El Cid or Park Royal for the day

flakids

We will be in port from 9 -5. Since we arrive at the International Port, I am looking at El Cid or Park Royal to spend the day. El Cid has a day pass for $17 or an all inclusive pass for $55. Have not heard back from Park Royal so I do not know any details. Please give me feedback on both facilities - pros and cons. thank you so much

We will be in port from 9 -5. Since we arrive at the International Port, I am looking at El Cid or Park Royal to spend the day. El Cid has a day pass for $17 or an all inclusive pass for $55. Have not heard back from Park Royal so I do not know any details. Please give me feedback on both facilities - pros and cons. thank you so much

If you use the search engine on this forum and put in each of these resorts you will find several reviews, especially for El Cid.

I haven't seen many reports recently for Park Royal but last time I asked for the rates at Park Royal ( 2012) it was $40 AI per adult ($20 for children over 12) from 11am - 6pm. We have looked round Park Royal but haven't actually bought a day pass as we decided our port day was too short on that occasion and went next door to El Cid on a PAYG. Not sure if El Cid do that now. We have also done the $17 pass which gives you $10 credit towards food and beverages, use of pool and WIFI.

The pools and facilities seem larger and nicer at Park Royal but we have always enjoyed the convenience and price at El Cid when we have been.

we met their for our excursion two years ago and it was also the place for the after excursion lunch....

1. there is no real beach...you are looking out at your cruise ship.....

2. extremely close to the port....its a quick 5 minute walk...

3. the pool was nice and plenty of shaded chairs to relax

4. the food was very good....

my biggest issue would be the lack of a beach and looking out at the cruise ships instead of the nice blue water...

Just spent the day @ ElCid on Magic cruise Aug 30. It was our fifth or sixth time there. We use Cozumel as our 'chill' port, but that still includes a lot of activities for minimal cost! I am sure we were charged $18 w/ $10 credit, but we probably have 'American tourist suckers' written all over! You think we would have gotten a discount for being repeat customers, & we might have if I would have just asked! But if you factor in no taxi expense, $8 (w/ food credit) that includes chairs, palapas, music from the DJ ( that thankfully wasn't too loud) pool, restrooms, showers etc...it just seems like a great deal for us!

We walked the couple of blocks from Carnival's pier. We played beach volleyball, snorkeled, I took a free diving lesson in the pool, laid out, ate delish food & had a couple of margaritas each - sooo good!

I am ready to do something different, tho, next cruise...we'll see! ( It all depends on Mitsugirly's next trip report...hmmm...will she really go to Passion Island...& will she enjoy it & recommend it?! Ahh...the suspense!! :D)

Just spent the day @ ElCid on Magic cruise Aug 30. We walked the couple of blocks from Carnival's pier. We played beach volleyball, snorkeled, I took a free diving lesson in the pool, laid out, ate delish food & had a couple of margaritas each - sooo good!

:D)

So how was the snorkeling, the cost of the margaritas and delish food was about what and what did you eat? So pp what was the days cost at the resort? So you would recommend ElCid to a first time visitor to Cozumel?

Thank you all for your replies. I would also be interested in knowing what your total out of pocket cost was.

I did hear back from Park Royal and the cost is still $40 for adults - with the time frame being 11 AM - 6 PM to include all food/drink and use of the facilities. (Internet is not included)

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you all for your replies. I would also be interested in knowing what your total out of pocket cost was.

I did hear back from Park Royal and the cost is still $40 for adults - with the time frame being 11 AM - 6 PM to include all food/drink and use of the facilities. (Internet is not included)

Love this thread, thanks for everyone's input. I think I've decided to try Park Royal for our October cruise. I read a bunch of reviews for both places on TripAdvisor and the photos for Park Royal look like what we want. I like that there is an actual (albeit small) beach at Park Royal and the pool areas look nicer than El Cid.

I did email Park Royal to see about using the facilities earlier than their 11am start time. We basically want to snorkel earlier in the day, so a chair is pretty much all we need. We have done the day pass at Sabor twice and they had no issue with us showing up early. Hopefully Park Royal is the same. Will report back if I hear from them ... or, at the least, after our cruise.

Love this thread, thanks for everyone's input. I think I've decided to try Park Royal for our October cruise. I read a bunch of reviews for both places on TripAdvisor and the photos for Park Royal look like what we want. I like that there is an actual (albeit small) beach at Park Royal and the pool areas look nicer than El Cid.

I did email Park Royal to see about using the facilities earlier than their 11am start time. We basically want to snorkel earlier in the day, so a chair is pretty much all we need. We have done the day pass at Sabor twice and they had no issue with us showing up early. Hopefully Park Royal is the same. Will report back if I hear from them ... or, at the least, after our cruise.

