! We're doing Christmas markets and Nuremberg & Strasbourg are the markets I'm most looking forward to at this point - we'll try Rhine Gorge on a warmer weather trip, perhaps)

We only stayed one extra night in Paris, but we could have stayed much longer. The cruise had excursions for many of the highlights (Louve, Eiffel Tower, Versailles) so I felt like we got a nice taste of Paris. We had never been there before, so it was a nice overview. But I would love to go back.

Thanks

If you enjoy watching beautiful scenery while cruising during daytime, give the Douro cruises a look (Uniworld/AMA). Docked every night and lots of sailing daytime. Porto is a great town for history and exploring.

One that I really loved was Rudesheim because of the eiswine....best wine I ever tasted. :D

Vienna because of the Stadtpark, with it's gold statue of Strauss.

Heidelburg because of everythng.

Passau because of the organ concert at St. Stephen's.

Every port was marvelous in its own way.

I could be happy with a 2 day stopover in Paris or a week or more (if I was in an apartment). Depends on what my budget & timeline are like. You're not going to see everything no matter how much time you spend there (isn't that always the case? :p) But pick out what you most want to do and see how long that would take.

Rick Steves' website has some nice proposed itineraries based on how long you have to spend there - I think 2 to 7 days?

ETA here's the link with the different itinerary suggestions: http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/france/parisitin.htm

On our last trip to Paris, the only museums we went to were the Sewer Museum and Versailles, even though we were there for 5 or 6 days. Just not in the mood that time ;-)

(I've done a lot of land travel in Europe and we're about to do our first river cruise in 2014 - my husband REALLY wanted to see Germany and I really wanted the Rhine, so we're doing Nuremberg to Basel and we'll both be happy - well, I'd prefer to see the Rhine Gorge- next time! We're doing Christmas markets and Nuremberg & Strasbourg are the markets I'm most looking forward to at this point - we'll try Rhine Gorge on a warmer weather trip, perhaps)

I agree, it's impossible to see everything in just a few days. I really like Rick Steves, too. I've used his books and audio walking tours for several European towns / countries.

Your upcoming cruise sounds wonderful. Enjoy!

One that I really loved was Rudesheim because of the eiswine....best wine I ever tasted. :D

Vienna because of the Stadtpark, with it's gold statue of Strauss.

Heidelburg because of everythng.

Passau because of the organ concert at St. Stephen's.

Every port was marvelous in its own way.

Oh, isn't that stuff great? We enjoyed that ice wine when we went to Niagara on the Lake.

If you enjoy watching beautiful scenery while cruising during daytime, give the Douro cruises a look (Uniworld/AMA). Docked every night and lots of sailing daytime. Porto is a great town for history and exploring.

Yes, the Douro cruises look wonderful, too!

So many choices!

We too, just returned from the AMALyra, we were on the cruise following yours. Had a wonderful time, and am researching the possibilities for next year. We are leaning towards AMA "Enchanting Rhine" or "Rivers and Castles of the Rhine". Both look great. All depends on timing, and if we want to go next year, I think we need to get moving in making the reservations.

Anne

We did Vineyards of the Rhine and Mosel with AMA on a wine cruise and while we had a wonderful time on the cruise itself, the itinerary was our least favorite. We did enjoy Koblenz and spent a night in Luxembourg on arrival, which we enjoyed, but the rest of the stops were just ok. That being said, the fall colors on the Moselle were beautiful.

We tried to book Enchanting Rhine for this year at Christmas, but it sells out very fast and we missed out.

Next year we are on the wine cruise with AMA in France and looking forward to a totally different experience. We are not fans of Paris, but these ports are appealing and we are wine fans. And we know firsthand how wonderful AMA's wine theme cruises are for wine lovers.:)

We will likely spend time in London before or after, rather than Barcelona or Marseille where the pre tours are, as we did not care for either of those cities in past visits enough to spend more time there. And we will spend a couple of days in Paris, as the friends we are going with have never been.

