Aug 28th 10 day sailing review

Tiki_Man

Ok, here we go. Time for the review. The plan is to do a day by day (similar to an earlier review) and that way if you get bored you can just skip ahead or pass it completely. I will try to add some photo's along the way and then add the link to our Shutterfly if I can get the no password required to work.

Background. My wife (Mary) and I (Mark) celebrated our 25th anniversary on Sept 3rd and we had always talked about going to Tahiti if we could make it work with family and work. As luck would have it, the Aug 28th sailing fit our work schedules rather well and our DD was headed back to college at the same time as when we would be leaving so we decided to pull the trigger and book the Paul Gauguin for 10 days. I am 52 and love to scuba dive. Mary just turned 47 and loves to be on the water. We both truly enjoy cruises (this was number 34 for us together - mostly larger ships like Celebrity in the Caribbean). We are from Atlanta and decided not to spend extra days in the islands. With the help of wonderful neighbors that have been on several PG cruises we used their Travel Agent and she was very helpful.

We booked a D level cabin (#613) and used PG air for the LAX to PPT legs of the trip. We used our Delta FF miles for the flights from ATL to LAX and back. We prepaid for the laundry package, booked a few of the PG sponsored excursions and then through CC we were able to learn about several private operators and made reservations in advance.

DAY ONE - travel. We booked the 9:40 am flight from ATL to LAX and upgraded to first class. This was the nicest plane and seats of the entire trip, too bad they were on the front end when we were still excited and fresh. Boeing 777 with the pod laydown seats. Great flight. Kudo's to Delta as we were able to check our luggage (3 bags) all the way to PPT which eliminated having to claim our bags in LAX and carry them to the International terminal. We arrived in LAX early, about 10:45 am. Unable to park the plane at the Delta terminal but ended up not too far away. We walk over to the International terminal (weather was nice, would not want to do that in the rain or a really hot day). We were told that the Air Tahiti Nui desk would not open until about noon, however there was an earlier flight to Paris and the desk was open when we arrived about 11:30 am. No wait, we just walked up to check in. I must say the lady at the desk was not very friendly (later Mary said "did you not notice that she was pregnant???" so all is forgiven). We did have to pay $75.00 for our 3rd bag of checked luggage but they never weighed our carryon's. Asked about upgrade but it was $925 per person. We decided we could tough it out and stay with our coach seats and save the money (hindsight is 20/20).

We proceed up to the "relax" lounge and use our Priority Pass for access. This was GREAT. Nice quiet room with real LazyBoy loungers. Wine and Beer plus nice snacks. We had a 4:30 departure so we stayed there for a couple of hours and met another couple going on the cruise. About 2:30 we head through security, no problems, so we decide to access the Korean Sky lounge inside security using our Platinum AMEX. This was a much smaller room, no chairs available and the beverage offerings were poor. We did not stay long and just went to the gate. About 3:45 they started loading the plane. We looked around and thought it would be half empty, but then as we went down the jetway, the previous passengers from Paris were in a separate waiting room and they were boarding - COMPLETELY full with lots of small children (wait, can I go back and buy those upgrades PLEASE).

The ATN plane was the Moorea, refurbished. It was very nice and clean. We had 2 seats next to the window and it would have been much better if not for the 5 year old boy directly in back of Mary that would kick or punch the back of her seat for about 6 hours (he did sleep for 2 hours). We continued to decide to power through and not sleep to help get on track with island time. Lets just say it was a VERY long 8 hours but we knew what to expect.

We arrive about 30 minutes early and from this point on the process went VERY well. We exited down the stairs (no jetway in PPT), made our way to Customs and luckily the long line was for European passengers (all the France folks). Only 2 couples ahead of us at customs so that went very fast (they even stamped our passports - YAY). Walked over to luggage and maybe because we had First Class stickers from our Delta flight our bags were one of the first on the carousel. We walk back through the airport lobby and a nice young man is there to hand us flowers and lei's and walks us to a nice air-conditioned bus. Everything is going perfect until I lean over to pick up the last bag and my back CATCHES. Not sure if it was the 8 hours of flying or just bad luck but I am now in pain. However NOTHING is going to ruin the vacation (and I know I have ibuprofen in my carryon). I get on the bus looking like the oldest person on the earth but we have seats and smiles on our faces. Everyone is very tired so not much conversation, just anticipation.

