Trans Atlantic

SiBreeze

We were thinking of doing the Dec 1, 2014 TA - Rome to FLL on board the Ocean Princess. We have never sailed on the small ships. Would that be a rough ride that time of year and that directioon? Would a Grand Class ship be better for a TA? We have never had any sea sickness issues in over 25 cruises, but have never done a TA yet. Thanks for any light you can shed on this subject. :)

Well you would be sailing at the end of hurricane season so that is a good thing. The old R class ships do have stabilizers but many people have reported that they are not the smoothest riding ships in rougher weather. Sounds like you do not get sea sick easily so that's good. The larger ships do ride nicer and have more to do. Traveling to Europe in December could pose a problem with airfare and bad weather. It has happened in the past. If you take out insurance what do you have to loose. Have fun and let us know how it turns out when you get back. :)

We did the TA on the Crown last year and this year we are doing the TA on the Pacific. In 32-days, DH and I were never seasick. I will post when I get back from this year's cruise and let you know how we did.;) I think we will be fine though. I was on the original Pacific, sailing from Tahiti to San Pedro, and there was no problem (and we had waves that covered the portholes in the dining room).

We did the TA on the Crown last year and this year we are doing the TA on the Pacific. In 32-days, DH and I were never seasick. I will post when I get back from this year's cruise and let you know how we did.;) I think we will be fine though. I was on the original Pacific, sailing from Tahiti to San Pedro, and there was no problem (and we had waves that covered the portholes in the dining room).

Oh how I wish I had your cast iron stomach. If that was me on the old Pacific I would have been looking for Ralph. :)

I did ask the waiter to close the curtains, as I preferred not to watch just in case we were going down.:eek:

So, that was you! No seriously, we had a window table on our NZ to Sydney cruise and a lady in the middle of the dining room kept asking to have our curtains closed. When we had 4-5 m waves in the Tazman Sea she asked through our waiter again, this time we said "NO". The MD came over and asked us and we said "tell her to change seats, put her back to our window, and look at the inside wall decorations!" That was the end of that and we had our curtain open the rest of the voyage. The 4 of us changed seats each evening so each got the good window viewing.:p

So, that was you! No seriously, we had a window table on our NZ to Sydney cruise and a lady in the middle of the dining room kept asking to have our curtains closed. When we had 4-5 m waves in the Tazman Sea she asked through our waiter again, this time we said "NO". The MD came over and asked us and we said "tell her to change seats, put her back to our window, and look at the inside wall decorations!" That was the end of that and we had our curtain open the rest of the voyage. The 4 of us changed seats each evening so each got the good window viewing.:p

LOL, you are so funny.;) This was at lunch and I was sitting next to the porthole. I though the waves were going to crash through.:eek: I probably wouldn't have been so worried, except that on a prior cruise DH 1 had used a butter knife from the "always available fruit bowl" to open the porthole in our stateroom.:D

Archived