Carnival photographers

cruising mickey

We cruised Carnival last year. My partner and I were treated no differently than anyone else.....after all we pay the same price for pictures as everyone else. We ended up buying a lot of pictures. We were also treated great by housekeeping and the wait staff. We met a special bar maid that we did most of our business with. Have fun!

We cruised Carnival last year. My partner and I were treated no differently than anyone else.....after all we pay the same price for pictures as everyone else. We ended up buying a lot of pictures. We were also treated great by housekeeping and the wait staff. We met a special bar maid that we did most of our business with. Have fun!

I completely agree with the statement above.

We had two different photographers take a bunch of photos on our Legend cruise during formal night. The great thing is that you only pay for what you like and don't have to pay for the sitting. I've heard that the photographer gets a small cut out of what is bought, so they have every reason to be as nice as they can be, and to make sure the pictures come out great.

One thing you may have to worry about is other cruisers... we made sure we went early before there were a lot of crowds. Even though we've never had a problem with other cruisers, we didn't want to create a scene while having the pictures taken.

Agree have been on 10 Carnival cruises and have next experienced any discrimination. Last time (in Feb) our arrived and our beds were separated we asked the to have them put together as a king and quickly got our service request with a smile.

Enjoy your cruise.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am a photographer, so I have very few photos of myself and my partner together. When we started cruising we made that our thing. I budget $100.00 just to spend on photos, and have been known to blow my budget. So for the last 5 years we have pictires of us. The last cruise we went on we asked the photographers for something different than the standard. Some just didn't know what do to that was different, and others were exceptional. (Just like land photographers.) we had one lady photographer take off her tie give it to my partner to put on and had me look like I wasa dragging her around by it. It's fun and one of my favorites.

I don't particularly care if I'm making the other guests uncomfortable by taking the same family photos they are standing in line to take, so I go when it's convenient for us, (not necessarily early as the previous poster said). We would get some stares occasionally, but I figure the more visibility we have in doing normal family type things the sooner acceptance will come.

So the key on gay photographs on the ship: first that they are a good photographer, that they will pose you appropriately (like a couple) and they speak your language well enough to understand any special instructions. I have run into a few that I think it was more of a language barrier than a gay discrimination.

• 1 month later...
Just wondering if the photographers aboard Carnival treat same sex couples differently when it comes to taking their pictures as a couple.

Any and all insights will be greatly appreciated.

Other than the occasional awkwardness of being mistaken for brothers (we look nothing alike), we've never had a problem.

We were on a Princess cruise and had couple shots taken and the photographers were great. Some sparked with us a bit more than others but that is life. At one place on formal night when the crew of photogs staffed 6(?) sites, we had a great lady taking picts and 3 nicely drunk Spanish ladies giving encouragement. In fact they were suggesting poses and places for hands which I was not about to do in a public place. LOL.

I am not saying you will not have trouble, but I suspect as a business the photos make so much money you are just one more possible sale to make smile. Have fun.

I completely agree with the statement above.

We had two different photographers take a bunch of photos on our Legend cruise during formal night. The great thing is that you only pay for what you like and don't have to pay for the sitting. I've heard that the photographer gets a small cut out of what is bought, so they have every reason to be as nice as they can be, and to make sure the pictures come out great.

One thing you may have to worry about is other cruisers... we made sure we went early before there were a lot of crowds. Even though we've never had a problem with other cruisers, we didn't want to create a scene while having the pictures taken.

We've cruised Cunard several times & never had issues. i don't care about other pax & their problems(again, never had a problem)The cruiseline WILL deal with problematic pax quite quickly, frequently booting them off at the next port!

This is something I think my wife and I were concerned about. We live in the South and are used to getting funny looks and being denied service. We're normal looking girls, one slightly more masculine than the other but we still get snotty people from time to time.

We're going on our first Carnival cruise in two weeks. I'm feeling encouraged!

This is something I think my wife and I were concerned about. We live in the South and are used to getting funny looks and being denied service. We're normal looking girls, one slightly more masculine than the other but we still get snotty people from time to time.

Welcome to the south. I think at times they are still living in the 19th century while the rest of the country has moved on to the 21st century.

The Carnival photographers can be rather pushy in my limited experience on their ships. The Carnival as a whole though seems to be very open minded.

I was a little apprehensive about this when we took our first cruise last January on the Breeze. We ended up having a great experience with all of the photographers. They will ask about your relationship just so they know how to have you pose. One photographer was absolutely fantastic...I remember him asking "brothers or lovers?" with a wink and a smile. He made such an impression on us that we made sure to find him each night!

Several points…

I've had photogs just ask us, "are you friends or a couple?" and never batted an eye, posed us appropriately. One said something about "your son…" and when we naturally corrected him, he just as naturally proceeded. The lesson: we acted naturally and unaffected, and so did he.

