NCL Gem August 31, 2013 Sailing

SnootieTootie

NCL Gem Sailing August 31, 2013

Sailed out of Manhattan NYC

A little background. We are a couple in our fifties, married 38 years, and we live just north of Cincinnati, Ohio. NCL is our cruise line of choice, but we have also sailed on Carnival, RCL, Disney, and the Dolphin. We are Platinum level Latitudes members. This was our first sailing on the Gem.

We usually choose a balcony cabin, occasionally and inside room, and once a mini suite (big mistake). This year we chose a Penthouse Suite, Room 8632. It was a great deal, we'd had a hard year, so why not? Many, many cruises, but the first time in a suite!

Embarkation

We arrived at the port at approximately 10:30 am. Handed the luggage off to the porters and walked right inside. No chaos, no mass people, no worries. The first port agent that greeted us looked at our cruise ticket, and took us straight to a counter with no line to be checked in. We were checked in within five minutes and ushered to the Priority/VIP lounge. There were trays of cheese, sandwiches, coffee, cookies etc. We waited there for about 30 minutes and then a NCL rep began handing out key cards that were already prepared and waiting in envelopes with our names on the outside of the envelopes.

At 11:00, Carlos, the concierge came into the room and began greeting everyone individually, and said that we would be going aboard shortly. And we did! At 11:15 everyone in the lounge at that time was ushered by Carlos onboard, keys swiped, and straight to Cagney's for lunch.

What a wonderful way to start our cruise.

More later!!

Captain: Stefan Nordberg (on 10 weeks off 10 weeks)

Hotel Director: Mirsad Bucuk (leaving after our cruise)

Concierge: Carlos Zarate (just joined the Gem on our sailing but not new to NCL)

Butler: Fernando Orena (leaving the Gem to join a new ship my hubby thinks he said the Getaway)

Cabin Steward: Nestor

Initial Impressions:

Oh my gosh, there are kids.....so many kids! Our schools in Ohio started weeks ago. I guess I never gave it a thought that some schools in New York and New Jersey don't start until September 9. We were also unaware that it was a Nickelodeon cruise. No worries, we have grandchildren, and we happen to love kids. And, who doesn't think Sponge Bob is cute...right?

The ship was clean and well maintained. So far, so good, and we haven't even made it to our suite yet. :)

The Room Suite 8632: I have pictures if anyone wants them emailed.

At the very back of the ship, aft facing. Five rooms across the back, with the one in the middle being just a balcony, not a suite (at least that is what the occupant of that room told us)

We were a little concerned when we booked this room. The location is down from the Blue Lagoon and Moderno. Bliss and the Bowling Alley are just below on Deck 7. Never heard a sound any nights of the cruise. Very quiet.

Room decorated in hot pink, lime, aqua. Narrow entryway with closets on the left as you enter. The closets have double entry, and the make up area is on the other side of the closets. Flat screen tv, on the right hand side of the cabin. DVD player below, with a laminated list of movies available. I have a picture of that list if anyone wants it

Lavazza coffee machine, with a china cabinet above with many types of stemware, and coffees and teas. Small refrigerator and storage below the cabinet. Mini bar stocked, but quickly emptied into the empty cabinet space. Bed large and comfy. No pillow "menu" in sight. You must have to request it.

Nice beige sofa, small round table beside the sofa. Square table with three chairs had china plates, cloth napkins and silverware, and a Bowl of fresh fruit.

Two bottles of wine awaited us, one from the suite, and one from Latitudes. We don't drink so we gave them away. A nice medium sized fresh flower arrangement. Also, new to us was a box of Godiva chocolates wrapped in a gold ribbon. Not sure if it was from Latitudes or a suite amenity.

Very nice make up dressing area with stool, blow dryer, magnifying mirror, plugs, etc. Full length mirror. Bathroom: As you walk in straight ahead is the sink and mirror. On the left the toilet, on the right a tub/shower with sliding doors.

Elemis products:

Shower cap

Loofah type scrubber

Pure Zest cleansing soap

Pro Vitamin conditioner

Aromazing Shampoo

Instant Refreshing Gel

Vitamin Rich Body Lotion

Eyes Away Recovery Gel

Shampoo and Bath Gel Dispenser inside tub/shower

Robes in the closet. Cabin Steward brought spa type slippers later that night.

Butler Fernando:

What a joy is was. He was very eager to please us. The first afternoon he brought a plate of canapés. They are not something that we care for, so he wanted to know exactly what we do like, we gave him some suggestions, he wrote them down, and ever afternoon he delivered them around 4:00 pm. Pretzel rolls, chips, cheese, ice tea, cookies and milk. Our tastes are not to sophisticated. :)

I asked him for copies of the dining room menus which he provided. I have them if anyone has questions about the MDR menu's. Except for the room MDR menus and letting him know of our snack preferences, we didn't request anything further of him.