Short ride on the bus to the I.C. resort. They are very organized, we check in and YAY we have an overwater bungalow. In less than 5 minutes a bellman with his little truck has us loaded in the back and away we go to the room. We end up with room 510. The very end of the walkway for the lagoon OWB's. It is perfect. No need to unpack since we leave again in the morning so we look around the room, wash off the "travel" feeling and are lights out by midnight Tahiti time (6 am in Atlanta).

Overall not too bad. We got up about 6 am in Atlanta and 24 hours later we are in our OWB in Tahiti.

Now lets see if I can post a couple of pictures.

Mary on the Delta flight

>[img]P8270008.JPG

On the bus to I.C.

P8270010.JPG

The luggage buggy

P8270011.JPG

OWB

P8280012.JPG

Mark

Ok, going to try another shot at uploading pic's

1234776_411803295588351_900264642_n.jpg

The view from our bungalow

Ok, this seems to work, but these pictures are in facebook and not all the ones that I wanted to share with CC (my friends could care less about pictures of the dayroom at the I.C. and things like that).

I have a shared Shutterfly album now set up but don't know how to link it yet.

In the meantime, enjoy the lovely Mrs Mary's toes as she looked out on Moorea our first morning. :)

Ok, some more photos

PG representative at the airport

1069209_412337705534910_1670334157_n.jpg

On the transfer bus to the I.C.

1184984_412337905534890_2076463127_n.jpg

The luggage buggy, you sit in the back

554559_412338072201540_244995042_n.jpg

Finally at our room

998309_412338395534841_304054074_n.jpg

Your embedded picures have just the file names. You need the full URL for the picture. With Shutterfly, I believe you can publish the entire album or link individual pictures. Both are a bit cumbersome on Shuterfly in my opinion.

You may want to try flickr to see if that's easier to use.

I realize that this is actually becoming more of a narrative than a true "review" but wanted to share all the fun things. Also, took the hint and have written the "day by day" in MS Word so that I can edit a bit and then paste the entire days log.

And with that - Day 2

Day 2 – Welcome Aboard Day. This was probably the most important day of the cruise just due to the logistics and “to do” items on our list. This will also most likely be the longest “day review” . I must preface this by saying if you are lucky enough to get to stay at the I.C. for your pre-cruise night be prepared for a little “thunder” just before midnight. We had just started to fall asleep and we heard this loud rumble. The airport runway is literally just beyond the I.C. property and the sound of the Air Tahiti jet taking off at 11:59 was loud, but we were so tired is was not a problem just unexpected.

We woke up early of course, and so excited to have the OWB that we did not want to miss a minute. Mary fiddled around with the coffee maker and finally got it to work so that we could have 2 small cups of very weak java on the porch (restaurant was not open yet). We saw the sun rise and jumped in the water (trying not to wake up any neighbors). We were like kids in a candy store. Beautiful view of Moorea and we were the end unit so we could swim straight out in very deep water, about 15 feet deep off our porch. Finally it is time for the restaurant to open so a quick change and we are off to eat (something we did a LOT of during the next 10 days  ). It is quite a walk from the lagoon bungalows to the main part of the hotel. We took some pictures along the way and we were the 2nd couple at the buffet. It has Open air seating with wonderful views, really nice selections (very French) and very friendly staff. Our first thought was to have a big breakfast and skip lunch (did not happen), and since the breakfast was included we enjoyed lots of items, especially the fruit.

After breakfast we did a quick walk around the pool and inside lagoon area then back to the room for more swimming. Shortly after we were back sitting on our dock platform another swimmer from a close by OWB swam over and started chatting with us. Turns out she was also going on the PG (in fact, every room from 501 to 511 were PG passengers we would later discover). This was the beginning of the most remarkable aspect of the entire cruise – the friendliness and compatibility of the fellow passengers. I can honestly say that we had so much fun interacting with our fellow passengers all cruise long. Someone later mentioned it was like “Summer Camp” for adults.