I was just looking into these two as well!! I was leaning to Park Royal as well. Would really love to hear back from you in regard to if they will let you get there earlier!!:D

Previous cruisers have reported that you can arrive early and buy day pass but that drinks and snacks are not available until posted time. You can search in the search engine of this forum for more reports. We have looked round the resort to visit in the future and I did ask if we were able to buy drinks earlier but they are not set up for cash sales unlike El Cid so everything is all-inclusive for guests at the hotel and you have to purchase a day pass to stay. You need to watch for time share people and be prepared to say "no" if you are not interested, although if you have time and are willing to sit through presentation you can get a discounted price.

The entrance and lobby to the hotel are on the opposite side of the road to the piers but there is a booth offering cheaper passes on the ocean side that I believe are timeshare reps. The beach is accessed via underpass from hotel and gardens which includes pool, more pools on beach side.

Edited by c-leg5

Previous cruisers have reported that you can arrive early and buy day pass but that drinks and snacks are not available until posted time. You can search in the search engine of this forum for more reports. We have looked round the resort to visit in the future and I did ask if we were able to buy drinks earlier but they are not set up for cash sales unlike El Cid so everything is all-inclusive for guests at the hotel and you have to purchase a day pass to stay. You need to watch for time share people and be prepared to say "no" if you are not interested, although if you have time and are willing to sit through presentation you can get a discounted price.

The entrance and lobby to the hotel are on the opposite side of the road to the piers but there is a booth offering cheaper passes on the ocean side that I believe are timeshare reps. The beach is accessed via underpass from hotel and gardens which includes pool, more pools on beach side.

Thanks! Good to know about the 'no cash sales' thing at Park Royal, that's not something I've not seen before. I think that'll be ok for us, we'll just eat on the ship. We always have a couple of granola bars and a bottle of water with us, so we will be good to wait until 11.

we met their for our excursion two years ago and it was also the place for the after excursion lunch....

1. there is no real beach...you are looking out at your cruise ship.....

2. extremely close to the port....its a quick 5 minute walk...

3. the pool was nice and plenty of shaded chairs to relax

4. the food was very good....

my biggest issue would be the lack of a beach and looking out at the cruise ships instead of the nice blue water...

We have done the Park Royal a couple of times. Pools and food/drink is great for $40. There is a small beach... you are looking at the ships but the water is blue. They also give you 1 hour of snorkel equipment. Lots of fish along the rocks... it was worth taking the time to get the equipment.

• 3 weeks later...

Just spent the day at Park Royal and loved it! $40, 3 pools with swim up bars, towels, jacuzzi (cold), lunch, snacks and unlimited drinks, snorkeling. Very peaceful and relaxing. Clean and pretty. http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/slideshow/AlbumID=12091532014/PictureID=660062410014/a=90843835_90843835/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Edited by gamaja

• 3 months later...
Where exactly do you go to buy the day passes? We are going in May and this looks just like what we are looking for.

Thanks so much in advance!

You buy the passes for both hotels in the lobby.

However I have been trying several times recently, without success, to obtain up to date pricing and options from Park Royal for our upcoming trip. Previously they have been very quick to respond so I am wondering if there is a change in management or policy.

Edited by c-leg5

I am running into the same thing with Park Royal. I've gotten responses from other places - but none from them. Doing more research (first time we have been to Cozumel) I am finding other AI resorts a short taxi ride away for same price as El Cid - and they have beautiful beaches.

If I hear back from Park Royal I will post.

I am running into the same thing with Park Royal. I've gotten responses from other places - but none from them. Doing more research (first time we have been to Cozumel) I am finding other AI resorts a short taxi ride away for same price as El Cid - and they have beautiful beaches.

If I hear back from Park Royal I will post.

Thanks let me know!

We have been to Cozumel many times and I have never had a problem getting a reply from Park Royal but I have tried a couple of addresses and no reply this time. I have not been there on a day pass but I have looked round.

I have been to El Cid several times as we find it convenient when we don't have long in port, or are looking for an easy day for a few hours. They have several prices depending on where you buy from and what you want to cover. We just go with the "pay-in-the-lobby budget" pass which I believe is now about $17/18 with $10 credit for food and drink. This covers use of facilities such as WI FI and pool, but not AI. If I wanted AI there are better places for less money.

Of course you also have to take into consideration taxi fare to most of them and that depends on how many in your party.

We spent the day at El Cid in January. It was less than a 10 minute walk from our Carnival ship. We were charged $20 pp with a $10 credit. We brought our tennis racquets and used the court, which was in good shape. We then got on our snorkeling gear and swam in the roped in area. We were very happy with the number of fish we saw. The hot tub was very inviting after that. We then sat at a table on the patio and ordered margaritas and guac. The waiter asked if we wanted regular or large margaritas. I ordered a regular, which was about $6.25 and my husband ordered the large for $9. His came in a giant margarita glass and mine came in a styrofoam cup! Really, a styrofoam cup?! It was a good margarita, though, and the guac was good. Then more snorkeling, more hot tub, AHH! There were plenty of lounge chairs and we had a great day for a reasonable price, considering no taxi was needed. I would definitely return!

• 4 months later...