Tips for Butlers?

Aruba76

Thanks to both Mary Lou and DDBINK1. That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Appreciate it!

I'm sorry if my information didn't give you what you needed, but I stand by what I said. Asking people what they tipped someone is like asking what they paid for their cruise or their flights, or what they tipped their waiter in any restaurant. It's all personal and dependent on many different things such as a person's financial status and their perception of what's exceptional, above and beyond service. Some might think that a butler just doing his job isn't worth additional compensation, while others might ask a butler to do more things than most other passengers and therefore they might want to give a bit more. For one person, leaving $25 extra could be considered a pretty large amount, while for another $25 is paltry. No amount is considered either right or wrong---it's just what YOU feel is fair or warranted.

In suites, there are 3 people involved. We were in a CS suite on the infinity and had our butler, our room steward and her assistant. The assistant cleans the bathroom EVERY day. I chose to leave a $20 tip in an envelope on the counter in the bathroom with his name on it and a thank you note. They are the least paid and their service may not be noted but anyone who cleans bathrooms deserves extra in my book! He had a big smile on his face when he next saw us on the last day.

Yes' date=' I acknowledge that tipping is personal. Yes, there are gratuities included in the daily amount, etc., etc., etc. This is not the information I am seeking, and I really don't need the standing "tipping rhetoric"

I simply want to know from those folks who have provided an additional gratuity to their butlers for outstanding service, the approx amount on a per day basis. Thanks.[/quote']

I guess that you misunderstood my post. Tipping is personal, everyone has a different experience/requirements and the best benchmark you have is the daily amount for the butler. Look at it. Work out the butler's portion of your total prepaid tips for your length of cruise. Then say, "does my experience merit double the standard tip, half the standard tip extra, no extra, three times .... etc". If you do this with whoever is sharing your suite, you will easily come up with an answer. Then do that for everyone else who has given you service on board. Believe me. It is what my husband and I do every cruise and it takes just minutes. It is, I assume, what you do when you eat out in a restaurant. You know what the norm is in the area in which you live and you think: "the service I just received was poor/OK/great; I'll time less than the norm/the norm/more than the norm".

Sue

Archived