Checkout time was 10:30 or 11 am (I forget) but we knew they had changing rooms before we had to meet at 2:30 pm so we just packed our bags and put them by the front door and the valets would come by to pick them up. As we are leaving our room, we stopped to speak to the couple in the OWB next door – turns out they were also from Atlanta and we had been chatting with them on our Roll Call prior to the cruise – truly wonderful couple (hey Bill and Pat). We head over to the main pool area, find 2 lounge chairs with an umbrella and relax until it is time to take the transfer to the ship. Of course about 1 pm I am getting hungry. We eat a small lunch at the restaurant (expensive but tasty), then about 2 pm we ask for a changing room. There are 4 of them, with a 30 minute time limit. Nice sized room with a separate shower and plenty of towels. Our main luggage was already gone to the ship so we only had our carryon (make sure you have what you need for a shower and change). We then went back to the lobby and just waited with lots of other couples all going to the PG. We were on the second bus (and kind of glad because the first bus was packed, ours only had about 10 couples). We are finally on our way to the ship. Coming from the airport at 11 pm you don’t see much but this transfer takes about 25 minutes due to traffic, right into downtown (thank goodness for the transfer buses).

We arrive at the pier and here things get a little “rushed”. Irina the hostess comes onto the bus to greet, passes out the “I am not sick” card and then we drive up to the main gangway. We are wisked away, take a quick come aboard picture, up the gangway, straight to the Grand Salon, given a glass of champagne, barely sit down and then asked to go check in at a long table but no line, given our room keys and off again to our room, led by a room attendant. This whole process took only 10 minutes, I honestly never had a chance to even sip my champagne (not that I am complaining, just very different from main line cruise check-in). This is one thing that I wish we had just slowed down a bit to take in the process. It was the only time I felt hurried by the staff.

WaLa (you will hear that a lot), we are at our cabin, #613. We had a Balcony room, Cat D and plenty nice for our needs. First thing we notice is a wonderful spread on our side table with a bottle of wine, chocolate covered strawberries and a chocolate cake that had Happy Anniversary in icing on top – nice touch. Lots of storage space, several small spaces were never used the entire cruise. His and hers closets which is a great idea. Our luggage is already in the room waiting for us. We decide to wait to unpack and go do some “housekeeping”. Of course the first stop is the “Dive Shop” to sign up for diving. On deck 4 in main lobby they have a small table set up for the Marina staff. Clement and Regus are there to answer questions and sign in the divers. {Side note for divers, PG website talks about requiring 50 plus lifetime dives and 10 dives in the current year to dive at Rangiroa and Fakarava – that is NOT what really happens – although I wish it had}. I sign up for 2nd Bora Bora day, Rangiroa 2 tank and Fakarava 2 tank, then Moorea 1st day (lots of diving). While I am doing this Mary is at the Shore Excursion desk making plans for our non-diving excursions (we had a plan and we were sticking to it). Then we are off to make dinner reservations in La Veranda. We do make 7:00 pm reservations for our actual anniversary.

Originally we were to have a Muster Drill at 5:00 pm and then meet our CC Roll Call right after. Due to 40% of the passengers arriving on the late Air Tahiti flight that would not arrive until 10 pm they decided to skip the Muster Drill for this day and do the drill the next afternoon in Huahine. No big deal, it just allowed us to start doing our favorite part of the cruise – head to the POOL BAR for a cocktail. This was the “next” best part of the cruise – the staff. We walk up to the bar and Jerome the bartender asks for our order and also our name. For the next 10 days he and the rest of the bar staff ALWAYS greeted us as Mr. Mark or Mrs. Mary. They are fantastic. Of course I make the mistake of correcting Jerome on the first order (I asked for 2 limes with my vodka tonic and he put 2 yellow looking wedges in the glass). I politely ask for limes and he just laughed and said “these are Tahitian limes, just yellow in color”. I apologize and from that point forward I always had 2 “yellow limes” in my cocktail.

Some folks walked into town since we would not be leaving until after midnight but we decided to unpack and start to get ready for dinner. We head to the piano bar about 6:30, meet with Bill and Pat from Atlanta and after cocktails (yes, they already knew me from upstairs that I wanted 2 yellow limes) we head to dinner together. Lovely dinner in L’etoille but now we are starting to run out of gas. We knew we had an early excursion the next day so instead of tripping the light fantastic with more wine and dancing, we act like old married folks and are lights out by 10 pm.

Fantastic but long first day, the overall experience is fantastic and we are ready to set sail.

