Splendor out of NY in May

oneboysmom

Hi, was wondering if anyone has taken a cruise out of NY in the early part of May and what kind of weather I should expect. I'm an 8 hour drive away and it seems the NY warms up faster than Toronto does. Also, how fast can we expect the weather to warm up to shorts weather?

Thanks for any info you can bring!!

Hello to my fellow Canadians!

We just cruised out of NYC in April. We wore hoodies over our short sleeved shirts and long pants. Remember, it is quite windy going out of port. But it was sunny and beautiful. It should be pretty much warmed up by the next day.

If you have never sailed out of N Y you are in for a real treat. Make sure you are on the top deck so you can see everything. You wiill see the lovely Freedom tower on the left, the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island on the right. It is just beautiful. You go under thre Veazzano Bridge. You will really enjoy yourselves. It is a long and enjoyable sailaway.

Have a wonderful cruise!!!

As long as its seasonal, it should be pleasant through sailing.

But once the ship starts moving, it will get QUITE cold. I was sorry I through my jacket in the car after parking. It also felt cool in the terminal in the shade with the wind blowing. I did end up using my stateroom bathrobe for my trips out to the balcony. Without it, it was unbearable.

By the next morning, you will be at the bottom of New Jersey and in the gulf stream. Providing nothing is blowing through, it will be quite warm, and you will even see Caribbean blue water if you look at the wake.

We sailed on the Splendor this past May and had beautiful weather! The center pool has a big cover, so if it's a bit chilly they close it and it becomes a large indoor space.

P.S. we loved the ship and we are sailing on her for New Year's. THAT should be interesting!

I was on the Splendor May 1st of this year. It was a beautiful day and people were in the pool (with the roof open) right after boarding.

The weather was beautiful the whole time(except for one sea day that was pretty much a wash-out) and lovely weather at all three ports, Grand Turk, Nassau and Half Moon Cay.

I live in NYC and sailed out of NY the beginning of May the past three years. We are doing it again in May 2014. It is so nice not to have to purchase airfare. As others have posted the weather can vary but mostly mid 60's to mid 80's.

When we cruise my DH wears shorts and I wear capri's. I carry a jacket or sweatshirt on board for sail away since we like to stand on the upper decks at the front of the ship and it will be windy. After sail away the jacket usually comes off.

Even though we live in NYC nothing beats seeing it as we sail past Manhattan, Statue of Liberty and under the Verazanno Bridge. On return the sunrise over Manhattan was just as impressive.

Sunrise over Manhattan on Sept 7, 2013 showing Freedom Tower

http://s989.photobucket.com/user/dragonfly94-2010/media/IMG_2381.jpg.html

http://s989.photobucket.com/user/dragonfly94-2010/media/IMG_2418.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

Sunrise with Verazzano Bridge in background.

http://s989.photobucket.com/user/dragonfly94-2010/media/IMG_2360-1.jpg.html

Give it a try, you may like it. The weather is usually nice in May.

We love driving from Toronto to NY and have done it in all four seasons. Our two cruises on the Celebrity Summit were both at the beginnning of May and I found the weather to be hot both times. Standing in the sun at the back of the ship for our CC sailaway party was almost too warm! A light jacket should be all you might need at that time of year, if you even need that.

Ditto, we've sailed out NY both in April & early May - it's usually rather warm & sunbathing weather by the next afternoon, the morning might still be a bit on the chilly side - sometimes, windy depending on the Gulf jet streams.

Don't forget your suntan lotion ... :p

Prices for parking at the MCT has gone up but shop around for options nearby, and if you plan to arrive one or two days early, staying on the Jersey side of the Hudson River, you might get lucky & find a stay-park-cruise package for the week. It's still cheaper for many to sail out of NYC instead of flying down to Florida ... hate flying with airline's nickels & diming, and, dealing with TSA's security theater (our bias, of course.) Enjoy the Cruise ! We will be on the Splendor ourselves in 3 days - YAY - nailed a 8B balcony for 3 of us for a great price, almost a steal at the last minute (watch for a post-cruise review)

Archived