caribbean vs mediterranean

karen327

We have been on 5 different NCL Caribbean cruises in the past few years, going east, west and south, 3 on the Pearl and 2 on the sun. We will be going on our first Mediterranean cruise next year in April, 10 days on the Jade to Italy, Greece and Turkey. Can anyone tell me how this will compare to our cruises in the Caribbean? Will the food and entertainment be similar? Will people dress up more? Any other differences?

We've been on 2 Med cruised and 1 Baltic with NCL. More port intensive and I think all in all more casual. Usually there is an entree in the dining room reflecting the area we are cruising in or the port, nightly. There are some ports where local entertainment boards and provides that night's entertainment, these are usually good. Much less Americans on some of them. We prefer the European cruises as they offer more sightseeing and a more diverse clientele. Caribbean is more for relaxing. That being said, we are on the 14 day Repo this fall from Boston to Tampa, and will be on the 10 day eastern Med cruise that stops in Istanbul overnight in April. I am sure we will have fun on both and so will you!

As lanceholt pointed out, the Caribbean is for relaxing...beaches, shopping, etc. But the Mediterranean.....oh, my....we've done many Caribbean cruises (I'll be going again in 38 days)...the Mediterranean is amazing...and exhausting. The experience of standing in the Coliseum...the Basilica...Pompeii...ancient Ephesus...the Pantheon, the Amalfi Coast...awesome and inspiring. You are in for such a wonderful and unforgettable vacation. Have fun planning your cruise!!!!:D

maryann

As lanceholt pointed out, the Caribbean is for relaxing...beaches, shopping, etc. But the Mediterranean.....oh, my....we've done many Caribbean cruises (I'll be going again in 38 days)...the Mediterranean is amazing...and exhausting. The experience of standing in the Coliseum...the Basilica...Pompeii...ancient Ephesus...the Pantheon, the Amalfi Coast...awesome and inspiring. You are in for such a wonderful and unforgettable vacation. Have fun planning your cruise!!!!:D

maryann

DITTO~! We spent two weeks on the Jade to the Med after numerous Caribbean cruises. It is a very different port intensive experience and very easy to get exhausted.

Do your port planning well in advance, make arrangements with tour guides outside of NCL

and you will have a much better, cheaper and rewarding onshore experience.

The secret to enjoying your Med experience is knowing you cannot see it all and that you are allowed to return! For example, we spent the entire day at the Vatican in Rome, used NCL's bus in/out of Rome and then were able to spend the day on our own. People who rush around all day miss the enjoyment of really seeing the most important thing or two or three and end up less exhausted.

Please see my non-review from July, especially #3 about the diversity of passengers - I've seen many similar observations and opinions here regarding (mostly Southern) European passengers:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1886911

While is bothers me a little that NCL won't enforce their own rules because passenges are ignorant, that was still one of best cruises I've taken and we are in process of planning a new one from Venice with a different itinerary for next June. :)

We have done one 14 day Caribbean cruise and four European cruises (3 MED).

The Caribbean is a fun place, but it just doesn't compare to the Med. The ports in the Med have so much history it will blow you away.

Being able to visit ports like Venice (like no city in the World) that offer so much to see, sometimes it is frustrating that you cannot see everything in one day.

The Caribbean generally offers great beaches, snorkeling with perhaps a nature tour, etc. While in the Med, you have a chance to see sites like the Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Cathedral, the Coliseum, Pompeii, Amalfi Coast, Parthenon, Knossos, Delos, etc.

There are usually more Europeans on a Med cruise, but that is not a problem.

We have been on 5 different NCL Caribbean cruises in the past few years, going east, west and south, 3 on the Pearl and 2 on the sun. We will be going on our first Mediterranean cruise next year in April, 10 days on the Jade to Italy, Greece and Turkey. Can anyone tell me how this will compare to our cruises in the Caribbean? Will the food and entertainment be similar? Will people dress up more? Any other differences?
You will do more walking when you do a European Med cruise,as compared to the Carribbean which is beaches and more laid back.Europe is all history no matter what port your in.You'll need your most compfortable footware when siteseeing.In the Carrib.you just need flipflops.

We've been on 2 Med cruised and 1 Baltic with NCL. More port intensive and I think all in all more casual. Usually there is an entree in the dining room reflecting the area we are cruising in or the port, nightly. There are some ports where local entertainment boards and provides that night's entertainment, these are usually good. Much less Americans on some of them. We prefer the European cruises as they offer more sightseeing and a more diverse clientele. Caribbean is more for relaxing. That being said, we are on the 14 day Repo this fall from Boston to Tampa, and will be on the 10 day eastern Med cruise that stops in Istanbul overnight in April. I am sure we will have fun on both and so will you!

We will be on that 10 day Jade cruise in April. Are you going to be on the first or second April sailing with that itenery? We will be on the first

Archived