Carnival Excursion Policies

Magic City Cruiser

I'd like to take a self guided tour Merida tour through Carnival. However, since it's "self guided", what happens if our bus breaks down or we can't make it back to the ship on time for some other reason. Will they call us, wait for us...what? I know I've always hear they will wait for you if it's a Carnival Excursion but since it's not a "tour" per se, how does this work?

If it is booked through Carnival, they should wait in case there is a delay. I say 'should' since I have heard that in some instances they cannot wait, but will pay for you to catch up with the ship. I have seen the ship wait many times for a late excursion.

Once my sister broke her ankle on a Carnival excursion and was taken to the hospital in Cozumel. The ship waited in port for her to return an extra 45 minutes. Everything was paid for too!

Although it costs a little more, we always book through Carnivel. We had some tablemates get left in Jamaica because their private tour bus had a flat tire. I f you have ever been to Montego Bay the traffic going back to the ship is horrendous. Most private tours are very reliable but occasionally accidents happen. Our tablemates had to get transportation to Grand Cayman, our next port of call. For peace of mind we book Carnival. Have a great trip.

Thanks, but again, this isn't so much an "excurson" as a "drop you off in Merida and you make sure you get back on a bus and to the ship before the ship leaves" kinda deal. So, say the last bus breaks down...this is just a bus...not tied to this particular excursion. Is there a Carnival person on the last bus or on all the buses? How do they know the bus broke down or you missed the bus and took a taxi? And, what if the taxi breaks down? Are they gonna pay to get me to Coz to catch up with the boat, get me home, what? I know the deal about "excursions" and waiting but this seems a bit hard to control as far as Carnival and keeping up with you.

I once booked a Carnival excursion and they gave us a taxi voucher to take a cab to our tour and a voucher to get back. It was a Carnival tour, but it was up to us to get the cab back. If we were not back, I doubt they would have waited since it was our responsibility to get back, but who knows.

Thanks, but again, this isn't so much an "excurson" as a "drop you off in Merida and you make sure you get back on a bus and to the ship before the ship leaves" kinda deal. So, say the last bus breaks down...this is just a bus...not tied to this particular excursion. Is there a Carnival person on the last bus or on all the buses? How do they know the bus broke down or you missed the bus and took a taxi? And, what if the taxi breaks down? Are they gonna pay to get me to Coz to catch up with the boat, get me home, what? I know the deal about "excursions" and waiting but this seems a bit hard to control as far as Carnival and keeping up with you.

They will not wait for you. All Carnival excursions will contact the ship if there is a delay in getting you back. If you are not on one of their excursions, it's up to you to make sure you get back in time. If not, the ship will leave without you and it's up to you to catch up with the ship.

On our last cruise the last port was St. Thomas. There was a Carnival employee standing at the beginning of the pier. She waited until all of the pier runners were past her, then she radioed the ship and they started pulling the gangplanks. She boarded and away we went. (That's one of the reasons why we love having a balcony! :D You get to see all of that stuff.)

They will not wait for you. All Carnival excursions will contact the ship if there is a delay in getting you back. If you are not on one of their excursions, it's up to you to make sure you get back in time. If not, the ship will leave without you and it's up to you to catch up with the ship.

AGAIN...this IS a CARNIVAL Excursion! But, it's a Hop on and Off Bus Tour to Merida. The Excursion info says there are four stops and you can "hop on and off" as you like.

I once booked a Carnival excursion and they gave us a taxi voucher to take a cab to our tour and a voucher to get back. It was a Carnival tour, but it was up to us to get the cab back. If we were not back, I doubt they would have waited since it was our responsibility to get back, but who knows.

Exactly. This is what I'm trying to figure out. I guess I'll call Carnival and ask on the ship. And, yes...the difference is I can book this through Carnival for $49 or independently for $10. If they won't wait for me or get me back to the ship, no reason to spend the extra money!

Archived