New Silversea Ship 'Silver Discoverer'?

Perfectionistcruiser

Very interesting! Saw it this morning on FaceBook! Never heard any talk at all.

Hi Duct tape - lots of talk about a new expedition ship coming when we were on the Explorer in March/April, and when we were on in August it was "we cant talk about that till September " !!!!!!!! :D

Ann (posting on Rons laptop !)

That is great news. I was on the Explorer in April/May and suspected as much but couldn't get a for sure answer. I have a special place in my heart for the ship and have done probably 10 cruises in 10 years starting with Intrav.

Last trip was this past December with Zegrahm down the coast of India to Sri Lanka and the Maldives. When we boarded the ship it was still encased in pirate-proof barbwire after leaving the east coast of Africa. They removed it while we sailed.

The itineraries were always amazing and I do have some left to do if the new cruises work. :)

I'm SO jealous and would love to sail along. Don't think I could handle getting in and out of the Zodiacs..even in what I imagine would be pretty peaceful seas in between all the small islands. Guess I'll just have to continue to be an armchair, CC, traveler.

The ship looks really nice, the itineraries are certainly different and fabulous..The first posts I always go to are from/about The Explorer. You can bet that I will be on full alert next winter.

Two words: Boo Hoo!

That is very funny, and you are partly right. I'm in an armchair traveler only when it comes to the adventure cruises. I'm game enough, love to sail, love SS, but those Zodiacs!

I did those zodiacs, it wasn't elegant and it wasn't tidy - think roly poly pudding in a tumble drier - but I did it and if I did, then anyone can. Get youself booked on one of the advenure ships CruisinPashmina - you wont regret it.

See you in Montreal

Rp

Just don't sit with one leg over the side. I did and ended up underneath the boat in a split second. We hit a wave (I was playing cowboy) and then I was gone.

They are also very good about helping you in and out of zodiacs. Friend of mine with one leg was able to negotiate it- not easy but done. I would not let the zodiacs stop you from booking.

What a story! Where we're you when this happened? I am still fixated on Drron's experience with freezing Arctic water blasting him as he recently straddled the space between the ship and the Zodiac. Thank goodness he didn't drop his camera! Hope that you were at least in warm(er) waters.

But here's my specific concern; I have two replacements in my hips, one of which was a gruesome revision...so two hips, three operations. I just CAN'T fall...don't have the time!

Must admit that the one legged friend anecdote is shaming me a bit. Good for him. I truly admire his determination and courage.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate hearing about any and all related experiences!

What a story! Where we're you when this happened? I am still fixated on Drron's experience with freezing Arctic water blasting him as he recently straddled the space between the ship and the Zodiac. Thank goodness he didn't drop his camera! Hope that you were at least in warm(er) waters.

But here's my specific concern; I have two replacements in my hips, one of which was a gruesome revision...so two hips, three operations. I just CAN'T fall...don't have the time!

Must admit that the one legged friend anecdote is shaming me a bit. Good for him. I truly admire his determination and courage.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate hearing about any and all related experiences!

yes it was warm water- Cabo in Mexico.

And my one legged friend is a woman- and we were both about 60. How long ago were your replacements? What would your doctor say?

Don't be afraid of the zodiacs. The crew takes such good care of everyone. I have done at least 50 group excursions on zodiacs and never seen an injury. I have seen 80+ year olds handle it with no problem. I recently had a hip replaced and the only concern I have for my next cruise with zodiacs and snorkeling is climbing straight up the ladder out of the ocean. The doctor said that is a forever "no no". If I have to, I think I will just get someone to push me from behind. :)

Quite possible you may get wet though. Best place to sit is towards the back of the zodiac if it is rough and you could even "huddle" behind someone else.

If anyone is particularly interested in snorkeling - the best place I have ever experienced is Raja Ampat, Indonesia off of New Guinea.

I am concerned about the zodiacs as well. I also have physical issues. i will let you know how it goes. As far as Ron's experience, at least in Indonesia the water is warm!

Duct Tape - you will be fine - don't worry about the zodiacs. In March/April we had a 90 year old on board and she was able to get in and out. There is always 2 staff on the landing to get you into and out of the zodiac, they are very experienced, they tell you when to move, and there is always one staff in boat they hand you on to. Ron got wet because the sea was rough - and he had to wait till they told him to move. As long as you do as you are told and listen to the instructions everything runs smoothly !! And you are right the water will be warm where you are going and you wont be wearing all that keep warm and dry layers ! The only reason I didn't do any zodiac trip this cruise was the fact that I #T12 5 weeks before we left home !

Ann (posting on Rons laptop - currently in Nagoya) :)

OK, Susan, Ron and Ann, it's Ann O. the Queen of Klutz! Please let me reassure you that entering and exiting the zodiacs are effortless! The crew and Staff(as usual) are patient/gentle/and ever mindfull of your safety. In fact, I tend to worry more about them getting hurt than me. I do feel a bit more at ease when in tropical waters as a polar plunge won't be on the agenda! Susan, let's plan on being on the same zodiac for the first few days and the Queen of Klutes will show you the ropes! I promise you a GREAT time. See what you are missing Ann! Love to all, ANN O

5waldos, 1st hip 13 years ago. Still okay. 2nd done 6 years ago. It lasted only about 3 and 1/2 years. Revision was done 2 years ago. Without them I would never have been able to travel as much as we want. Actually, knowing what lousy health can take away, we have been taking at least 4 major trips every year. Many of our friends think we are a bit crazy...I think we are very lucky.

Louise22, Got a big laugh out of the ladder problem. I hadn't even thought about that. Amazing that I hadn't remembered all the times I've had to have a charming push up into vans and busses!

So, back to tracking all my adventurous CC friends from my armchair..unless I'm away cruising the world with Silversea.

On the explorer in June we had a massively obese man who was able to get in and out of the zodiacs( albeit not like a ballet dancer)

As well as plenty of us older folks and a guy who walked with two canes

I can say the only scary event was the young child on a zodiac in rough seas who screamed the entire time.

The crew is adept at getting you on and off, they are very skilled. I wouldn't let this stand in your way.

It's an adventure not to be missed!

When is everyone going?

Archived