Making the DR more contemporary??

cruzn buckeye

When are these changes supposed to take effect? We're looking for a cruise to book for our DS's Christmas gift. He'll be 22 at the time of cruising, & we're looking at lines we think he would prefer not necessarily what DH & I prefer. CCL has made the short list only because we all enjoy dressing up for formal nights. To us, that's the one thing CCL has over NCL. It appears to be a more traditional cruise line. If they do away with formal nights, we will eliminate them from consideration. We'll go with NCL or RCCL which appear to have better entertainment on their newer ships. It would be nice to know what changes will be made before we book.

For those who don't understand why cruisers won't be comfortable dressing up if they do away with formals nights, I like to dress nice on occasion for my DH not to draw the attention of everyone on the ship. Those who are considered overdressed & those who are underdressed stand out like a sore thumb. On a fairly recent Princess cruise we felt overdressed. We saw many people pointing at us & whispering to each other. I don't know if they were saying nice or negative things. In the end it doesn't matter. Many of us would rather enjoy the night w/o drawing so much attention. It shouldn't be that difficult to understand.

Cruise #1 we ate in the MDR as much as we could, had a great waiter.

Cruise #2, ate in the MDR 1/2 the time, dancing waiters, long meals and food which was just so-so, made us frequent the buffet more.

Cruise #3 , 3 meals in 7 days in the MDR ( one being breakfast). Waiter we think could only say "Wad you wan" while pointing at menu. All 3 times we asked for something like steak sauce or tabasco...never did they come...felt like we had others on our lap with tight seating, Getting a refill of milk for my daughter just never happened, I did flag down other waiters who said they would tell ours...never happened.

Dining out experience was just not what we were getting. We got out to a restaurant here at home about once a month, I find the wait staff at these restaurants much more helpful.

So we have had our share of MDR time, we are leaving it for others. Just doesn't live up to our expectations. As my wife just hollered out from another room in the house "would it have hurt our last waiter to atleast say hello and smile once during our 3 meals".

Sorry Carnival's MDR has become a painful thing for us atleast.

Cruise #1 we ate in the MDR as much as we could, had a great waiter.

Cruise #2, ate in the MDR 1/2 the time, dancing waiters, long meals and food which was just so-so, made us frequent the buffet more.

Cruise #3 , 3 meals in 7 days in the MDR ( one being breakfast). Waiter we think could only say "Wad you wan" while pointing at menu. All 3 times we asked for something like steak sauce or tabasco...never did they come...felt like we had others on our lap with tight seating, Getting a refill of milk for my daughter just never happened, I did flag down other waiters who said they would tell ours...never happened.

Dining out experience was just not what we were getting. We got out to a restaurant here at home about once a month, I find the wait staff at these restaurants much more helpful.

So we have had our share of MDR time, we are leaving it for others. Just doesn't live up to our expectations. As my wife just hollered out from another room in the house "would it have hurt our last waiter to atleast say hello and smile once during our 3 meals".

Sorry Carnival's MDR has become a painful thing for us atleast.

Wow, very different from our experience on our 10 Carnival cruises. Only dissatisfied with our MDR servers twice.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Carnival seems to be missing out on a very important revenue source in the MDR by not having a bar dedicated there. It takes a VERY long time to get someone to take a drink order and even longer to get the drink, let alone a second.

Again, very different from our experience. They have deficated bar servers in the MDR. Only a couple of times have we had problems getting prompt bar service in the MDR.

Again, very different from our experience. They have deficated bar servers in the MDR. Only a couple of times have we had problems getting prompt bar service in the MDR.

I think you might have a typo in there! We've had mixed experiences with the bar waiters. On some cruises they are there right away, on others I've had to ask to have them come over. Didn't ruin anything, but it wasn't always the best either.

I think you might have a typo in there! We've had mixed experiences with the bar waiters. On some cruises they are there right away, on others I've had to ask to have them come over. Didn't ruin anything, but it wasn't always the best either.

OMG! LOL I will try to edit, but think its too late! Darn iphone! LoL

Best post in years!!! If it hadn't been pointed out, I'd have missed it!!:D

Archived