Of course the first stop is the “Dive Shop” to sign up for diving. On deck 4 in main lobby they have a small table set up for the Marina staff. Clement and Regus are there to answer questions and sign in the divers. {Side note for divers, PG website talks about requiring 50 plus lifetime dives and 10 dives in the current year to dive at Rangiroa and Fakarava – that is NOT what really happens – although I wish it had}. I sign up for 2nd Bora Bora day, Rangiroa 2 tank and Fakarava 2 tank, then Moorea 1st day (lots of diving).

Tiki Man.... are we required to bring our dive logs for proof to be able to dive Fakarava and Rangiroa? Just want to make sure I pack them if needed.

Of course the first stop is the “Dive Shop” to sign up for diving. On deck 4 in main lobby they have a small table set up for the Marina staff. Clement and Regus are there to answer questions and sign in the divers. {Side note for divers, PG website talks about requiring 50 plus lifetime dives and 10 dives in the current year to dive at Rangiroa and Fakarava – that is NOT what really happens – although I wish it had}. I sign up for 2nd Bora Bora day, Rangiroa 2 tank and Fakarava 2 tank, then Moorea 1st day (lots of diving).

Tiki Man.... are we required to bring our dive logs for proof to be able to dive Fakarava and Rangiroa? Just want to make sure I pack them if needed.

Bring them just in case but here is what actually happened. I filled out all the forms beforehand and was fully ready to be told I could not dive the Fakarava and Rangiroa since I only had 1 dive in Feb of this year. Also, we moved last year and my dive log is packed away in some box, inside a box, inside a crate somewhere, so no log for me.

I sit down with the dive guys (they are VERY nice) and ask what I can dive. They said do a Bora Bora dive so that they can get an idea of skill level (no problem, I love that), but they said I should be able to do all the dives I wanted.

Bora Bora dive was great, first dive is outside the pass, the profile was 80 ft for about 45 mintues on a coral reef ledge. 2 groups of 5 each, all in the zodiac from the ship. Really easy set up area, lots of space and the ride out to the site is easy. We stay down 52 minutes and my group of 5 was very nice and all about the same skill level. Second dive was inside the cut, 40 feet of water and was the Manta Ray dive - AWESOME. Different group of 5 this time with different DM but same set up as before - gear up on the platform, ride the zodiac and then stay down as long as possible to watch the Manta's. They were literally inches away from us but we were STERNLY told NOT TO TOUCH. We did hang onto the coral edge and the Manta's would just glide over us. 6 Manta's in all.

The other dive group was not as lucky. A very inexperienced diver (female) that needed her hand held the entire dive. They also ended up not making it back to the zodiac before they came up. Made it tough on the Dive Staff. I would have thought for sure she would not dive anymore - well guess what - she dove in Fakarava ???????????????????

Next day in Rangiroa is even more bizarre. Most of the same folks set to dive, but this time we don't use the marina, we board zodiacs from a private operator on the side platforms and told "only bring what you need" no bag for hats or water or extras (seemed a bit tough but no worries). My group of 5 is 3 from the previous day (all good divers with same skill level), 1 guy who had not been yet but was a good diver and then "that guy". You can imagine. He is bragging the whole time out that he has 100's of dives, lives in South Florida but will be obidient and follow directions - NOT!!!

We go out the pass (which is really cool) to a ledge area about 80 ft but the drop off is REAL deep. Everybody in the pool except "that guy". Finally in and he is a mess. Shoots down 20 feet deeper than everyone, then once we are settled he shoots to the surface - the DM (not from the ship) just shakes his head and goes to get him. Brings him back and sure enough Mr Lloyd Bridges is back too deep again, only this time as he comes back he is now almost out of air (and we have only been in for 12 minutes). He buddy breathes with the DM the rest of the dive - YIKES.

We finish at about 45 minutes and this zodiac has NO ladder. The driver has to haul us up (think big fat seals being hauled aboard for slaughter). We head back, not to the ship but to the dive shop ashore for new tanks. I am sure they are going to make Aquaman stay onshore, but no, here we go again. He PROMISES to do better - well you guessed it, same thing happens again. The second dive was awesome however. We had a female dolphin and calf follow us around and she actually came over to us, went vertical and let us pet her and rub her belly. Then I gently grabbed her dorsal and she pulled me around - INCREDIBLE - all of this at 60 ft. Unfortunately, Lloyd Bridges again sucks all his air and is on the DM's secondary after 15 minutes.

