Anyone Know About Rimowa Luggage?

kitty9

Rimowa is a German brand. I would say, it's like Porsche when you buy a car or Montblanc when you buy a pen?

We have a couple of Rimowa suitcases. The aluminum color ones are the most popular models. It scratches and dents easily, but it's the beauty of it IMO. :)

If you can't stand any dents on your suitcase, don't buy it, because these models are more expensive than the others. As far as I know, they are still made in Germany, while the other plastic like models were made in Czech.

Yes, they are very sturdy, light weight and easy to carry/move. (with the 4 wheels) We have the same size of cases, one in aluminum, another in black plastic matt color. The plastic one is much lighter than the aluminum one.

One of our suitcase lost a wheel on our last cruise. We got 2 wheels as replacement sent from Rimowa without cost within a couple of days. In Germany, we have 5 years guarantee. Not sure how it's in the US or other countries.

Hope I have answered your question ;)

There are numerous lines within the Rimowa brand. The lightest weight is called Salsa Air, made of the same material as the other Salsa line (100% pure virgin polycarbonate), but with less hardware, smaller wheels, different internal packing system. It has a single pull handle...a feature that some people don't care for. The single pole pull handle doesn't easily allow you to hang another piece on top.

Then there is Salsa, a kind of combination of the above Air and Salsa Deluxe. We only have it in matte black and matte grey, I really like this one. Then again, I look at luggage all the time and find I see it different than most people. It has a zippered packing area on one side and a cinch down area on the other. The pull handle is double, so easier to hang another bag on top.

The Salsa Deluxe is what we sell more of. A bit heavier than the Air, but with the cinch down interior that people really like, double pull handle, an add a bag strap attached to the front of the bag.

The wheels are the best around, not even carpet will obstruct the rolling of the bag. The wheels are easily replaced, some of the lines include the tool needed for replacement, the company sends out wheels free. We even have a supply of them on hand (sometimes not matching, but they get you by until Rimowa sends a replacement).

There are other lines, such as Topas and Titanium that we have very limited amounts, or have to special order.

I don't own a piece myself, but my sister does. Every time we cruise together, I'm jealous of her luggage.

The warranty in the US is 5 year. The only time I've ever seen a piece on sale is when a line is discontinued or a color discontinued. In the 6 years since I've been working in the luggage store, only once have I seen a whole line go on sale. That was about 2 years ago. Most of the time when we have a customer buy one piece, they come back for more later on...different sizes.

You can see the whole line here: http://www.rimowa.de/main#products

Archived