We've had a photog who clearly didn't know what he was doing posing two men, so we good-naturedly joked with him and hammed it up… he laughed, probably was relieved, and everything went well.

So if we act uncomfortable then they will be uncomfortable. They can't know if we are embarrassed or closeted, or out and proud… so it can't be easy for them either. But from what I have heard about what goes on below decks… none of them are surprised or uncomfortable being around gays or lesbians.

I even asked one which bar was the best bar to visit if I wanted to meet someone cute like him, and he told me. :p He was there too! Other than eye-contact and a nod, nothing further transpired… he had his friends, and I wasn't going to troll the place all night… but it was a nice, friendly exchange. We waved to each other throughout the cruise.

I put together gay group cruises on the Mexican Riviera and have been onboard with 40-60 gay men… never a problem with photogs or anyone else.

They get bonuses based upon how many of their photos are purchased, so have your photos taken frequently and buy from the one who pleases you most!

I've had what I would consider curious looks from passengers… but they were respectful and nothing more than 'curious.' I understand. But you know, I remember Harvey Milk's admonition… "they don't hate us if they know us." A cruise is a great place to let them know us.

Cheese!

We have never had a problem with Carnival. The photographers are usually very open minded and friendly. All of Carnival's employees have been wonderful.

We live in Texas...so I understand the fear of the southern mentality. Some people down here are about 40 years behind the times. We have three teenage sons between us and are very open with our relationship and who we are. We are your typical adult couple/family...we are not into heavy PDA, but we will hold hands occasionally when walking by the lake or I will give her a quick kiss goodbye. The more we hide who we are, the longer it will take people to understand that we are regular people in a regular relationship. We don't throw our sexuality in peoples faces...but we don't hide who we are.

Out and Proud!

The more we hide who we are, the longer it will take people to understand that we are regular people in a regular relationship. We don't throw our sexuality in peoples faces...but we don't hide who we are.

Bravo… well put!

my wife and i went on our first cruise (carnival legend) in 2012 and really didn't know what to expect with photographers. we only had one photographer who treated us equally. we always found her for pics. once we returned home we wrote to john heald at carnival and explained how comfortable the woman made us and how other photographers could learn so much from her. this summer we went on our second cruise (carnival miracle) and wow what a difference. all the photographers were great. i doubt it was from our one complaint but we were very happy!! we are going on our third cruise in a few weeks and can't wait for more pics!!!

My husband and I completed 4 day out of Long Beach in Oct . On the elegant night I made him dress up in something better than jeans and a polo shirt. We did two different scenes. Both photographers did a great job, totally professional and never once felt uncomfortable.

• 1 month later...

If you like the photos, purchase them quickly! I have seen people take photos of same-sex couples down from the gallery display and throw them in the shred bin. "These aren't family friendly!" one will often defend themselves.

Sigh. I'd sure rather my kids (19 and 21) realize that there's room in our world for all kinds of families... and find happiness in whichever combination brings them joy.

It is incredibly unfortunate that some other passengers discriminate. I am both southern and straight. That does not make me stupid, bigoted or hateful. I hate that there seems to be an overabundance of narrow-minded people populating the south, but there are prejudice people and bigots in all areas of our country.

That said, I would never take down a couple's photographs and say they were not "family friendly." That is just disrespectful. What defines a family? Not for me to decide. There are plenty of '"traditional" families who have far more dysfunction. I have also seen people photographed in some clothing that is not particularly "family friendly." I don't take their photographs down either. Not for me to do.

You are a paying passenger. I am a paying passenger. Neither of us should get more or less than the other- unless the price of your cabin entitles you to extra benefits.

Just enjoy your cruise. Enjoy your photos. My thought about the photographers? They are there to capture the whole experience- whatever that may be. Gay. Straight. Big families. Small families. Singles. Groups. Pretty people. Not so pretty people.

If you like the photos, purchase them quickly! I have seen people take photos of same-sex couples down from the gallery display and throw them in the shred bin. "These aren't family friendly!" one will often defend themselves.

Sigh. I'd sure rather my kids (19 and 21) realize that there's room in our world for all kinds of families... and find happiness in whichever combination brings them joy.

Boy, if I ever saw that, I'd be in their face so quick & get security involved as well!

I personally have never been on a cruise where the photographers didnt know how to handle a gay couple. All of ours from the cruises we have been on has made our pictures amazing.

As far as people taking down pictures I would probably punch some one in the face and be put in the "brig"

I personally have never been on a cruise where the photographers didnt know how to handle a gay couple. All of ours from the cruises we have been on has made our pictures amazing.

As far as people taking down pictures I would probably punch some one in the face and be put in the "brig"

I'd probably be joining you!