Self-debarkation

Reese88

I don't believe you sign up

You just don't put out your luggage the night before. Early in the morning you make sure you are ready to go when they announce self disembarkation, be prepared to carry your own luggage.

There will be no elevators available. As the porters will be transfering the other passengers luggage to the warehouse.

I have never tried self disembarkation, personally I rush to get on the ship, I cannot see rushing to get off the ship.....

I just wanna take my sweet ole time...

:)

We used self debarkation in 2003, and it was great for us. We were driving to Orlando after our cruise, so we liked being able to get a little earlier start. No, you do not have to sign up. Yes, you will have to carry your own luggage, but most luggage has wheels so it no big deal. They will call people down by deck, just like getting off the ship any other way. There will be elevators available if you want or need to use them. We used one when we were leaving the ship. It might take a minute or two, but you can get one. We walked off the ship and right out the terminal. It was very quick and easy. This cruise we will be doing a Miami excursion, so we don't know if we will be able to use it this time or not.

there is no sign-up, you have to meet in a certain place on the ship(they will let you know where) and you have to carry your own luggage off(you have to have your bags with you, do not put them out the night before)

YES, but a LOT more people are doing it these days. It's not the easy breeze it was when it was first introduced.

I will be thinking a new strategy next time I cruise. Being NY, I need to get my car out of that pier as early as possible.

YES, but a LOT more people are doing it these days. It's not the easy breeze it was when it was first introduced.

I will be thinking a new strategy next time I cruise. Being NY, I need to get my car out of that pier as early as possible.

Aha, that's where I have it over you... being NYC, I just jump on the subway:o

Exactomundo, Pete.

First time I did it on the GLORY almost 2 years ago, it was a piece of cake. I was almost alone, thought I had misheard the instructions. Walked (rolled actually) right off with 2 bags, asked once if I was an American citizen, and gone. :)

Last Fall in NYC getting off the LEGEND it was pure chaos. Everybody and their brother and all their kids, as well, were pulling a bag and carrying one. Jammed elevators to the point paxs couldn't even get out of the elevators. Atrium Bar was a disaster. Couldn't move anywhere. Mini almost-fights were starting everywhere. Took nearly an hour to get off using "self debarkation" ! :(

I think I did learn some new words, however, from those always illustrative and colorful New Yorkers (all hyphenated, of course). :D

We used the self-assist disembarkation in May, Legend- NYC and it was great! They made and announcement at 9:15 AM and said to wait a bit before proceeding to the atrium and they will make a final call before starting the regular disembarkation.

Being the neurotic NYers we are, we left the cabin and made it on the elevator on the 2nd attempt. Well, the Atrium bar was filled and the line to get off went to the back of the ship. We waited with the luggage halfway down the line, and DS and GF went to the end of the line with 1 suitcase (total disaster they said) and we jumped in with them when they reached us.

We brought the luggage to the curb, my husband got the car, and we left the pier at 10 AM and home by 11 AM. In the past, we waited and were lucky if we were off the ship by 11:30 AM and in the car by noon, with the people and traffic usually horrible.

BTW, 4 ships were in that day and it was the Sunday of memorial day and Fleet week !!! Other NYC cruise veterans, who used regular disembarkation later on, said in their posts it was one of the worst ...

I wouldn't take a pinwheel into a subway, not to mention luggage. :rolleyes:

Hey Pete,

For a five nighter, Mrs. Yogimax and I take the subway midday on Monday and return Saturday morning. Usually no crowds. Sure beats the Manhattan traffic and parking fees!

I hear ya. But I can't imagine dragging my luggage down those stairs, and back up them.....IN THE SUMMER:eek:

I did it once in London, with MrsPete and MommyPete, and it wasn't pretty.

I don't even know if I can find my old station in Bedford Park just to catch the D train, and then figure out all my connections, and still be 4 LONG blocks away from the pier.:eek: :)

Last week on the Conquest, we had self-debarkation. It was great!!! They still collected the luggage the night before - and then had it in the terminal sorted according to tag color. You still had to look a bit, but it didn't take us long. On the ship, they let the VIP guests off first, of course, and then around 9 started asking people to slowly make their way downstairs to get off. We planned to wait a bit, but when we looked down, the line wasn't too long and was moving quite briskly - we were off the ship and on our shuttle to Macchu Picchu by 9:45. I thought it worked great.

Deb

Archived