I must also note that there was another zodiac from the ashore dive shop that had more folks, maybe 12 in all, from the ship and they had ladders and a cover and much better. Also (this may be sexist but I will say it), all the female divers got to go on that nicer boat. Not saying it is always that way but don't be worried about diving Rangiroa although don't expect to "shoot the pass", it is difficult and they don't let cruise ship passengers do that anymore (although the 3 of us on our little zodiac were begging to do it).

When we get back to the ship, the DM is yelling at the PG Dive staff in a language we could not understand (thank goodness).

Anyway - that is long way of saying, they will let just about anyone with a C Card get wet. This really hurt my wife's feelings because she is a very good diver but thought the restrictions would be too tough and did not want to hold back any group so she did not dive at all. I promise you she is a better diver than half the folks that got wet.

Now, from a positive side, the divers did make our own little group and would compare dives and photos everyday. They even do a meeting on the last day to give out written profiles of each dive and share pictures.

Overall the dive experience was INCREDIBLE and I would do it all again. You will have a great time, but the dives are not as tough as the sound and the restrictions from PG are no where close to why it is presented online.

If you want more detailed info about diving feel free to email me at Tikijud (at) gmail dot com

Cheers

Day 3 – Huahine. During the night my back starts to give me some real problems. I am eating Ibuprofen like mints but will not be discouraged. The ship is sailing and there is a little bit of movement but we both have pretty good “sea legs” so no issue at all. Of course I wake up at 5 am and can’t get back to sleep so I go and sit on the balcony. It is absolutely amazing because I get to watch the sun rise. The sky is this light pink just off the stern and I have a perfect angle to watch the first peek over the horizon. Ok, my back feels better and it’s going to be a great day.

Mary is now awake and we decide to take the advice of past CC folks and find the secret forward balcony on Deck 8 to watch the sail into Huahine. Turns out it is much easier to access from Deck 9 down the stairs but we find the “do not enter” doors and through the looking glass we go. Turns out we are not alone, but with another couple and being quiet as church mice to not disturb the folks in the owner suites. The view is amazing and wonderful breeze.

As would be the theme – I am now hungry. Off to breakfast in La Veranda. We ask for an outside table and later find out we picked well as the Captain and First Officer come in just after the anchor had been set and sit down at the table next to us. We chat for a bit and he is very engaging. Now back to our rooms to get ready for the day with Marc’s Motu adventure.

First glitch in the cruise happens. Our room attendant (will not use her name) is very sweet and lovely but not on her “A” game this cruise. The night before final turndown service we had asked her for towels to take ashore for our excursion, also Mary asked for a 3rd bath towel and mentioned that we had the Laundry package and would like to send out clothes this next morning so we needed a laundry bag. Well, unfortunately the attendant went 0 for 3 in her first at bat. We needed to be on shore at 9:00 am and I am calling Guest services and trying to track down the attendant to get towels and a laundry bag. I get the towels but alas our stinky clothes will have to wait another day.

We make the second tender with ease, arrive at the pier and Marc is there with a sign and his boat ready for the tour. About 12 of us in an outrigger boat with a row of seats on each side, no forward facing. We are all starting to get to know one another and nothing like being stuck in a boat for 6 hours to break the ice with other passengers. Armando our guide is a local and a joy of a guide. We ride out to a Pearl farm in the lagoon area, they drop us off for about 30 minutes (it is a small house literally in the middle of the lagoon only accessible by boat), while Armando take the boat to go get our lunch. Next a short ride to a snorkel area. Drift snorkel where they drop you in the water and then follow behind with the boat. There are lots of small tropical fish and very easy swimming/snorkeling along the way. Then back in the boat for a short ride over to the motu. Here they have a nice set up of a grill area and tables with a nice sandy beach. We get our first beer and enjoy a demonstration from Armando about opening a coconut. Lunch is then served, both grilled fish and a poisson cru that is very good. We are now fast friends with everyone on the tour. Back in the boat we begin a rather long cruise around the top side of the island. Finally we reach an area for more snorkeling but it is actually a shark feeding observation. Unfortunately I did not pay close attention to Armando telling us to stay on the outside of the rope and on the underwater platform. Sure enough I am first in the water and pay no attention and suddenly about 2 feet away for the guide that is feeding the sharks (small black tips that really won’t hurt you anyway). He gives me a VERY stern look and points to get the other side of the rope (this is a harbinger to future events where I don’t always follow the instructions of our guides – oops). Back across the rope but now I try to pet the sharks – ANOTHER stern lashing from the guide and the lovely Mrs. Mary basically grabs my hands and holds them on the rope. Finally we are done and back in the boat after the sharks are all full. We then head to shore and Marc is there to greet us and put us in small 4x4’s where we sit in the back for the ride back to the ships tender pier. We are the last folks back on the last tender but a very fun day.

