Carnival & Maya Key question

2Okies

We just booked the Maya Key excursion with Carnival in January.

I couldn't find on the website anywhere the answer to this question. Where does Carnival pick up those going to Maya Key? Do we shuttle over to Coxen Hole & then catch a boat to Maya Key, or do we leave directly on a boat from Mahogany Bay to Maya Key? If so, how long is the boat ride? I think I saw someone on CC mention it was about 20 minutes, so I figured that was from Mahogany Bay. I assume there will be a place inside Carnival's port to meet the Carnival Excursion?

I just got the emailed receipt, and I thought it might have more information regarding where & when to meet, but it didn't.

Also - do we need to take towels from the ship, or are they provided on the excursion?

I look forward to hearing from someone who has taken this excursion from a Carnival ship. We will be on the Magic.

Thanks!

Althought I can't answer the question about where you meet when booking with Carnival (we did the excursion when we were on NCL and docked right there at Maya Key), I can "show" you the distance. This is us sitting on the Carnival Dream in Mahogany Bay. You can see the air plane strip and the little island right after that is Maya Key. So it can't be too far of a ride. :)

P5140532-M.jpg

Yes, you will need to bring your ship towels to the island.

I have a review on Maya Key in my signature line if you haven't already seen it. :D

I just got the emailed receipt, and I thought it might have more information regarding where & when to meet, but it didn't.

You will get the meeting info when your tickets arrive in your cabin during the cruise...

Hopefully somebody who has taken this in Roatan can tell you what day and more details.

Bill

You will get the meeting info when your tickets arrive in your cabin during the cruise...

Hopefully somebody who has taken this in Roatan can tell you what day and more details.

Bill

Thanks Bill. We will be looking for them there. I don't think we've ever taken a "ship" excursion, and didn't know how it worked. We've always done things on our own, but this excursion sounded pretty good.

Althought I can't answer the question about where you meet when booking with Carnival (we did the excursion when we were on NCL and docked right there at Maya Key), I can "show" you the distance. This is us sitting on the Carnival Dream in Mahogany Bay. You can see the air plane strip and the little island right after that is Maya Key. So it can't be too far of a ride. :)

P5140532-M.jpg

Yes, you will need to bring your ship towels to the island.

I have a review on Maya Key in my signature line if you haven't already seen it. :D

Thank you for the picture! YES, I have read your review - and it is the main reason we chose to go with this excursion. It sounds like the snorkeling is awesome (right?) and that is definitely what we are looking for at Roatan. It was a hard decision whether to do this, or to go to West Bay and snorkel off the beach there. They both sound pretty good. In the end, I decided we would try this - this time. It sounds like Roatan is going to be good for snorkeling just about anywhere! I hope we will be back again.

And - by the way, Mitsugirly - It's also because of your "reviews" that we are going with cavetubing.bz in Belize. I've enjoyed reading them, and the pictures help tremendously to decide where to go. Thank you for the time you took to do those. I've referred quite a few other people on these to go to your name & look at your reviews.

We've also been to Chankanaab in Cozumel, but we're going to try the Money Bar I believe this time. It sounds like the snorkeling will be good there, and we can spend less and do our own thing. If we get tired of snorkeling, we can always head to town for shopping. Cozumel is EASY. We've always loved it there, and we're not afraid to just wing it there.

Thanks again for all your help!

Thanks Bill. We will be looking for them there. I don't think we've ever taken a "ship" excursion, and didn't know how it worked. We've always done things on our own, but this excursion sounded pretty good.

I've done 12 cruises on Carnival and I think we have done 3 ship excursions and two of them were on our Glory cruise, when a hurricane hit Costa Maya, dead on a week before we sailed.

I knew the itinerary would change, but we did not know what Carnival would do. (wound up subbing Key West and Progresso for Costa maya and Belize, which we LOVED)

Your room steward will usually leave your tickets and a sheet of paper with instructions on where to meet your group on that morning.

I wish I could remember if we got the tickets on the first evening's turndown or the evening before the excursion.

Bill

A few years ago, the NCL Spirit docked at the Carnival port Mahogany Bay. This is the only time that I did the Maya Key tour. On the tour, we were taken to Maya Key via a boat. NCL no longer uses the carnival port and has switched to Coxen Hole which is right next to Maya Key.

Enjoy your trip as this island is nice. Make sure that you take some bug spray as you can get bitten by the sand fleas if you lounge on the beach are there.

We went on the Maya Key excursion(w/snorkel) through Carnival this past January and we met our excursion group at the time suggested inside Mohagany Bay Tourist Village. From there, the guides walked us down a walkway to a pier, just below the bridge to the beach. Once there, we boarded the boat to Maya Key and rode for about 15 minutes across the bay.

Thanks to mitsugirly's reviews and pictures of her day there, we enjoyed some of the best snorkeling we ever have had so far.

• 2 weeks later...
It has become my favorite port as well. Next time, give Little French Key a try. It's absolutely beautiful and breathtaking!

I did see your review on LFK as well and coincidentally, I had them booked for the last trip we made there and cancelled for Maya Key! :cool: So, we'll see; perhaps this next trip.. :)

Archived