Fernando was right there every day. In the late morning he would enter the room after our cabin steward rechecking the cleaning, shining on things, restocking the coffees. In the afternoons he stopped by with the snacks, and wanted to know if we needed anything.

Two unexpected things he did for us. We ordered room service for breakfast one morning from the card that you hang on your door (full breakfast). He served it himself, setting the table etc. Wow, I think I love him ;)

Friday night was our anniversary, and we went out and returned to a beautiful anniversary cake in our cabin. How sweet!

Ahh Carlos, the kissing bandit. We've had him another ship (the Star or Pearl, can't remember which). Not as a suite guest, but as Platinum.

Carlos is very personable, and he has traded kissing the ladies cheeks for kissing the side of their heads. Husband just got a nice handshake.

We asked nothing of him on this cruise, but every time we met for priority porting, or debarkation, he couldn't have been nicer, even helped us off of the ship with our luggage.

The only slightly annoying thing is every time we were in a conversation with him (at the chocolate buffet and at his concierge desk situated just across from Cagney's) his phone would ring, and he would step away or take the call.

I will attempt to review the restaurants as time permits. The only restaurants we did not eat at were Magenta (MDR) and LaCucina. We have the menus for all, so if anyone has a question, I will see if I can locate the answers.

Our favorite was Cagneys. Our least favorite was Teppanyaki (sp?)

Ahh Carlos, the kissing bandit. We've had him another ship (the Star or Pearl, can't remember which). Not as a suite guest, but as Platinum.

Carlos is very personable, and he has traded kissing the ladies cheeks for kissing the side of their heads. Husband just got a nice handshake.

We asked nothing of him on this cruise, but every time we met for priority porting, or debarkation, he couldn't have been nicer, even helped us off of the ship with our luggage.

The only slightly annoying thing is every time we were in a conversation with him (at the chocolate buffet and at his concierge desk situated just across from Cagney's) his phone would ring, and he would step away or take the call.

I will attempt to review the restaurants as time permits. The only restaurants we did not eat at were Magenta (MDR) and LaCucina. We have the menus for all, so if anyone has a question, I will see if I can locate the answers.

Our favorite was Cagneys. Our least favorite was Teppanyaki (sp?)

Thanks for the report..!

We usually eat in the MDR for dinner...but want to try Moderno one night...! What was good at LaCucina ?...

JaJa, Lacunina and Magenta were the only two that we did not eat at. Several passengers told us that Lacucina wasn't very good, and not worth the upcharge. But the lady in the room next to us who happens to be Italian said she enjoyed it the most. She said Lacunina had the best Caesar salad she'd ever had.

I guess taste is subjective.

JaJa, Lacunina and Magenta were the only two that we did not eat at. Several passengers told us that Lacucina wasn't very good, and not worth the upcharge. But the lady in the room next to us who happens to be Italian said she enjoyed it the most. She said Lacunina had the best Caesar salad she'd ever had.

I guess taste is subjective.

DUH...I misread..re: LaCucina..:o---Need to keep my glasses on when posting..;)

Teppanyaki :rolleyes:

$25 cover charge

Most nights it was booked solid, especially 7:00-close

Consisted of 4 hibachi grills which seated 8 people each

Server was not good, never came back to refill our drinks.

We were seated with a family of six that could speak English, but chose not to. They ignored the cook, and it was a bit uncomfortable. The fellow that cooked our food identified himself as Brad Pitt. He tried to make jokes and entertain while he cooked but our tablemates remained stone faced.

The food was just ok, and I would not go back. My husband and I both ordered Land and Sea. The food had little to no salt and I am not normally a person that shakes on any additional salt. The dessert sounded interesting but it looked like mold on a plate. I really couldn't get past the visual, and only ate one bite.

First Course

Miso soup and Edamame

Main Course

Select your choice of one

All choices are served with garlic fried rice and Japanese Teppanyaki Vegetables with onion or mustard dipping sauces

Chicken Yakiudon-Hibachi Chicken and Udon noodles

Vegetable Yakiudon- Seasonal Vegetables, Udon noodles

Seafood- Lobster, Sea Scallops, Calamari

Filet Mignon- Beef Tenderloin

Vegetable- Teriyaki Tofu, Seasonable Vegetables

Sumurai- Chicken and Jumbo Shrimp

Land and Sea- Filet Mignon and Jumbo Shrimp (3)

Shogun- Steak and Chicken Breast

Shinto- Sea Scallops and Jumbo Shrimp

Dessert

Choose One:

Green Tea Cake- cashew nut brittle

Fresh Fruit Sashimi- selection of delicately sliced exotic fruits

Moderno Brazlian Steak House

$20 cover charge

Loved it!