Now for the Muster Drill, a very simple process where you proceed to 1 or 4 muster stations outside on Deck 5 I believe. It takes about 15 minutes total mainly due to saying everything in 2 languages, English and French. Once that is complete is it back to the Pool Bar. Honestly, before I can walk from the door to the bar, Jerome is already pouring Mary a glass of Chardonnay and is working on my Tonic with 2 limes – amazing. We enjoy the sail-away and decide to have a larger group for dinner, 8 of us from the tour. It is also the Captain Meet and Greet prior to dinner. Everyone meets in the Grand Salon to take a picture with the Captain and then a few words from Steve the Cruise Director and then a mad rush to dinner. I guess it was just the luck of draw or that everyone showed up at one time but this was our most disappointing meal experience. It was literally a 3 hour meal. We sat down just before 7 pm and finally pushed away at 10:05. The service was just painfully slow. No one ordered more than 3 courses and still we could not get our food. If it would not have been just downright rude I would have left the table earlier. It took more than 45 minutes for our waiter to serve the main course after salads. Also, there was an issue with wine but we finally got that resolved. Very disappointing but our guess is that everyone showed up at one time and the kitchen could not keep up with the orders. Other tables seemed fine and were out in about 1.5 hours which was typical the rest of the cruise.

This kind of put a slight down turn to a wonderful day but still we had a great tour and now that we have a good feel for how the meals will work we decide to plan better for future dining experiences. Also when we get back to the cabin we finally have the extra towels and the laundry package bag so all is good. Next day – the amazing island of Bora Bora (my favorite).

More pictures up soon.

Day 3 – Bora Bora (first day). My back is feeling a bit better and we are sleeping later which is a good thing. This morning the ship arrives in Bora Bora (that is just so neat to say). The ship gently glides through the pass in the reef to an anchor spot deep in the lagoon area. Today is Reef Discovery excursion with Pure Snorkeling and we are both excited. We decide to try a quick and simple breakfast, so up to Le Grill. Must say, it was a bit of a madhouse up there. It felt crowded, no tables and too many folks just standing around in the way so my lovely wife suggests that we try the simple breakfast back at La Pallete – a wonderful idea. Each morning on the back of the ship they open a very simple breakfast area (you cannot order hot food) that is similar to a hotel buffet. This worked perfect for us when we had an early excursion. All we wanted was yogurt, granola and some fruit with our coffee. WaLa, it hit the spot and only 1 other couple back there so no crowded feeling.

We want the first tender at 8:30 so about 8:15 we head down to deck 3 to wait for them to open the doors to the tender. When we asked where to wait the Guest Relations Manager suggested maybe at a couple of chairs on deck 3, well these became known as the “timeout” chairs. It was truly 2 small wooden fold up chairs right beside the elevator and always seemed to be in the way. During the cruise folks would make fun of each other over who got the “timeout” chairs. Doors to the tender open promptly at 8:25 and off we go.

Reef Discovery may have been the most fantastic excursion that we did together. Fabian was our guide and he outstanding. It is a small (24 ft) bowrider boat that seats 8 plus the guide. 4 of us sat up front and 4 sat in the back under the shade cover. Very comfortable and it goes very fast. We were informed it would be 4 snorkeling stops on this excursion. The first stop is outside the reef in open water. On the way Fabian is saying to watch for whales. 2 days before a large male Humpback was right in the area playing around. No whales this time but great snorkeling. We tie up to a buoy, and Fabian leads us to some reef canyons areas. The water is quite deep so not a lot of sea life that we can see but a couple of black tip sharks follow us around. There is a swim through at about 15 feet that of course once Fabian went through I had to also. Water was a bit brisk but refreshing. Back to the boat and we are off to be inside the reef and much more shallow water. Next stop is in only about 6 feet of water and just a couple of very small coral heads the size of a dining room table, HOWEVER, they are full of aneome’s and Clownfish (think Nemo). There is a bit of a current which the fish enjoy but it is amazing to be so close with such cute fish. Back on the boat after maybe 20 minutes and now off to the best snorkel of the entire cruise – the Manta Rays.

