Instead of a Nursing Home....

A good friend sent me this e-mail this morning....I had to share it with all of you!

No Nursing Home for Me

About 2 years ago my wife and I were on a cruise through the western Mediterranean aboard a Princess liner. At dinner we noticed an elderly lady

sitting alone along the rail of the grand stairway in the main dining room. I also noticed that all the staff, ships officers, waiters, busboys, etc., all seemed very familiar with this lady.

I asked our waiter who the lady was, expecting to be told that she owned the line, but he said he only knew that she had been on board for the last four cruises, back to back.

As we left the dining room one evening I caught her eye and stopped

to say hello. We chatted and I said, "I understand you've been on this ship

for the last four cruises". She replied, "Yes, that's true." I stated, "I don't understand" and she replied, without a pause, "It's cheaper than a nursing home".

So, there will be no nursing home in my future. When I get old and

feeble, I am going to get on a Princess Cruise Ship. The average cost for a nursing home is $200 per day. I have checked on reservations at Princess and I can get a long term discount and senior discount price of $135 per day. That leaves $65 a day for:

1. Gratuities which will only be $10 per day.

2. I will have as many as 10 meals a day if I can waddle to the restaurant, or I can have room service (which means I can have breakfast in bed every day of the week).

3. Princess has as many as three swimming pools, a workout room, free washers and dryers, and shows every night.

4. They have free toothpaste and razors, and free soap and shampoo.

5. They will even treat you like a customer, not a patient. An extra $5 worth of tips will have the entire staff scrambling to help you.

6. I will get to meet new people every 7 or 14 days.

7. T.V. broken? Light bulb need changing? Need to have the mattress replaced? No Problem! They will fix everything and apologize for your inconvenience.

8. Clean sheets and towels every day, and you don't even have to ask for them.

9. If you fall in the nursing home and break a hip you are on Medicare; if you fall and break a hip on the Princess ship they will upgrade you to a suite for the rest of your life.

Now hold on for the best! Do you want to see South America, the Panama Canal, Tahiti, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, or name where you want to go? Princess will have a ship ready to go. So don't look for me in a nursing home, just call shore to ship.

PS. And don't forget, when you die, they just dump you over the side at no charge.

That is WAY too funny!

I manage a Retirement Residence and have many residents that cruise every year. I have made a copy and posted it for all to see :)

Thanks for my morning chuckle!

Must be the 4th time this month that this "email" has been posted on CC, so it must be making the mail rounds again. The nursing home email was posted a few times last year also.

I still think it is a wonderful concept except that the "nursing" part would be risky. Too many things can go wrong with the elderly and the ships are not equipped to handle most emergencies. Therefore, passengers would need to make sure they buy the insurance each cruise segment (which could really add up) in the event they would need to be airlifted out.

It should be retirement home, not nursing home. Big difference.

celtic

Good Point Celtic!

Being in the industry for the past 15 years I can state quite honestly that there is a world of difference between Nursing Homes and Retirement Homes.

Nursing Homes are based on a "medical" model

Retirement Homes are based on a "social" model

A good friend sent me this e-mail this morning....I had to share it with all of you!

No Nursing Home for Me

About 2 years ago my wife and I were on a cruise through the western Mediterranean aboard a Princess liner. At dinner we noticed an elderly lady

sitting alone along the rail of the grand stairway in the main dining room. I also noticed that all the staff, ships officers, waiters, busboys, etc., all seemed very familiar with this lady.

I asked our waiter who the lady was, expecting to be told that she owned the line, but he said he only knew that she had been on board for the last four cruises, back to back.

As we left the dining room one evening I caught her eye and stopped

to say hello. We chatted and I said, "I understand you've been on this ship

for the last four cruises". She replied, "Yes, that's true." I stated, "I don't understand" and she replied, without a pause, "It's cheaper than a nursing home".

So, there will be no nursing home in my future. When I get old and

feeble, I am going to get on a Princess Cruise Ship. The average cost for a nursing home is $200 per day. I have checked on reservations at Princess and I can get a long term discount and senior discount price of $135 per day. That leaves $65 a day for:

1. Gratuities which will only be $10 per day.

2. I will have as many as 10 meals a day if I can waddle to the restaurant, or I can have room service (which means I can have breakfast in bed every day of the week).

3. Princess has as many as three swimming pools, a workout room, free washers and dryers, and shows every night.

4. They have free toothpaste and razors, and free soap and shampoo.

5. They will even treat you like a customer, not a patient. An extra $5 worth of tips will have the entire staff scrambling to help you.

6. I will get to meet new people every 7 or 14 days.

7. T.V. broken? Light bulb need changing? Need to have the mattress replaced? No Problem! They will fix everything and apologize for your inconvenience.

8. Clean sheets and towels every day, and you don't even have to ask for them.

9. If you fall in the nursing home and break a hip you are on Medicare; if you fall and break a hip on the Princess ship they will upgrade you to a suite for the rest of your life.

Now hold on for the best! Do you want to see South America, the Panama Canal, Tahiti, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, or name where you want to go? Princess will have a ship ready to go. So don't look for me in a nursing home, just call shore to ship.

PS. And don't forget, when you die, they just dump you over the side at no charge.

I would also think that a 7 day cruise is cheaper than visits to a shrink with a far better outcome. Pina Coladas are better than *****

But one is covered by medical insurance where the other is not!! :)

CKRobyn, what part of the industry do you work in? At the hospital pharmacy I manage we has 33 Acute care beds, 4 ICU, along with a 182 bed LTC with 28 Sub Acute beds. So I get to see both sides!

Agree that a "old folks" ship would be a retirement home, or at the most, an assisted living arrangement. Wonder if the Freedom Ship would have that? With as many people as it holds they would just about have to!

Jacquelyn :D

Archived