New to us. Platinum passengers may exchange their Lebistro voucher for any other restaurant with a cover charge of $20 or less

Only negative is it is located on he other side of the Blue Lagoon in an open room. The atrium is below, and on the large screen the movie James Bond was playing. It was so loud we could not hear what our server was saying. It ended 30 minutes after our arrival thank goodness.

It is also a walk through for all of the guests that are in the aft of deck 8. They bring cheese bread to the table (little balls).

The salad bar was amazing, and the captain himself was filling a plate.

The concept is you help yourself to the soup and salad bar, and then they begin arriving tableside with skewers of meat, carved tableside. Not with just one type of meat, or choose two, one after another after another. You can pass on whatever you choose to pass on. When you are full, you flip over a card on your table from green to red.

Some of the meats:

Rib Lamb chops

Filet Mignon

Garlic Beef

Prime Sirloin

Chicken Breast wrapped in Bacon

Spanish Sausage

Beef Ribs

Pork ribs

Chicken leg

Portugese Sausage

Sides

Buttered Rice

Black Beans

Garlic mashed Potatoes

Fried sweet banana

Dessert

Coconut Flan

Rice pudding

Papaya Cream

$20 cover charge

Loved it!

New to us. Platinum passengers may exchange their Lebistro voucher for any other restaurant with a cover charge of $20 or less

Only negative is it is located on he other side of the Blue Lagoon in an open room. The atrium is below, and on the large screen the movie James Bond was playing. It was so loud we could not hear what our server was saying. It ended 30 minutes after our arrival thank goodness.

It is also a walk through for all of the guests that are in the aft of deck 8. They bring cheese bread to the table (little balls).

The concept is you help yourself to the soup and salad bar, and then they begin arriving tableside with skewers of meat, carved tableside. Not with just one type of meat, or choose two, one after another after another. You can pass on whatever you choose to pass on. When you are full, you flip over a card on your table from green to red.

Some of the meats:

Rib Lamb chops

Filet Mignon

Garlic Beef

Prime Sirloin

Spanish Sausage

Beef Ribs

Pork ribs

Chicken leg

Portugese Sausage

Sides

Buttered Rice

Black Beans

Garlic mashed Potatoes

Fried sweet banana

Dessert

Coconut Flan

Rice pudding

Papaya Cream

SOUNDS GOOD!...thanks for the details...

Main Dining Rooms

Grand Pacific (the dress up MDR)

Magenta (casual dress allowed)

We normally eat at 5:30 so we were usually the first to enter, and was seated at a table for two by the window.

We didn't eat at Maqenta at all. We dined at Grand Pacific several times for breakfast and dinner.

Breakfast service was excellent, but dinner service was sub par. The dinner servers spent a lot of time talking to each other instead of attending to the passengers. We asked or ice tea and after asking the second time, we got a "I'll bring it when I bring your soup".

The first night is lobster and steak night, and the food was VERY good.

On the right hand side of the menu are the Classic Selections which are available every night. On the left side, were "Tonight's Signature Specialties".

I have all of the menu's, but will only list the Classic Selections available every night. If anyone wants to know anything on the left, just ask.

Starters

Mexican Mushroom and cheese Tortilla Crisp

Smoked Salmon Tartare

NCL Signature Caesar Salad

Pork and Vegetable Spring Roll

Garden Fresh Salad

Classic Onion Soup

Entrees

Grilled New York Strip Steak

Braised lamb Shank

Rosemary Roasted Chicken

Broiled NCL Salmon Fillet

Penne Pasta w/ choice of Alfredo, Basil Pesto or Vegetable Primavera Sauce

Desserts

Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Cake

Ice Cream

Seasonal Fruit Plate

NCL Signature Cheesecake w/ strawberry compote

Warm bread and butter pudding

Sorbet

A sampling of cheese

$20 cover charge

Loved it!

Some of the meats:

Rib Lamb chops

Filet Mignon

Garlic Beef

Prime Sirloin

Spanish Sausage

Beef Ribs

Pork ribs

Chicken leg

Portugese Sausage

Sides

Buttered Rice

Black Beans

Garlic mashed Potatoes

Fried sweet banana

Dessert

Coconut Flan

Rice pudding

Papaya Cream

I don't see the grilled pineapple on your list?? It was fantastic!

Archived