A bit of Background – I have a Bucket list item of swimming in the open with Manta Rays. I even told our DD that I am not coming home until I see the Manta Rays. Fabian gives a pretty stern briefing prior to getting in the water. Basically the main message is DO NOT TOUCH or CHASE the Manta Rays if we see them. Ok, so everyone on the boat is immediately looking at ME. Like an 8 year old boy I bite my lip and say “yes sir, I will not chase or touch the Manta Rays”. Into the water we go and honestly within 30 seconds we see our first Manta at about 30 feet deep. It is KILLING ME but I stay at the surface and just follow from above. Then we see another 2 Manta’s coming the other way, then 3 more including one that has a broken horn. I am taking as many pictures as possible and continue to drift above them. They get as close as about 15 feet and are simply amazing creatures. I am actually giggling in the water. This is better than Christmas to me, to finally swim in the open with Manta Rays – check one item off the Bucket List. The Rays basically swim in an oval of maybe a few hundred yards, just back and forth. I could have stayed there all day but finally Fabian says we have to go. Once back on the boat I say something like “that was the best thing I have EVER done” and the look I get from the lovely Mrs. Mary quickly brings a qualification “except for marrying you Dear” (quick recovery). On to our last snorkel stop at a place called the Lagoonarium. It is very shallow, only about 10 feet and a very healthy reef area and plenty of fish. Fabian gives us each a piece of French bread and when you squeeze it under the water the small tropical fish gather like moths to a light. We find a Stone Fish, a seahorse and plenty of other South Pacific tropical that are very different from Caribbean fish.

After a wonderful adventure with Fabian and swimming with the Manta’s it finally time to head back to the ship. We head up to Le Grill for lunch and I get my first Cheeseburger/HotDog combo while everyone else is trying more exotic cuisine. We decide to sit by the pool and just relax and right on cue Albert and Mark, the pool stewards are headed our way. It is too early for wine or cocktails so just a beer for us because later that evening is the Wedding Renewal Ceremony. Also, while we were having lunch in Le Grill, Edward the head waiter comes over to Mary and asks if we would like a table that would be “outdoor” dining tonight. It is almost too good to be true.

At 5:00 pm we have made ourselves much more presentable and head to La Pallete for the Wedding Renewal Ceremony. I won’t give away many of the details other than it is really nice and a treat. Our actual 25th would not be for 2 more days but it was very special for both of us. After the ceremony we go to Le Grille for dinner and they have tables set up around the pool deck, under the stars, in the shadows of the mountains of Bora Bora and the most engaging waiters serving us a fantastic meal. As we are getting ready to order dessert, Edward and a couple other waiters come over to our table and actually sing “Won’t you be my sweetheart” to Mary. Everyone was singing along and having a grand time. Perfect ending to a wonderful day. (Yes, once again we are the old married folks and don’t go to the show – although with our cabin we can hear the show through the floor – but again, not enough to cause any worries.)

I'm loving your TR's! In Huahine, do you know anyone who did A Day at the Beach at Maitai Lapita Village Hotel that's offered as an excursion on our cruise in March? If so, were they happy with their choice? We've booked Reef Discovery, so I was happy hear that it was one of the highlights of your trip.

Looking forward to more pictures! Thank you for taking the time to share.

Your a blessed Tiki_man .............. your BH is a hottie ;)

I never get tired of that view of Moorea from the IC Tahiti .........

Yes, and she looks very happy:D Clearly, you made the right call with an FP anniversary trip!

I'm loving your photos, takes me right back! We also enjoyed Le Verandah for breakfast and lunch, once we discovered those outdoor tables you couldn't get us out of there! Can't wait for the rest of your review!

Day 4 – Bora Bora 2nd Day.

When we got up that morning and walked out on the balcony we looked at each other and said "we are in Bora FRICKING Bora" Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sorry, had to add that in there, it was just so unreal for both of us).