We too, just returned from the AMALyra, we were on the cruise following yours. Had a wonderful time, and am researching the possibilities for next year. We are leaning towards AMA "Enchanting Rhine" or "Rivers and Castles of the Rhine". Both look great. All depends on timing, and if we want to go next year, I think we need to get moving in making the reservations.

Anne

Hi Anne,

Glad you enjoyed your cruise on the AmaLyra.

I've been looking at both of those cruises, too.

You are right about moving quickly once a decision is made. I know the river cruises fill up quickly.

We did Vineyards of the Rhine and Mosel with AMA on a wine cruise and while we had a wonderful time on the cruise itself, the itinerary was our least favorite. We did enjoy Koblenz and spent a night in Luxembourg on arrival, which we enjoyed, but the rest of the stops were just ok. That being said, the fall colors on the Moselle were beautiful.

We tried to book Enchanting Rhine for this year at Christmas, but it sells out very fast and we missed out.

Next year we are on the wine cruise with AMA in France and looking forward to a totally different experience. We are not fans of Paris, but these ports are appealing and we are wine fans. And we know firsthand how wonderful AMA's wine theme cruises are for wine lovers.:)

We will likely spend time in London before or after, rather than Barcelona or Marseille where the pre tours are, as we did not care for either of those cities in past visits enough to spend more time there. And we will spend a couple of days in Paris, as the friends we are going with have never been.

Hi caviargal,

Thanks for your insights, I appreciate your response.

Due to our work schedules, we can only vacation in July or August. Someday when we retire we can do a Christmas cruise!

I know you have been very happy with AMA, and so were we. Have you ever cruised with Avalon?

Hi caviargal,

Thanks for your insights, I appreciate your response.

Due to our work schedules, we can only vacation in July or August. Someday when we retire we can do a Christmas cruise!

I know you have been very happy with AMA, and so were we. Have you ever cruised with Avalon?

We did 4 cruises with Avalon (one was B2B) before we discovered AMA. I have detailed reviews posted for all of them.

While we enjoyed our cruises with Avalon (except the last one which was on Panorama), for us AMA exceeded them in all aspects of the experience.

We did 4 cruises with Avalon (one was B2B) before we discovered AMA. I have detailed reviews posted for all of them.

While we enjoyed our cruises with Avalon (except the last one which was on Panorama), for us AMA exceeded them in all aspects of the experience.

caviargal,

I will look up your reviews. Thanks!

We are currently sailing on Viking Rinda on their Grand European itinerary..., sailing Danube

Rhine and Main. Will write review when I return. So far our first river cruise is wonderful, and we too, will be checking other river cruise itineraries. Viking has been wonderful.

We are currently sailing on Viking Rinda on their Grand European itinerary..., sailing Danube

Rhine and Main. Will write review when I return. So far our first river cruise is wonderful, and we too, will be checking other river cruise itineraries. Viking has been wonderful.

Have a wonderful time, glad you are enjoying your Viking experience.

The Amsterdam to Basel cruise looks wonderful. We've never been any cities in Switzerland and may plan on doing this cruise in the future.

Bobalink, I've really enjoyed your review of your AmaLyra cruise; and, have made several notes to use on our cruise next spring.

The Amsterdam to Basel cruise looks wonderful. We've never been any cities in Switzerland and may plan on doing this cruise in the future.

Bobalink, I've really enjoyed your review of your AmaLyra cruise; and, have made several notes to use on our cruise next spring.

They ALL look wonderful, don't they? Even the Africa Safari one looks amazing!

I keep thinking that I will write a "real" review but I just haven't done it yet.

Just a few minutes ago, I booked the Paris to Normandy cruise on the AmaLegro.

AMA sent me an email to announce the sale, and since I was just looking at that cruise last night, I took it as a "sign". ha ha

Looks like we're going to Paris in July 2014. Yipeee!!!! I'll tell DH when he gets home from work.:D

If you want to see beautiful flowers along with the normal scenery it will be hard to beat a Tulips and Windmills type river cruise in the Spring. Several of the river cruise lines offer this type of cruise. We enjoyed our Uniworld Tulips and Windmills cruise and would highly recommend it.

Archived