This is the day for my first scuba diving of the trip. Mary, although certified and a very good diver, has decided to skip diving on this trip. She had decided to “take the day off” and enjoy a Spa Day (she should have tried the diving). We received a coupon as an anniversary gift for a spa package. Mary decided to give it a try. I can’t remember the exact details but lets just say it was not that great of an experience and she actually had a pinch in her shoulder after the massage. This was not her favorite day of the trip.

My experience that day was quite different. The diving operation on the PG is first class. I go down a bit early to get gear and the dive staff is there ready to help. Wetsuits (3 mil shorties) were only 2 weeks old. Regulators were also just a couple of weeks old and in great condition. They separated us into 2 groups for the first dive, 5 passengers each with a Dive Master. Our group was wonderful, a lovely lady from New Zealand, a gentleman from Australia, a young man from England, an American my age and myself – great group and very typical of the rest of the dives. Both groups ride in 1 zodiac off the Marina platform (which was so nice to have plenty of room to get ready for the dive) to a dive site outside the reef. Brief profile from the DM and each group is in the water and having fun. Plenty of sharks, large tuna, lots and lots of nice size tropical fish such as Parrots, Queen Angels, Triggerfish, Moorish Idols, etc ., for everyone to enjoy. Nice easy dive and then back to the ship for the surface interval. This was such a pleasure so that you did not have sit in a boat and just bob up and down for an hour.

Second dive was going to hopefully be the Manta Rays. By this point I am already bragging that I have seen the Manta’s and have showed my pictures. Slightly different group this time but my group got along get and everyone was a very strong diver. We go to the exact same spot as Fabian had taken us the day before and WaLa, there are my old buddies the Manta’s (at this point I am starting to give them names and exchange emails with them). Our DM had given the same strict rules of not touching the Manta’s (they have a mucus membrane on their skin that oil from human hands can rub off and cause an infection supposedly). The current is much stronger today, so we get into this channel in the coral (which is very oddly shaped) and take hold gently to stay in one place and the Manta’s just circle next to us, literally within inches. You can actually look them in the eye if you are not blowing bubbles. This goes on for almost 45 minutes, and then back to the zodiac. The other group had a slightly different encounter due to a less experienced diver in that group but oh well, we had a blast.

Back to ship and of course it has now become 10 Manta’s almost 15 feet across (instead of the reality of the same 6 and maybe 10 ft. across – but you know how Men will be when talking about fish). I meet up with Mary for lunch and I am blabbing on and on about the Manta’s and she is trying to be happy but has not had a great day. Hmmm, what shall we do – let’s go Black Pearl shopping . We go ashore to look around and also to go to Bloody Mary’s bar. This turns out to be a bit of a disappointment. At the pier there are no taxi’s and we both have this fear that we will be stranded at the Bar and watch the ship sail away because we can’t find a ride back to the tenders. We finally find a taxi, try to get her to stay and wait for us at Bloody Mary’s, but no will do. We walk around the Bar (very underwhelming), I buy a hat, we find a taxi after a bit of a wait and we are back, safe and sound at the pier. We try to do a bit of shopping and Mary finds some nice pearls but nothing “special”. So we hop on the tender and decide the only thing that will make the afternoon better is Albert saying – “are you ready for your Chardonnay Mrs. Mary?” So up to the Pool Bar and after cocktails in hand for sail-away, all is better again.

Dinner that night was in La Veranda, just a table for 2, very relaxing and the service was very good. We did try to stay up for the show but after about 15 minutes we were bored (honest I can’t even remember what it was) and decided to call it a day.

I'm loving your TR's! In Huahine, do you know anyone who did A Day at the Beach at Maitai Lapita Village Hotel that's offered as an excursion on our cruise in March? If so, were they happy with their choice? We've booked Reef Discovery, so I was happy hear that it was one of the highlights of your trip.

Looking forward to more pictures! Thank you for taking the time to share.

In Huahine, the only hotels and real beaches are on the other side of the island. There are buses that take folks back and forth and several people did go over there to have a "Beach" day. Most said is was fun but the resorts are nothing like those on Bora Bora, Moorea or Tahiti. The beach is also much smaller but I am sure you will have a great time, it is a beautiful island.

Reef Discovery was AWESOME. If you can get Fabian he is great (ask him about the guy that wanted to free dive with the Manta's :) ). He did an excellent job of making sure everyone was having a good time and each person did things at their own level and pace. Excellent tour.

Have a great time.

Archived